It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:18 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have been taking roxy's for almost 2 years I take between 4-6 30 mg a day by mouth and 0.5 xanax
at night before bed ,I got my presription for suboxone strips i am a single mother alone no help at all and I wanna be clean I am scared I dont know when i should take the suboxone i need to be functioning to take care of my 2 year old.. Please Help!!!! :( :?: :?: :?:

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 3:46 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

singlemomof2 wrote:
I have been taking roxy's for almost 2 years I take between 4-6 30 mg a day by mouth and 0.5 xanax
at night before bed ,I got my presription for suboxone strips i am a single mother alone no help at all and I wanna be clean I am scared I dont know when i should take the suboxone i need to be functioning to take care of my 2 year old.. Please Help!!!! :( :?: :?: :?:

Hi single momof2 and welcome to the forum. You will find all the answers you need here. I am not the expert on roxy's but I have read a lot of posts on this forum about it and one thing is not to TAKE IT TOO SOON (your suboxone) after you have taken roxys. ...it will put you in precipitated withdrawal and that is not good at all. I am sorry I don't know exactly how long you have to wait, but I would at least say 24-36hrs. You will have to go through some withdrawal from your roxys before you start the suboxone, but when you do start it you will feel wonderful and have no more withdrawal or cravings for your drug of choice.

I am sure some of the moderators and people who know much more than I do will be on here soon and tell you exactly what to do and how much time you should wait. Keep checking this page and don't give up. This is the best thing you can to for your life and the lives of your children. You just have to hang in there two or three days of feeling like shit before you can start your sub. Then the pain will all be over.
Good luck to you and keep us posted about your progress, how you are feeling, etc. We need you as much as you need us. It reminds us of where we have been!
Judy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 4:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome! Congrats on taking this huge step and entering recovery!

You said you got your prescription of sub, so I am assuming you are under a Drs care. Did your Dr go over induction? You have to be in mild to moderate withdrawl prior to starting Suboxone. You can Google the COWS scale to rate your withdrawl. The average time people wait is 24 hours but more than a time frame you need to wait until you are in withdrawl.

If you take Sub prior to being in mild to moderate withdrawl you will get precipitated withdrawl. PW is described as withdrawl times 100. It is something you want to avoid.

If you are unsure about your induction I would strongly advise calling your Dr. I hope everything goes smoothly, soon you'll be feeling great and withdrawl will be just a memory. Hope you stick around!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 6:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks guys my doctor prescribed 8 mg suboxone as needed he did not give me a exact wait time just to hold out for as long as possible before I take the suboxone my friend snorted her roxy's and she went thru withdrawl in about 14 hours however i take my roxy"s by mouth so i dont know if that is different,does anyone know if that makes a difference how you take the roxy?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not sure about Roxy since it is immediate release. I took Oxycontin (time release) by mouth and I waited around 30 hours and did fine. I think I probably would have been ok sooner but I was terrified of precip withdrawl so I decided to be safe rather than sorry.

The COWS scale is the best thing to use. It will help you to rate your withdrawl and tell you when it is time to induce.

I am curious about your Dr if you care to share. You said he prescribed you 8mg as needed, does he mean to take as much as you need in a 24 hour period? I am just a bit confused because I have never heard of sub being prescribed as needed, unless he means to take what is needed to get out of withdrawl.

I'm sorry your Dr didn't give you more information and hope everything works out for you!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 7:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Dr said cut sub in half take half wait a couple hours see how you feel before you take other half I may not need it..He never told if i should stop taking my xanax read alot different opinion's on line about not taking sub's with roxy"s

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:02 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi, please keep us posted once you take the Suboxone.
I know that Suboxone saved my life and it can make a
huge difference in yours.
My only advice would be to have a doctor with a good knowledge base
on Suboxone and talk frankly with him/her.
We are all here for you as well!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'd wait until you're in moderate withdrawals. ie not when you get your first withdrawal symptoms, but when they start to get uncomfortable or start making it hard to function. Then take Suboxone, and your energy should return.

It's probably better to be conservative.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

tearj3rker Im sorry but what exactly do you mean by be conserative? I am so glad i found this forum it has helped stilllokking for answers about the xanax!!

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 9:32 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

singlemomof2 wrote:
tearj3rker Im sorry but what exactly do you mean by be conserative? I am so glad i found this forum it has helped stilllokking for answers about the xanax!!

Most doctors do not want you to take xanax, or any of the benzodiazapines like klonopin, ativan, valium....while you are on suboxone. The main reason is because it can cause respiratory depression (shallow breathing) and even death in some cases where people are taking high doses. You said you were taking .05mg. at night to sleep I think....that is a really low dose of xanax. I would talk to your doctor about it and he may say it is fine to take it. I you tend to increase your xanax dose and take more and more, then that could be a problem because it too is addictive. You dose is so low I don't see what it could hurt..but I am not a doctor and not the one to tell you what to do really. I hope everything goes well for you and keep posting and letting us know how you are doing...

slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

He did not even mention it in my appointment the day I got my prescription for suboxone I have been taking same strength 2 0.5 xanax before bed for over a year I do not plan on increasing quantity or strength I am fine where I am at I have had a lot of trauma in the last year to where I could not sleep at night having anxiety attacks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here's that COWS: http://www.naabt.org/documents/cows_ind ... _sheet.pdf

The problem with benzos and sub comes in when a person doesn't have a tolerance to either. You have been on the xanax for quite a while and are tolerant to it. As long as you told him about it, I wouldn't worry too much. If you're concerned, reiterate it to him next time you see him that you're on it.

Like the others said, use the COWS as a guide as to when to take your first sub dose. Wait about an hour and see how you feel. If you still have withdrawal symptoms, you can take some more and wait again. You'll do this until your withdrawal symptoms are gone. Then add up how much sub you took and that will be ABOUT the dose you'll take the next day. You'll take a few days or so to stabilize and find the best dose for you.

I hope this helps. You'll do fine as long as you use the COWS and don't try to skip steps and induce too soon. Keep us posted. Good luck.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2012 11:07 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You guys have been great. I am trying to figure out the best day to go thru withdrawls possibly get some help with my kids One more question how many days will I be groggy,tired after I take suboxone? What day will I have energy to continue my daily activity's? After two years of only 1 friend knowing I finally told my mother today that I have/am addicted to roxy's I always wanted to tell her but was scared she is happy I am taking the steps to recovery

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:07 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You actually might not be tired or groggy when you start suboxone. Not everyone does. A good majority of the people, I'd say, feel "normal" almost right away upon induction. So you might feel fine immediately.

Try not to get ahead of yourself. I know a change like this is scary, but remember, it's a POSITIVE change. You're doing a GREAT thing for yourself and your family. You should be proud of yourself for making this change.

Hang in there! Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey singlemom,

You've gotten some very sound advice as to how to start Suboxone. To re-cap, it's not so much how long you wait between your last Roxi and Suboxone, it's how bad your wd gets after that last Roxi. Use the COWS scale. You should be scoring in the mild to moderate zone before taking Suboxone.

When I went on Suboxone, my habit was pretty similar to yours, but I was taking Hydrocodone (Lortab, Vicoden). Roxi's are a bit stronger, but pretty similar. Anyway, I waited 24 hours before I took my Suboxone. My wd's were getting pretty bad. I was yawning like mad, eyes watering, runny nose, wanted to jump out of my skin, diarhea had started, etc. Within 35 minutes of taking the Suboxone, I felt like a million bucks.

So, my entire transition from abusing pain meds to getting on Suboxone (and feeling GREAT) took about 24 hours.....that's it. Many, many report similar experiences to mine. A few, mostly those who have been on Heroin or Methadone report more problems getting on Suboxone.

If I had to guess, I'd say you're in for a pretty straight forward induction. Wait until you wd's get decently bad (i'm guessing somewhere around 24 hours?), take your Suboxone and BAM, you should feel pretty darn good.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:40 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Romeo is right here, I can attest to the very same thing with my Suboxone induction (when I transitioned from my habit -- which started at lortab, up to 10-15 lortab a day, from that up to oxycontin, orally...then up to snorting oxycontin, and chopping up 2 or 3 80mg oxy's per day)....

I was inducted at a methadone clinic, but now that I think back, this doctor had a scale in front of him that people here are telling you about, the COWS scale. They were checking my blood pressure..looking at my eyes...all sorts of things..so they were judging my withdrawals based on the COWS. At the time I had no clue..but I know now looking back..that's what he did. Anyway, I had been off of ALL opiates for nearly 40 hours (was my doctor purposely torturing me with the longer time?? Dunno). They had told me on Wednesday when I left the methadone clinic that when I came back on Friday, I should not have ANY opiate in my system, and that if I did, they couldn't give me Suboxone...so it scared me to death. Instead of telling me "you should probably start tomorrow morning, and go 24 full hours with taking any..."...they told me to quit right then, on Wendesday..to make "sure" it was out.

I was in HORRIBLE withdrawals. Felt AWFUL...but I think the doctor liked seeing people feel so bad, then he broke up the suboxone in 1/2 and gave me one-half of the pill (I had to leave, go to the pharmacy, fill the script, come back to him, and give him the bottle of pills)...
I think he liked watching people go from awful to feeling ok, because it made him feel like he was doing something great (when it was actually the meds doing it, not him)

But as soon as I had a full 8mg-2mg Suboxone and it was absorbed into my system, the chills vanished..the stomach problems leveled off, i wasn't jittery and moody....it was almost like someone flipped a switch inside my head that turned me in a 180-degree opposite direction. I felt GREAT.

The key, i guess, would be to MAKE SURE you are going long enough without opiate in your system.

Now, I have "played" around with my suboxone treatment, when I first got into treatment....I wasn't serious and didn't take it properly.

I would go 1 week on Suboxone...2 weeks on opiates...another week on Suboxone...back and forth....

So how did I do this?? I don't remember the exact times, but if I had taken Suboxone and run out, i would wait about 12 hours before taking an opiate (mostly I would sink back to Oxycontin from Suboxone...)
The last time I did this jumping back and forth was around July 4, 2008. I wanted to "celebrate" the 4th..so I decided to Oxy-party. And I snorted 2 80s on that Saturday...and after I did that, I said to myself "this shit doesnt work right anymore..why do I keep doing it?"

That's when I got serious about my treatment, and I haven't even SEEN an oxy since then, must less touched one. But I knew back then that I wasn't getting that high that I used to get from Oxy before I had Suboxone introduced to my system. The high was never that good..probably because I was doing Oxy within 2-3 days of my last Suboxone use..and it was still in my system and blocking the Oxy from getting me high..no matter now, I don't care to ever know that feeling again.

Suboxone can save you...or be a crutch. Depends on how you look at it, and how you face treatment. If you go into it with the mindset of saving your life, then Suboxone is your saving grace....but you have to be sincere and honest with yourself...and make sure that you're never in a situation where temptation tells you that Suboxone isn't that great, and that you should go back to the old ways, because trust me, the old ways aren't what they used to be.

You've definitely got a bit of smarts about you to have the willpower and strength that it takes to get past the first steps into recovery. For me, the hardest part was thinking that I was doing something wrong by eating pills all the time. I kept saying to myself "i'm a good person, I just like eating painkillers sometimes."
Sometimes, to me back then, was $500 to $800 a week.

How many of us here wish we had the money we had blown through or snorted/injected? (I never injected, but I know Oxy is popular for that)???
I bet we could own websites like this one if we had some of that money back -- JUST SOME of it!!! I know I could!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

You need to be in moderate withdrawals from the other stuff. I'm a single mother too and just started taking Subs 4 days ago. I had the horrible withdrawals from Norco and about 30 minutes after taking my first dose of Sub, I felt much better. No withdrawal symptoms at all! I've been able to function fine with my kids and even have a sense of well being because they're getting "all" of me and not just part of me. You can do it! If I were you, I would only be on the Subs for as long as you need them to get off the other stuff. You don't want to have a dependency on another drug and one that is expensive at that.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 9:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

lod4rod wrote:
If I were you, I would only be on the Subs for as long as you need them to get off the other stuff. You don't want to have a dependency on another drug and one that is expensive at that.

Please just remember that many people with opiate addictions NEED much more time to be on suboxone to break their bad habits/coping skills than just a short detox. The "getting clean" is the easy part! It's the STAYING "clean" (hate that word) that's the hard part. That's where suboxone comes in. While on it, it gives us plenty of time to prepare to live "without a net", so to speak.

We are ALREADY addicted to opiates and it's next to impossible to taper off our DOC. But with Suboxone we actually CAN taper off of it. With opiate addiction, there's just no free ride. We're bound to go through withdrawals at one point in time or another. So I don't look at it as developing "a dependency on another drug"...we're already addicted to opiates and suboxone is still an opiate (albeit a partial opiate agonist).

Just my two cents.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 4:05 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Tomorrow evening is when I am starting my withdrawl phase before I take the suboxone my sister is coming to stay with me for a few days I need to know exactly what withdrawls I need o experience before. I take the sub I can't find this COW List everyone keeps talking about Thank you guys for all your help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2012 5:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hat posted a link to it. Look back in the thread, it's at the very beginning of one of her posts. If u have any questions after reading it let us know.