It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi there,
I am new here. I decided to get help for my 3 year Norco habit after trying to quit cold turkey and experiencing 3 weeks of hell withdrawals. I survived on tramadol but was then taking the max dose of this. Anyway, it wasn't long until I was back to the Norco and now I just can't take life being run by the pills anymore. I decided this time to try the sub route. I underwent a 24 hour withdraw on Wednesday and was inducted on Thursday morning in the dr's office by the nurse. She had me take half of an 8mg film and wait 30 minutes to see how I reacted. I seemed to do OK at the time no sudden reaction. My withdrawals were feeling much better by the time I left there. She prescribed me to take another 4mg in about 4 hours or with onset of withdraw symptoms. She said to not take more than 3 - 8mg tablets in the first day but less if not needed and then prescribed 3 for 3 days and 2 for for the remainder of 2 weeks, at that time she said we would meet again and re evaluate. she said to take a half dose in the morning and when needed and always go to bed with a dose. This confused me after reading these forums because most of them say to take full prescribed dose at beginning of the day . I didn't like the thought of taking them only when feeling withdraws because that's an old habit from taking Norco anytime I hurt I would pop another pill anyway I haven't even gotten that far. after my second 4mg dose later that day I became so drowsy I had to lay down. I could not keep my eyes open for the next hour and kept feeling comatose. I also noticed that I couldn't stop itching especially on my abdomen and face/nose area(no hives ). When it came time for bed I took another 4mg and a Benadryl . I slept OK but woke up with a horrid headache and sore throat. I took another half tab and could barely drive to work. if I sit still for more than a minute my eyes begin to close. I felt like I was sleep walking all day and the itching kept getting worse. I called the dr's office and asked if I could be allergic or dose to high. She said to cut the the film into eighths and only take one of those every four hours to make sure it wasn't the dosage. I took 1/8th strip after work and within 20 minutes my nose was itching , my drowsiness was just as intense and driving home my vision kept getting blurry. Tomorrow is Saturday and the clinic is closed but now I'm scared and don't know what to do. I do not want to quit all together and get sick but I am going to hurt myself or someone else walking around like a zombie(can't miss work and raising 2 kids single mom) but what if I am allergic and once it keeps building up something bad happens. I'm just totally and completely confused ....has anyone experienced this severe drowsiness and itching????

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:46 am 

I think that it's very common to be drowsy when you're first starting out on suboxone. And itchiness can definitely be a side effect of any opiate.

However, I don't recall being severely drowsy, and the only opiate that makes me itch is codeine.

I think you have a couple of choices. You could stop taking the suboxone for the rest of the weekend and then go into the office on Monday and see what the nurse says. You don't have very much suboxone in your system yet, but suboxone is long-acting, and you still might have taken enough to keep you out of withdrawals until Mondy.

I think my recommendation would be the second option. See if you can get your mom or friend to watch the kids and keep taking the 1/8 strip every 4 hours. Keep the benadryl on hand but keep taking the sub. Sometimes, all it takes is a week or two to get over the worst side effects of suboxone. I think that you owe it to yourself to keep trying. If you can make it through and the symptoms subside, then you have a good tool for your recovery in suboxone.

Of course, if you have any trouble breathing, stop dosing immediately and go to the ER or call 911. That would indicate a true allergy to the medication.

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds like you may have had a bit of a lower tolerance than you realized. Sleepyness, headache, and itchy's are classic too much bupe. Well, actually the itchy face and nose was always classic opiate high for me.

Two options, you can either lower your dose a bit more and find the place where you feel comfortable...or you can wait it out at the dose your on and give your body a chance to adjust to the higher level of opiates in your system. It usually takes a week or two before all of these symptoms go away. Suboxone is very strong, and there are a few symptoms that seem to linger for a couple weeks when first starting, but they will go away if you just give it a little time.

Sorry for the short reply, it's late and I'm not even sure why I'm still up. If you still have questions I'll try to be more helpful tomorrow. :D

Oh, by the way...welcome to the forum!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Aug 24, 2013 1:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Well, darn. Amy posted as I was typing mine out...her post is much more thought out than mine. Just ignore me and read hers. :wink:

I either need sleep or coffee...I think I'm opting for bed.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I want to start by saying thank you both for the advice. It is nice to have this place to ask questions when you feel like there is no one else you can ask. I did stick with the 1/8 dose last night with Benadryl. I woke up with an excruciating headache and very sick to my stomach. I drank some water and instantly started vomiting. I called my Dr office to leave an urgent message and the nurse called me back an hour later. They decided that I had an allergic reaction to the naloxone, it didn't show up until it had built up a bit in my system hence the severe drowsiness and itchiness. The Dr. prescribed subutex and told me to start with 4mg and wait 4 hrs and take another 4mg up to 12mg if needed. He thought the vomiting was due to lowering my dose. I had to work today at 130 so I had 4 hrs to get myself together. I picked up the script and took the first 4mg. I felt OK at best and still drowsy. I napped before work and was feeling a lot better when it was time to go in. About 2 hours after being at work it was time for the next dose. I took it and felt great. About 2 hours after that I took my lunch hour and started to get really tired again. I had to pull over when I got a wave of dizziness and vomited all over the car :0( . After that I felt ok again. enough to make it through work. I took my last dose about 3 hrs ago and am feeling somewhat normal. So it has truly been a rollercoaster but I am hoping the subutex was the answer and the vomiting was just getting the other stuff out of my system or just my body adjusting. We will see tomorrow. I am hoping I can find a dose that is right for me and just take it once a day. Thank you both for your help, it is nice to know others are going or have gone through the battle as well!!!!!

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 2:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I will readily admit I am not doctor, so take my post with a grain of salt, but this sounds to me like too much opiate.. not an allergic reaction. I think doctors in general know very little about buprenorphine hence why they have no problems telling someone to take 24mgs right off the bat. Even 8mgs can be too strong for people coming from, say, hyrdo habits. It seems like when more and more people complain to their doctors about nausea, headaches, itching/ hives, etc.. they get labeled as allergic, rather than.. gasp.. intolerant to high levels of long acting synthetic opiates. Bupe is very long acting, so even though you split your doses in 4mgs, you still had the original doses in your system when you continued to take more. The first days doses were still active that next day when you again, took more. That was probably a lot for your system to handle but your tolerance may be raised now. Maybe the subutex will be better for you.

Good luck! Let us know how it goes.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:32 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Agree, prob way too high a dose. Sounds like classic textbook 101 opiate intoxication. Sub is an opiate!
If allergy was/is an issue then crossing to subutex would have no difference. Exactly the same drug just without the nalaxone included. Unless, as they reckon you are allergic to the naloxone? Doubt it as you are still having the sames problems without it.
I know when i first started sub i got headaches for a week. Nothing would get rid of them. And this was on only 4 mg a day!
Sub is very strong. Do yourself a huge favour and see if just 8mg or even less will hold you for a week.
Don't forget at some stage you are going to want to reduce all the way down to 0. If you don't need it why add a couple years to the eventual taper. Not to mention all the side effects you are having now.
Try not to develop a new high tolerance where there previously wasn't one.
Hives and dizziness are symptoms of allergy though
Rock in and see the Dr. Let him see the hives etc after dosing.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 3:52 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Im on subutex as well because I get side bad headaches and nauseous stomach/ache/cramp feeling that persisted from suboxone and went away immediately once I got on subutex. It does sound more like an OD of buprenorphine like other posters mentioned but if it is caused by the naloxone the good news it you will know very quickly because like I said it all the bad side effects I had went away like the day I stopped suboxone and started subutex.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 2:07 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you to everyone for all the tips! whatever it was I have taken only 8mg of the subutex today and have felt great so whether it was lowering the dose or switching to subutex either way its working and that gives me so much hope. I actually felt human today and was able to get through 10 hours of work...yeah. The Dr. did mention since I am cash pay and spent so much on the suboxone I should keep then and try to reintroduce them at a lower does later. I am going to give them a call tomorrow and see where we go from here. Thanks again for responding..... this might be a dumb question but does the Bkjmui877up make you crave sugar? I don't usually eat a lot of sweets and lately I crave them. IDK maybe just a coincidence.TTYS

PostPosted: Mon Aug 26, 2013 11:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Jenni,

I'm glad you found whatever it was that made you feel better. I agree with the others, it seemed to me from the start it was probably too high of a dose for you...hence the icky side effects. If you continue to get any bad feelings, just stick it out for a couple weeks and they will go away as you adjust to the bupe in your system.

As for the sweets...I think this is a pretty normal reaction to any opiates for certain people. Opiates always gave me a huge sweet tooth, bupe to a lesser degree but it is still there. I baked cookies last week and ate so many it was ridiculous! Plus candy...OMG, I'm hooked on those stupid air head belts with the sweet/sour combo. LOL

Good luck!

Q

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2013 1:55 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Look the dose is tooo high, tae benadril, I kicked it cold turkey but youre a single mim so you neeed themn to lower youre dose and get some benedril, youre nodding out right? I quit it and im done with it but I live alone, man I wish I could help you, It will mess with youre bowels tooo, I wish I was there to stop you from getting on it. God bless.