It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:00 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Dec 25, 2013 10:57 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi I have been prescribed suboxone for over a year now. I plan on completely stopping in a few days and would like to know what I am in for fully. Also if its ok to stop at 1mg because I feel like anything less is all in my head because it is such a small amount compared to what I started at (32mg). Also any advice is much appreciated. I know about immodium, benzo's, non-narcotic pain meds, etc.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

If I were you, I'd wean down a little more, to .25mg. Just take your time, if
Possible. I stopped at .25mg and I definitely experienced unpleasant wds. It wasn't horrible, but not fun. 1mg is still a decent dose. I quit 11/1, so at the first of the year I'll be 2 months off. I'm all good. No PAWS to speak of, cravings are few and far between and very fleeting. It's definitely possible to stop, but you have to be ready!!

"the only way out is through"

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:00 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

from what I have read online and been told by my Dr is mostly BS then? They all said that anything less then 1mg wouldn't make a huge difference because its not a significant amount. And that suboxone taken orally only absorbs 30% of the mg's of the sublingual strip. I.e. and 8mg would be like 2+mg's absorbed into the system. Anyways I can wait until I am down to .5 or .25 mg but I feel like I am ready to stop now and can handle a little discomfort. I just want to know if the w/d's are really as bad as a full agonist opiate like so many people say it is. Thanks

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 1:44 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

anybodies reply is welcome and encouraged I need all the advice I can get right now. Uwillbloved thank you for your reply and one other question I had for you was how long did you use before using suboxone? And I am inspired by you not having Paws, this gives me hope that all the negative horror stories I have read are mostly people who aren't having bad experiences.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 26, 2013 2:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

*Are having bad experiences.... NOT aren't oops. Mostly people who didn't follow the taper plan slowly enough or went too rapid while tapering. I would also like to ask (sorry for all these questions) what the PAWS is all about and how many people experience them and for how long. thanks in advance

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:46 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

markynfunkybunch wrote:
anybodies reply is welcome and encouraged I need all the advice I can get right now. Uwillbloved thank you for your reply and one other question I had for you was how long did you use before using suboxone? And I am inspired by you not having Paws, this gives me hope that all the negative horror stories I have read are mostly people who aren't having bad experiences.

I used oxy for about 2-3 years. And another 2-3 years before that I abused Vicodin, nothing like my recent addiction years but still took a lot of Vicodin, with months of sobriety here and there.

Like I said, I do feel good now. It's surprising actually. I was soooooo worried about PAWS because I can't stand that depressed, blah feeling, but it went away rather quickly. Exercise helped tremendously! If you google "ways to release endorphins" just start doing it ALL. seriously. It may sound silly but I did it (even chocolate, sauna, sex, orgasm, etc) I did whatever I could to release those endorphins!!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:53 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Right it never hurts to educate yourself to make things easier! Again I appreciate your reply, I am making a journal over the next month or two so I can answer a lot of questions for myself. It helps to talk to others who can relate. keep it up hugs not drugs!

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 1:54 am 

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry if what you're hearing is different than other things you're reading, but I'm not surprised that your doctor doesn't have a great deal of experience and, therefore, knowledge of realistic tapering. Doctors are often parroting what they've been told in their 8 hour suboxone class and it's often not accurate information.

1 mg of suboxone is about equal to 25 mg of oxycodone. That's still a significant dose. Whereas .25 mg is closer to 6 mg oxy.

To address another of your concerns, for most people withdrawing from sub is not as bad as withdrawing from shorter acting opiates. However, because sub is a long-acting opiate, the symptoms typically last longer and they don't peak until day 4 to 11.

There are several medications that can make the withdrawal symptoms a bit better. Clonidine is a blood pressure drug, but it's commonly used off-label to ease symptoms of temperature fluctuation, RLS, the crawly feeling, etc. Immodium, or its generic equivalent is helpful for intestinal complaints. There are more, both over the counter and prescription meds.

If you take the time to read older posts, you will find a ton of information here. Good luck and glad to have you here!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 10:22 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Here's my tapering thread: almost-off-t9343.html

Clonodine helps a lot with the creepy crawly feeling and goosebump skin. The goosebump skin was one of my biggest complaints. I absolutely hated the feeling of my legs touching my pants but i was too cold to not wear pants! But that med also made me feel obscenely lethargic. I did take it at night because it helped me sleep. Luckily I slept ok. I can't totally remember but I'm pretty sure after a week I was sleeping straight through the night.

b12 vitamins can help with energy but nothing helped me more than getting out and getting some exercise.

PostPosted: Fri Dec 27, 2013 12:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks guys, yea I am going to take it slow with the taper as my wife is getting worried I am rushing it. Your guys advice really helps me! I am currently at .5 mg a day and will take .25 the day I stop but man I am worried about how I am going to sleep still at night because I am already having trouble.I wake up early with bad neck pain and toss and turn a lot so I just get up and don't fight sleeping. It is crazy that 1mg is that much oxy in equivalent that goes to show how powerful bupe really is! My doc gave me 3 .5mg of Xanax a day, Seroquel for sleep at night, clonidine, and I have some tramadol and then 800mg Ibuprophen to take for the pain. I also have gabapentin for RLS but think I am not going to take that many pills at once geez! Anyways its really nice to have you guys here helping me through this because friends and family are here but they just don't understand what its like and can add stress! I have looked for other sites and found overall this site is the most legitimate, helpful, and has a quick response with great info! Music helps with anxiety and overall moral. Ive been listening to a lot of Eminem, jack Johnson, bob Dylan anything with great symphonies of sound carried out by powerful messages that totally alter your mood and resonate deep. I will be keeping a journal of course and will keep all you posted on how it goes. I have been active each day with walking the dogs Hendrix and Isis. stimulating my mind with new xbox one has great games and movies, internet;-). Not to mention I am running my own business I am keeping up with but because its in the trades it can get slow in the winter which is why I want to stop soon while it is still slow and I can take a week or two off. Take care all and god bless

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 6:03 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Please let me know how your withdrawal symptoms go. I am on a high dose 24mg and beginning to taper and want to take it slow. I know people can do this I just haven't come across a lot of good news since starting my research. I am just scared shitless. Good luck to you!

PostPosted: Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:32 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

The first night I slept for just a just a couple hours with the help of Seroquel and Xanax and gabapentin. My wife said my legs and arms were convulsing like crazy but I'm glad it was in my sleep. I am almost feeling completely better today. Im thinking because I was so uncomfortable while tapering I must of been w/d or detoxing from suboxone during the taper. I think this because I couldn't sleep good with anything under 1.5 mg of subs. But now its 48 hrs past my last dose and I now feel like I did when I would take my low dose of subs, just fine! Its so much more do-able then trying to come off heroin or such. I was worried about how bad these w/d were gonna be but its much better and easier then the street drugs I was using. The first day sucks but its better after that. I tapered fast too, like from 8mg to .5 in a month. Its not as bad as I thought and I wish I did it sooner. I wish I would have found a dr who specializes in treating PAWS and detox but Im sure theres not many out there. Hang in there and let me know if you have any questions. Ill stay on here keeping everybody posted

Today is day 4 off the citrus orange sublingual strips of pain relief. I haven't felt this much pain for this long in my life but its not as bad as I thought. Heck I was even able to get out with the dogs and go walking through the frozen forests of negative temps. The nights and mornings seem to be the hardest parts of this journey, but surprisingly I have been able to sleep with the help of a variety of presc meds but I am only going to use them for 2 more days then I am all on my own for the most part. I hope to be able to stop my anti anxiety meds as well I just need the sleep you know, it helps cut out some of the pain. My wife said as soon as I fall asleep my legs and hands convulse and I toss and turn a lot. I just really notice it in my neck and rls. I have heat pads which help. I don't wake up drenched in sweat like I thought I would. I had friends over for an hour the other day, all things normally I wouldn't be able to do. I remember when my dr got me off subs a year ago at like 4mg and the pain was just like street drugs, this time its much more different as you can probably tell. I'm so excited to surprise the shit out of my Dr this next Monday when I meet with him and tell him Ive been off subs for over a week. That's a huge bonus. I hope it just continues to get easier and not pay attention to the horror posts of the w/d not hitting until day 5. Some say its one step forward and two steps back. Some days are easier then others. Day 1 and 3 real bad but day 2 not? weird I know. Music helps me, Im pretty spoiled actually my wife offers massages and cooks when I'm too tired (because Im the best cook) and my brother-in-law borrowed me a elite fitness machine where you hang upside down and helps decompress the spine. Doesn't work like it does on the commercials but helps. I try anything that helps ease the pain.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:27 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there! Congrats on jumping off sub- personally I think it is a huge accomplishment because I know how scary it is when the "jump off" day arrives. You want to reach for your morning sub , but you can't.

Anyway, since you already decided to taper further down I guess this is moot. But I jumped off 1 mg like you were planning, and it's not this huge catastrophic difference between 1mg and .5 or .25. The wd symptoms will not be worse at 1mg. I speak from experience- five years ago I got off sub at .125mg, and the wds are identical. My doc told me to go as low as I could while still working and in school- and anything under 1mg was too uncomfortable while still being in the normal world.

So 12 days ago I took my last dose, and I'm doing pretty well. Luckily I'm on winter break from class, so I blocked 28 days to do this. Most importantly, get your doc to give you all those helpful meds during detox. I have 5mg valiums,.1mg clonidine. muscle relaxers for rls and cramps, trazodone, and ambien cr. lately I just take the clonidine during the day, and it's a life m saver.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:39 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One more thing- Epsom baths! They really do make you feel 95% better. But the meds are important. Even on my day 12, I'm not sleeping right even with the medications. But I do feel better every day, and it is successfully possible to taper from 1 mg. I even know people who came of 1.5 mg. Best of luck!!

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:40 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks so much for the insight. Im on day 6 pretty much and just today it really hit me hard! Rls convulsions and extreme pain even with 800mgIbup and Xanax, seroquel for sleep, and .1mg clonodine. It really wipes me out though so I take at night. I pretty much was at. .5 when I jumped and yeah its not like the dragon withdrawals from H/dilaudid but more like a flamingo withdrawal . Im curious how you feel at day 12? Could you work would you say or still feel too crapy ? Thanks

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:45 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Correction im on day 7 1/2 my wife reminded me. Man my brain is so cloudy latley. And yeah what wipes me out is the clonodine but I keep hearing its a wonder for sub detox

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 10:13 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Are you taking any clonidine during the day? Even HALF a .1 mg can help. I take it pretty consistently during the day- only side effect for me is feeling like I'm walking through mud, but if you're not taking it during the day, I recommend doing so.

As for me on day 12, my symptoms have really minimized- chills come and go, MINOR sweats and aches, and I can get abt 8 hours sleep with all those meds I'm on (ambien, Valium, clonidine, etc). I think it's more mental at this point- I'm tired of feeling like this, so I'm just frustrated which in turn raises my blood pressure, and I'll feel yucky. But when I stay calm and take a small dose of clonidine, I feel fine. I know people talk about exercising to help, but I am definitely not one of those people who can do that. I feel weak, and from responses to my postings, my weakness problems are from severe dehydration. My doctor keeps telling me that if I drink a gallon of water/Gatorade the detox will move faster- but it's hard to constantly be drinking!

Overall though, I feel better and better each day. And I'm serious about the Epsom baths- when I take one I feel like I'm totally healthy again for the next 4-5 hours. It supposedly helps removes toxins. I don't know if that's true, but I know that I feel great after. My primary complaint at day 12 is my stomach which still hasn't regulated at all. I think the clonidine has a side effect of constipation too, but I'm not ready to stop the meds yet despite my stomach cramps (minor).

I'll be seeing my dr today, and I'll see if he has any insights as to when the acute symptoms will finally subside. Good luck today ! And take more clonidine (up to .4 in a day).

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2014 1:30 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

One more thing- I read in one of your earlier posts that you were almost out of meds? You need the clonidine so even if you have to go to the ER, make sure you have it .

Also, the more you take it (meaning more days not dose), the sleepy side effect lessens. You can even cut them in half.

And I never answered your question about work, whether I could do it . Technically if I was a normal person, yes I could work and be out. But because I've been so stupid by not drinking fluids , I've put myself into something called hypovolemic shock. It's where I'm so salt deprived from sweating that my resting heart rate is 100. When I go to stand up , even just for a second on my feet, my heart rate jumps to 150-160, and I struggle to breathe. When I try to walk, I see black spots and pass out. But hopefully you've been more responsible than I am about staying hydrated with water AND electrolytes.

So if I didn't have that issue compounding my detox, yes I could see myself working with the now minor wd symptoms. Keep us posted on your progress! Stay positive , and take a bath- I swear it will be the closest thing to taking a dose of sub.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2014 10:03 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Well I am on day 9 off sub, sorry I didn't reply earlier I was just in so much pain I seriously couldnt even function. It hit me hard day 7-8 for some reason and those were the worst days for me personally. I think it might have something to do with me taking 2 50mg tramadol for days 1-5 and now just lots of IBUP. I can relate on not exercising, it has been -40 degrees average this whole week. And yes I take clonidine all times of day but a bigger dose at night and have added Epsom salt to my baths. But man clonidine takes the life right out of me I just pass out and feel like a zombie. I hope that side effect lessens for me, but my blood pressure was good at my chiro the other day so I don't think I have a high blood pressure. I don't usually take my Xanax during the day its always at night and find myself having leftovers. I got my 600mg Ibu from my wife's leftover surgery. I still have lots of sub around the house with a script of percs and I have no interest in any of them so I know I can do this. I woke up feeling better today but I hope it continues to get better from here. I have work scheduled in a day so. I also take gabapentin, Seroquel at night. In the day I take food base multi B that turns my pee highlighter green lol. Potassium/magnesium/calcium vitamin, and Imodium as well. I take with food or I would puke and try to drink hydrating fluids all day and give up my mellow yellow. I try to eat good but mostly its all sugar and comfort food, gotta eat when you can I am skinny so. I hope this can give others insight that they can do it if they stay strong and have their head in the game so to speak. Ill post later as time goes bye.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2014 11:43 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

A good saying I have heard before that I can relate to is Subs are like experiencing a withdrawal with a parachute. You don't hit the rocks right away like full agonist opiates, you glide down and bump them on your way. Its now day 10 and I am feeling almost normal. I get sleep, have energy and can function without a bunch of discomfort. Subs are for some people who need time to get their game strategy on and need time to get their life in order. Im not the Ray Charles type that can kick it out in that sudden of a way. I've heard of people using ayaheuasca or other psychedelics for perspective and that it helps remove the ego and help you see ways to change yourself for the better. Of course it's not for everybody, that stuff you gotta travel to the jungle and puke out toxins a lot. I've heard of dimethyltriptamine but using drugs you have to be careful just like Xanax or clonidine, etc. I'm all for the people who live in states with medical or rec herb laws, as for us in states without it we know how hard it is to be controlled by unjust laws. I'm more of a holistic type anyways. Hope this helps the other crazies out there like myself. peace out