It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 5:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have now been on suboxone for a year, I got on it when I found out I was pregnant last January 2013 and I had my beautiful healthy daughter in August 2013 I used to be on subutex during my pregnancy but once I had my daughter I was switched to suboxone. I am on 2 1/2 strips a day and my doctor has been wanting to lower my dose however I have so much going on that I am really nervous to do so. I have lately been dealing with my daughter on my own her father just didn't show me the respect I deserved and he wasn't willing to work to support our daughter so we separated and now I am left on my own with all the finances out daughter and looking for employment which this all just recently happened since the last time I saw my doctor on top of that my daughter has medical issues due to her throat not developing correctly during my pregnancy so we have multiple doctor visits for her monthly and she has special feeding rules and medications to take so I am very overwhelmed. My doctor seems to be harder on me then his other patients some who have been on suboxone for 5+ years so this is making me very nervous to ask him to up my dose from 2 1/2 to 3 strips a day. Does anyone have any advice? I've really been trying to stick it out but I just feel like an emotional wreck and like my body can't take the stress. Please I need advice! How should I ask my doctor to up my dose?

PostPosted: Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi there!

How many mgs are each of the strips? As for not lowering, I'd tell him you feel fragile and that you want to be as sturdy as you can for your family/ daughter.

If you're taking the 8mg strips, it may be harder to request your dose be upped as you're already taking 20mgs which is usually more than enough to saturate the receptors. Of you have strips that are lesser in strength, that would explain the need to increase dosage.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:04 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am on 8mg suboxone/2mg naloxone and 2 1/2 each day but with all that's going on right now I barely get sleep and at the end of the day I feel sweaty and have a hard time sleeping eating ect.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

To be honest, at 2-1/2 strips per day, you are more than likely at the ceiling threshold. Where all your receptors are saturated with Suboxone. taking it up to 3 strips will not do anymore to how you already feel.

However, only you know if the dose that you are at is working and you should let your doctor know that you are good at that amount right now. It takes a long time for one to taper down. Especially with the stress of having a newborn and a father not being supportive is enough stress to cause many addicts to go back to full blown using.

So you are doing great exactly where you are. If you feel like tapering later to a lower amount that is your decision. \Tell your doctor that YOU ARE NOT READY yet.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey New Mom,

I agree with TD, you should be well above the ceiling level of suboxone on 20mg per day. That is a big dose, and honestly taking more isn't going to make you feel any different. Have you done any research or been told about the ceiling effect of bupe? Basically, once you get your receptors filled they stop taking any more bupe in. The extra you are taking is not being used by your body, so essentially it's just wasted. I have heard people say the ceiling level is anywhere from 6-12mg, depending on how quickly your body metabolizes the medication.

We have a great thread about this found here...
the-ceiling-t6168.html

I get that you are under alot of stress right now. And my guess would be that you are feeling tired and stressed out and your addicted mind is telling you that you need more meds to feel better. You should definitely talk to your doctor about this, but I wouldn't be surprised if he isn't willing to up your dose. Maybe you should check into some counseling or some type of meetings to help you figure out a way to deal with these feelings.

Just to be clear, I'm not saying that you have done anything wrong or saying that you aren't really feeling the way you describe. I get it 100%. But once you really understand the way suboxone works you will see that it isn't going to do any good to up your dose. Well, it might make you feel better, but only because your mind would convince your body that it should. Does that make sense?

Hang in there girl. Read through the thread I linked to above so that you will get a good grasp of how the ceiling works.

Q

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 9:37 pm 

Hi NewMom,

The only way to say it is just say it. But don't be surprised if he refuses. It sounds more like you are using Suboxone to deal with the stress of life. That is what needs to be dealt with. Your stress, and how to better cope with things thrown your way.

Research some methods for reducing stress like meditation, etc. Whether your dose is correct or not is between you and your doctor. Be yourself and explain everything that is going on. He might have a different path for treating you instead of upping your dose.

I hope you find some relief one way or another. A healthy one I mean.

Welcome to the forum!

rule

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the responses I am just confused as to why people get put on more than 2 1/2 at all then I have heard from some people that they are on 3 or 4? If on suboxone at 3 8mg strips a day or on subutex at 3 8mg pills a day is that different? Or do they both have the ceiling effect?

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for the response! I also go to therapy and take anxiety/depression medicine so it's not that I'm trying to cope with my stress by the suboxone it's just like I have the feelings I use to when I was on a lower dose and at the end of the day felt like crap. Don't know if that makes sense.

PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2014 10:18 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also I am and have been going to therapy since I was younger and I am also on anxiety/depression medicine so I just wanted to make it clear that suboxone is not my only method of getting better I just know that I am feeling how I use to before my dose was upped 6 months ago like at the end of the day I feel crappy if that makes any sense?

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2014 10:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi NewMom! How did everything go with your dr? I just wanted to throw in my suggestion as to maybe something to try. My first dr told me to take my entire dose in the morning, once per day, and a lot of the time I felt like by 10pm, that it wasn't working as good and I would start becoming restless, jumpy and sweaty. Tried the whole distraction method and that didn't help, so I started splitting my dose in half. Half in the morning and half in the late afternoon. That helped a lot. I felt like my levels remained steady that way. That method tho could lead to problems, as it could lead to further behavior issues associated with using. I guess for me I never had a problem with it because I have other medications that I have to take several times a day and just incorporated it in. My new dr seems to have decent knowledge with bupe and its effects and has recommended taking as little as possible to get by with as it is a very strong medication and it does have a ceiling affect.