All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need help for my Fiance
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 3:56 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi,
I am very concerned because my fiance was addicted to Methadone for
10 years. She was placed on Suboxone to detox from methadone. She has reached the point where no one wants to prescribe suboxone they only want to hurry and get her off of it. She does fine on it, doesn't abuse it, and it helps her greatly. When they took her off of it things went down hill extremely fast. I was completely losing her. We have a 2 year old boy and are trying to be good parents, but from what I have seen, she simply can't function without the suboxone and it just got worse and worse. I've done a lot of research and Dr. J is the only person that sees it like I have experienced. She is an addict and always will be, but is fine as long as she has suboxone. I am scared when they take her off it completely again that she will fall apart completely or relapse.
We live in Utah and have went to a few doctors and they all want to get her off of it within a month. It just isn't working.
My main question is whether there are others, particularly here in utah, that have the same attitude about suboxone as Dr Jeff. From my experience with her I truly believe she needs it as a long term medication to keep her from relapsing and basically losing her mind. I can't find anyone that sees it that way. They all just want to get her off as soon as possible. They gave her naltrexone and that made things WAY worse.
Any guidance you have in this situation would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks so much for your help.

Clint

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 6:57 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Clint and welcome to the forum. More and more doctors are seeing the increased need to keep people on suboxone long term, just like any other medication for a relapsing, fatal condition. Have you tried any of the online sub doctor locators? There is one at the top of every page here (suboxone-directory.com) and a few others (Naabt.org, samhsa.gov, suboxone.com). There's GOT to be a doctor who believes in long term sub maintenance somewhere in your area! You've just got to find him/her!

I wish I had better answers for you. Keep looking!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Clint, I would suggest using the Dr locators Hat has posted. Just start calling Dr.s and explain that your fiance continually relapses and is looking for a Dr who will keep her on long term sub maintenance. This will save you from wasted appointments. It may take quite a few phone calls but I am quite sure if you don't give up you will find a Dr to prescribe long term.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Thanks
PostPosted: Sat Oct 29, 2011 4:17 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for your help. I actually hadn't looked for too many yet. We had just tried 3 doctors in the area that could prescribe it. I will do a more thorough search. Thanks so much for the suggestions. We really appreciate it.

C and A