It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 12:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 10:04 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

So here's the deal and a little backstory. I see my doctor once a month and he prescribes me subutex, the 2 mg pills. Back a few months ago we talked about reducing my dose. The first month he told me to give it a try and see how it did but he would still write my script for the normal amount in case it didn't work. Well it went well so the next month he wrote my script accordingly and told me to keep the extras in case I needed them. Over the next month I was able to cut back again but right before I went back I ended up needing dental work and used my normal dose to help with pain so I let him prescribe the normal dosage at the next appointment in case I needed it for pain over the coming weeks. Thankfully I didn't need any extra after about a week but in this time I had built up about a 3 week supply to fall back on in case anything happened.

Well fast forward to last month, due to job issues I was low on money so instead of filing my prescription when I got it I used the pills I had saved up until I was able to pay for my script. Well when I finally filled it I found out he had accidentally written the prescription for the 8 mg pills instead of the 2 mg pills. I was almost out of medicine so I had no choice but to deal with it. I figured at the worst I would only have to deal with it until today when I saw him again and he wrote a new prescription. I didn't even think that now that I have that new prescription I can't fill it because it's been only a week since I filled last one. Correct? Or is it possible that if I go to a different pharmacy than the one who filled the last one they will fill the new prescription? If not, does anyone have any suggestions on how to better divide the generic 8 mg subutex pills? They are about the size of a baby aspirin and I am currently taking 1 mg a day split into two doses, meaning I need to divide it into 16 pieces, which currently seems impossible. Also if going to a new pharmacy won't work, when is the earliest I can fill my new prescription so I can go back to the 2 mg pills?

PostPosted: Tue Sep 20, 2016 11:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey TP,

Welcome here.
Idk for sure but would this be any different than if you truly needed an additional dose increase? In other words, you were at 2mg, then at 8mg (due to Dr error but you needed the med and filled it) and if the prior 2mg script would have been used by now, then it would look like you went to 8 mg and then now need an additional 2 mg. 10mg bup is not an excessive dose. I guess its how it 'looks' to the Pharm. Are you worried of being turned down for supposed drug seeking? If it were me, I'd try it and hopefully get it filled.

I think? all states but Mississippi have a prescription drug monitoring program and if any Pharm checks, will see the last 1 yr of meds. Perhaps call block *67 so your name/number is blocked and call your/any pharmacy and explain you are on an 8 mg script and have a new script for an add'l 2 mg. Don't go into why. The problem might be the generic buprenorphine (does your script actually say subutex? that name's been gone for awhile) instead of generic bup w naloxone which carries the (mistaken) belief naloxone is of value to prevent abuse.

Worst case, which isn't bad at all, read up on the liquified taper method. it works and you can dissolve your 8 mg tabs in the right amt of water to get you to the 2 mg dose you need for the time needed to get back on the 2mg script.

Just my half a penny. Wishing you my best, Pelican

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2016 9:37 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Pelican- I've always been intrigued by the liquid taper method, but assumed it was only possible for Suboxone strips. It works for tablets as well? If so, this is exciting news (as I've been on plain Buprennorphine for about 5.5 yrs now).

TripleP- Congrats on getting your dose so low....that's INCREDIBLE!! What brand of Subutex do you take? I've been on the Roxa brand 8mg (aspirin sz white tablets which read 54 411) a long time. My dose for most of this year has been 4mg. It's easy to break the tablet in half and then break that half into half. You could then split that 2mg into half, but I find it's a little more difficult to get an even break
with smaller pieces.

My doctor has scheduled me for another reduction beginning next Friday. I'll be dropping from 4mg to 3mg. I know my pharmacy carries the Roxa brand in a 2mg tablet, but I haven't physically seen it....so
I'm pretty nervous as to how difficult it will be to split the 2mg tablets in half to total 3mg. My pharmacist has assured me they're big enough to do so, but I'm still pretty nervous.

Regarding your scripts, they're all coming from the same doc so I would think it would be ok. I believe most pharmacies are more concerned with patients filling multiple scripts from different doctors. You may run into an issue insurance wise. But, you could always pay as a cash patient (if that's feasible).