It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 12:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 3:06 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello everyone! I am so glad that i have found this website, I am new and have some issues that need to be addressed regarding my dose. I guess I will start by saying that i have been on subs for a year and four months now. I started because i was "dependent" on lortabs for chronic pain/migraines. I was taking them daily b/c when i didnt i would have rebound headaches and then end up having to take them the next day so on and so forth. Needless to say I ended up becoming addicted but never took more than 2 or 3 a day. I got detoxed off of those but then had issues with nothing working to releive my pain so someone told me about suboxone and how it would help with pain. So the next day i was at the docs and got started on suboxone. I started at 2 mgs and stayed there for about 8 months. I then asked to be upped to three and then went up to 4mgs shortly after. All the while i was on an antidepressant which i just recently had the pleasure of withdrawling from. I have been trying for years to figure out why i was having migraines, depression, anxiety, pain and so on. Come to find out I have an underactive thyroid and adrenal gland which was causing all of these issues. I just started thyroid replacment meds 3 weeks ago and am feeling much better however i am now feeling like the subs arent working as well. I start to feel sweaty and anxious in the morning like im going through withdrawals. I split my dose up, taking it twice daily, but lately (past week) i feel like its not working or something? I am starting to have cravings for the lortabs b/c im not getting relief from the subs like i used to and i dont know what to do. I think my doc would be ok with me upping my dose however the biggest delima i am facing and the reason i am on here is b/c my boyfriend wants me to be off of the subs (thinks i never should have started them). I have been getting pressured by him for almost a year now to get off of my meds (antidepressant and subs). I told him that i would get off soon and I was planning on doing that until i read all the nasty things online about how horrible the w/ds are from subs. I am so scared to withdrawl from this drug. I hope that this all makes sense and hope that someone can give me some dircetion, i need to know if i should just go up a dose for a couple months and then wean or if i should just let the w/d feeling stay until i am able to fully dose down once fully stabalized on my thyroid meds? I want to get through all of this as safely and effectively as possible, whether staying on them for longer or getting off of them now. Thanks for your help in advance!

Sarah

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi dugal and welcome to the forum. The first thing I want to say is that deciding to go off suboxone for reasons other than YOU are ready is often setting yourself up for failure. It's generally thought that you'll have a better chance at successfully getting off sub if you do it when you know YOU are ready.

As I was reading your post it occurred to me that perhaps your new thyroid meds affected your metabolism of the suboxone - especially since you seem to be having cravings and withdrawals between doses. If you are not ready and decide to stay on suboxone, it's my opinion that you should consider raising your dose. I say this especially because you said you're having cravings. When we get to the point where cravings return, that's when relapse can rear it's ugly head.

Also, when someone is taking it for pain, usually it's normal to dose two-plus times per day. Sub's pain properties only last about 4-6 hours.

I believe there are others here who had to change their dose due to thyroid issues. Hopefully they will see this thread and chime in with their personal experiences.

Please understand that I'm not a medical professional of any kind. My ideas/thoughts here are just based on what I've learned about sub and addiction.

I hope this helps, but if you have more questions, please just ask. :)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2011 1:55 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey welcome first and for most!
But to think about quitting suboxone if it is not for you could lead to hard times down the road. But I have to say this because I was in your spot once before with my ex GF if he truly loved you he would never put you in this situation. And this is real hard for me to say but if he wants you off these medications for his own reasons and wants than you might want to rethink your future. Unless he is truly willing to really take the time and understand why you need them he may say it is for your own good but only you and you only know that. And I am sorry for being so forward but we all want the best for you and those medications you need to function. But my main concern for you is you have severe migraines and where put on strong medications to help you go about your daily life than got off them and on another medication that let you get clean and still get some pain relief and that is what you need for now and to take that away from you is not right period. I really hope you can get this figured out and also stay in this relationship but don’t stop taking medications for other people only yourself.

But the main topic at hand is should you go up or down. In my eyes you should go up and stay up till you fell you are truly ready to come down or off Subs all together. I know what it is like to live life in pain on a daily basis and it is no fun so why be miserable to please someone else when you could enjoy life with that person while on the suboxone.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2011 6:10 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If its working for you then by all means stay on suboxone! Why jump off for someone elses satisfaction? If they truly love you then they would understand what makes you happy. I forced jumped off once but really wasnt ready yet. Yes the wd is fun and you dont sleep for days, i it took me around 4 days to actually sleep for a couple hours if that. I roughed through it and made it 2 months or so, but like i said wasnt ready and relapsed. Im back on suboxne legally this time and i dont plan on tapering or jumping until i figure myself out and decide whats right for me.

I hope you make the right decesion and do whats right for you. Only you can have the will power to change not someone else's ideas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 20, 2011 3:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi Dugal. Sounds frustrating!

The toughest part is not having a partner who is supportive of the suboxone. Regardless of whether or not you've been dating pre-suboxone, it sounds like he maybe doesn't have a good sense of how stabilizing it is in your life right now. If you have a good sub doc who does more than throw a script at your every 2 months, it might be helpful to have your boyfriend join you for your next sub visit. Let the doctor know you want to spend a little time reviewing your dose in the context of giving your boyfriend a better understanding of the complexities of your situation.

I agree with what has already been said... sounds like your thyroid is functioning better and maybe kickin' out that sub more quickly.

Maybe think about YOU believe you need, and go from there. And I've also heard that same thing... if people are taking sub for pain, the more frequent they dose the better (though looking at your watch and counting down the hours between frequent dosing can be like a trigger depending on what your pre-sub use was like.

Good luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 12:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree with dopeless... you should encourage your significant other to get more involved in your sub treatment. How can they judge you if they don't understand what you're going through? I've had similar problems, but more on the end of abusing opiates and that helped me seek suboxone treatment. My "other half" still doesn't understand why I just can't be strong enough to quit using on my own and that's my point to you... if he doesn't understand what opiate addiction/recovery is like, he cannot understand what you are really feeling.

If you're craving talk to your doctor and he/she will know best if you should go up but for me (i'm still in the early stage) it helped me to prevent relapse. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

For those of you with partners who don't understand addiction and suboxone and think you should just tough it out with willpower and strength of character, I have a recommendation. There's a thread under the "Why the Anger" category called "What is Addiction". If you haven't read it already, I'd encourage you to check it out. It's also got a couple of links to articles on the subject. It's extremely enlightening and might help you in explaining things and educating your partner about addiction. Good luck with it!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.