It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 5:23 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello again. I was recently switched from suboxone 8mg film to subutex and the kind I got were small round and white with an arrow on one side and an 8 on the other.

They didn't do anything for me and after 4-5 days I was in withdrawal, everything except diarrhea and vomiting.

I have done a lot of reading and see that some folks have more success with different brands. Can anyone please tell me which brand is working for them(especially if they had the brand name film first)

I am currently appealing my insurance company to allow me to be covered for the brand name. Anyone have a rough idea how long that process takes? I appreciate your time.

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 11:42 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Bump**

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:54 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Just to clarify, there is no such thing as 'brand Subutex'. Subutex was removed from the US market about 5 years ago or so, and plain buprenorphine comes from 5 or 6 generic companies. Each pharmacy uses a wholesaler chosen primarily based on cost-- especially for a med like buprenorphine, where customers don't have much purchasing power.

Some insurers cover only generics, and some cover brand name drugs for a higher copay. Your choices with buprenorphine come down to:
1. The premium products, i.e. Suboxone Film, Bunavail, and Zubsolv;
2. Generic buprenorphine/naloxone a.k.a. 'generic Suboxone'; and
3. Generic buprenorphine a.k.a. 'Subutex'

If you talk to an insurance rep on the phone, realize that most of them have no idea how the different meds are related. You have to ask, specifically, if each one is covered-- because sometimes they are not listed together in the rep's information. At least that's the impression I've had from speaking with insurance companies.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 7:02 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you. Have you tried bunavail or zubsolve? Have a preference on them?

PostPosted: Tue May 31, 2016 8:17 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I've had patients on both. Bunavail is very sweet, and Zubsolv is menthol-flavored. They all do the same thing, i.e. deliver about 2 mg of buprenorphine into the bloodstream. Bunavail is applied to the inside of the cheek instead of under the tongue, allowing people to talk while dosing; Zubsolv dissolves very quickly, yielding a higher concentration in saliva adjacent to mucous membranes under the tongue... so Bunavail 4 mg has a 50% absorption, Zubsolv 5.7 mg has a 30% absorption, and Suboxone 8 mg has a 25% absorption. Each one delivers the same amount of buprenorphine.... but each tastes different, and each has different insurance coverage.