It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:59 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 8:42 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, my name is Kevin and I live in El Dorado Hills, Ca. I have been taking suboxone for approx. 3 years. Dose has been between 12mg and 16mg daily. Yes I have went up to 24mg. per day for awhile but not common over three years. Today i find myself in a hard place. getting refills from my doctor isnt easy. never has been. but my last visit to the dr office on 10/16/13 we decided i would try and detox. so my dr. called in 8mg for 30 day prescription with no refills. well i have ran short by two weeks. I continued to take my 12mg - 16mg. dose like usual because anything less made me feel different and i didnt like it. suboxone ove three years has reduced my ability to deal with any levels of pain. so i have no suboxone and its friday. can i go to the er in folsom, ca and get a three day supply to get we through the weekend until i can see my dr on monday? please help, i am weak.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:12 pm 

Hi Kevin,

Welcome to the forum. The only thing I've read about going into an emergency room was that it's a pain in the butt to get some Bupe. If you can convince them to give it to you, it is only for one day, and no more than three days total. Don't quote me on that.

If I were you, I'd call the doctors emergency line and have them relay a message to him that you are out and going through withdrawals. Be honest. Tell the operator to tell him that you just could not wean down w/o ill effects and that you'll make an appt. on Monday to discuss it with him. That is all I can think of to do. Better yet, ask them to request a call back from the doctor and tell him what happened.

I also deleted your other post that was a duplicate of this one. You only need one post to get your message across.

Sorry dude, I hope you can get ahold of your doctor. If all else fails, try to get some comfort meds and hold on.

rule

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 9:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I feel shame about everything i do. i feel like a bad person because i am an addict. I have been to five rehabs and still here i am addicted to suboxone. the circle never ends and i am tired. I have tried for the last 6 years getting sober and am losing hope. I am just talking out loud to who ever wants to listen. I am tired.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:11 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

You know Kevin your honesty here is amazing . Quit feeling sorry for self , and never let this happen again .... Now you have to feel like your begging .... 8 mgs is a whole lot better than none .... Maybe you have some depression issues , this time of the year kills me also , grow from this but please don't blame anything but your behavior ( as in taking more medication than your supposed to ) Suboxone has no feelings ...... Good Luck , Mike

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 10:37 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Good luck! Its worth a try, though you may not have much luck. I'm sorry :(

Were here to listen. The one good news I can give you is it seems that when people come off large doses, it takes quite a few days to feel the WD. Sub has an extremely long half life.

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You need to get past the hurdle of lowering your dose. 12-16mg is quite a bit and in a lot of cases, just not necessary. I know it feels uncomfortable to reduce your dose, and is very scary in the beginning, but I promise you, at those levels especially, it is more mental. You won't go into withdrawals and should adjust shortly to each drop. Can you call your doctor, tell them you failed to wean yourself down, and would like to try it again the correct way? See if he'll give you 12mgs for the first week of the month, 10mgs for the 2nd week of the month and 8mgs for the remaining weeks. You have to stick to it though, so your drops are never that drastic.

Don't beat yourself up for being an addict. That's like someone with cancer being mad at themselves. Just make wise choices when dropping doses and you'll feel better about yourself.

Suboxone actually works when it's taken how it should be. Just find the courage to push past a bit of uncomfortableness, and once you discover a lower dose eventually works the same, you'll feel much better about the whole process.

Good luck-

PostPosted: Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:33 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I agree with someone's post before, clinical depression is a very common place for addicts like ourselves, and as stated this time of year tends to make people even worse. Subs will also in my <opinion> make you depressed, as will the cycle of this disease, ie W/D. this is not your issue at this time I know but just know you are not alone. I too suffer from the same things you speak of. I would do my best to try and get to you dr. and do this much slower and be strong and don't look back. you are going to feel like shit the whole time coming off this drug, but you I am sure you realize its easier with a taper than just stopping. It can be done but it will be a bit of a rocky road for you. You should be able to get away with 20% reductions with mild W/D. you will have stable days mixed in too. I think you did the right thing with the subs as you were attempting to get yourself better and stay away from other things. I don't know that the ER will be of much help. someone (livin) posted on my site about a shot you can get that will block you receptors for 30day during the acute phase of this. May be worth looking into. I wish you luck but see the writing on the wall I don't think you dr. wants to prescribe subs for you much longer so be honest and see if he can give you a better taper plan and more time. I know this whole thing sucks but hang in you can do this.

(Added the word "opinion" because I think you meant for it to be in your sentence. I would add the word "opinion" if I didn't think you meant for it to be in that sentence about depression. Since you probably can't site scientific evidence to back up a statement like "subs make you depressed", it's probably best to include that it's your opinion. Thanks, Amy)

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi everyone. Thank you all for your kind comments. Well I went to the ER this morning and was there less than 45 minutes. They said they do not prescribe suboxone and the only thing they could do for me is give me a script of percacet and adivan. wow. so i went to the pharmacy and my pharmacist could not beleive the hospital prescibed me these drugs. He said they can prescibe me straight buponorphene for pain and they dont need a special lisence. my pharmacist is working right now to info the hospital and trying to get me a script for buponorphene. I will keep you posted but it is good news that any dr. can prescribe subutex for pain without a special lisence. Stay strong my fellow addicts, we can do this!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:47 pm 

That is awesome that your pharmacist is going to bat for you and working with the hospital!! I wish all pharmacists were that helpful!

Your pharmacist is exactly correct, of course. Suboxone can be written off-label for pain. There are quite a few chronic pain patients who aren't addicts but take suboxone for chronic pain. The fact that suboxone has a "ceiling limit" means that pain patients do not need to take more of it over time like they do of other opiates.

I hope that your pharmacist is able to convince the hospital docs to help you! Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 3:55 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy.....Thanks a lot!!

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2013 10:27 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Wow, I cant believe the would prescribe you percs over sub. Just flat out crazy, this is the whole reason you are on the subs it to stay off the opioids. Well I am also glad you pharm d is working for you. Hope all works out for you and keep us posted. DB

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2013 4:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

The only way I was able to get down to 3-4mg was by running out and making the script last. You will be amazed how little you can do and still stay alive. It's not easy for sure but it can be done. My goal now is to be free of subs but that only happened because at one time I had to cut down. You can do it.