It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 1:22 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

hello every body so went to the doc today and got the sub he said start it once i start feeling the withdraws so last time i took anything was at 12 pm today so i have not used anything for over 10.5 hours doc said take half a pill to start if you feel better keep doseing until you feel normal am i safe to start doseing now?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:06 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Mustang,

The question isn't a matter of how many hours since you last took an opiate, but how bad are your withdrawals. Are you having withdrawals yet, and if so, how bad are your symptoms?

If by the time you read this you haven't taken your first dose yet, you could update us with how bad your withdrawals are. FYI - most doctors do an "in-office induction" -meaning, they score your withdrawal symptoms and dose you in their office so they can monitor you. But like I said, not all doctors do this - mine didn't either. Also, there's an objective scoring system to check your symptoms and give them numerical values. Other members of this community would be able to explain this better and direct you to where you can find this at.

Good luck, welcome to the forum, and please let us know how you're doing.

Melissa

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 7:29 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Unless you are coming off methadone, if you feel like crap then you can go ahead and take 2mg. I just want to be sure the doc told you to wait a couple hours in between doses too. I am sure you took it by now anyways.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:50 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am not a doctor or expert but recovering addict doing well with suboxone for almost 9 months.

Great job for starting suboxone treatment!! If it helps you as much as it has helped me you will be very pleased. As far as when to take, well this is hours after your post so you probably already took some....but, if you haven't yet, don't go by the hours but go by how 'shitty' you feel. Hatmaker is correct, it is not the amount of hours to worry about, it is the way you feel. You can look up on google the 'COWS' test to 'score' your w/d symptoms. But, as long as you are in moderate w/d then you should be fine. There is no magic number as far as hours when to start bupe (suboxone/subutex) treatment after your last dose of full agonist opiate (oxy, perc, methadone, dope....etc). The longer you wait, the better you are. This does not mean that you should wait a crazy amount of time (i.e. 4 days or something! lol) unless coming from methadone, but that is a whole different issue. Coming off of short acting opiates/opioids is probably the 'easiest' as far as when to wait because it should be the shortest amount of time that you would have to wait (approx. upto 24 hours). A time release drug such as oxycontin or avinza(morphine, ms contin, palladone etc) would be a little longer of a wait inbetween pain med and sub (24hours+?). It can get tricky as far as how long you were taking your drug of choice too.

Again, go by how YOU feel! Good luck, and keep us posted!!

"Have no fear of perfection - you'll never reach it." ---Salvador Dali

Post subject: Doctor's Orders ??
PostPosted: Wed Mar 17, 2010 8:56 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi mustang06,
First Welcome to the Forum... You have found a great Resource for YOUR Recovery as you move forward! Just so we are clear.... I am NOT a Dr. or Health Care worker! :) However I am a Recovering Addict & a Recovering Alcoholic so I have some first hand` knowledge of your situation!! As far as when you should take your first dose of Suboxone. That depends on what kind of Drug you are coming off of and how much of the drug you were taking? Your Dr. should give you alot more guidence than " start it once i start feeling the withdraws " if you go to the website suboxone.com you will find some information and a short Video about the Suboxone treatment Plan.. I can only tell you my experience with the Suboxone Induction!!! At the END (I hope) of my using I was taking in excess of 300 mgs.a day of Oxycodone. My Dr. told me NO drugs for 24 - 36 hours and be in mild to moderate withdrawals when I returned to the office the next day. I did as I was told and my Induction started off with 2 mgs. in the Drs. office the following morning. I was given 2 mgs. about every2 Hrs. for a total of about 12-14 mgs. that day. All and All everything went smooth with my introduction to this wonderful Drug... As suggested I also go to counseling 1 a week. I can only hope you get as much from this treatment as I have.. It has truly saved my life... I wish the best for you in your Recovery and please keep us posted on your progress.... :D
Take Care!

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:10 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you all for your big welcomes and for all of your input so her is my story this is not my first time i am comeing of opiats or the first time i am taking soboxom it all stated back in 1997 when i had the intruduction to the big H i went about 1.5 years using H i went cold turkey but i was young back then and had no other option. then in 99 i moved to california from europe because my mother lived there and i wanted to get away from the 5 years of speed x H and all the crazy partying. so after about 3 years of the clean life i crashed on my dirt bike and was given vicodin for the pain i did not know what it was so i took it and it was a reintro to a old friend but did not get very many so the fun was sort last but the damage was done the demon was now lurking in the back of my head and as time went by i got a few here and there and then i started haveing big teeth issues like most addicts do. so many dental appointments later and many trips to the pharmacy later i was now stuck in the vicodin jail i could not get out of as i was told by the dentist that i cant give you any more. at this point i started buying on the street and came across some H well i went right back to were i started and ended up at a methadone clinic got clean and got it my life together got married had a child and was doing good then the teeth started again so here we go again so long story short i end up on oxycotten i dont recall how much but it was alot every day this time my mother finds out about this new and upcomeing detox program suboxone at that time i did not have medical insurance and only found this true a home detox person that charged alot of money the said i had to be sick for up to 50 hours before i started the suboxone when he then came to my house and started my dose it was like an angel had come to save me this stuff was amazing so i went true the program and got back on my feet life got good again i was going to na had a sponser all was good so this time same story started again with the dentist but this time the dentist was aware of my addiction and did not give me any but like a true addict i got them any way finished my dental work all the way and stopped taking the vicodin until i again crashed on the dirtbike and broke 2 ribs well you can guess the rest the only diffrence this time is i had a sponser that noticed what was going on and got me to stand up and fight this demon again
so here we are this time only 3 months of using before i got help.my induction last night went great by the way i have only needed to take 2 doses in a 24 hour period almost makes me feel high is that normal? dont remember that from last time. thank you all for reading this ranting of mine this was therapy for me i have not told many people my story even when i was going to na mettings so it feels really good to get it out there. this may not be the right spot to post this sorry was not sure where to put it. SORRY about all the misspelling english as a second laungish

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Mar 18, 2010 3:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Congratulations! I am glad you came back to let us know how things are going and I hope you stick around. This forum is extremely helpful for most of us and for me it IS the only place I can go where people really understand what I am going through.

It is normal to feel a little high if you were coming off vicodin before the sub. Sub is quite powerful compared to this. I just got back on sub and was on nothing for about 4 days prior and I definitely felt a little high to say the least. But that high feeling will go away (seems to go away a bit each day but it is lasting longer than I had hoped). So hang in there because I know none of us got on this to continue feeling like that. I just want to feel normal again. Having been on suboxone before for 2 1/2 years, I know it will make me feel normal very soon. So hang in there. After about a week or two you should start to feel great. I assume you aren't having cravings?

I wish you great success. One of the primary reasons I appreciate the suboxone is because I know I have no interest in using when I am on it. I appreciate some of the security it provides.

Take care!