It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:35 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 5:34 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hi, I am new here. I have a friend who takes prescription Subutex. I wish I knew more about what it is like to take it, what side effects there are, etc. We talk a lot, but there are some things I just feel awkward about asking, I don't want to be nosy, I just want to be a good friend. Sometimes it's OK to ask a friend questions, sometimes things just come out in conversations, and I just want to understand as much as it's possible for anyone to understand anyone else, I just want to be a friend.

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2013 8:54 pm 

One of the first things you should know about a friend who is being treated with suboxone is that he or she has taken a huge step away from active addiction and that is an incredible positive. For most people being on suboxone is NOT trading one addiction for another, although your friend may have been told this by ignorant others.

Suboxone can be abused, however, most of us who are on it don't abuse it. Most of us never feel any kind of high when we take it. Like other opiates, suboxone can be difficult to taper off of, although the formulation of sub makes it much easier than the other opiates we were addicted to in the first place.

Addiction is a relapsing, chronic brain disorder. An addict brain has a different response to the reward/pleasure cycle which causes it to want more and more of the drug over time. At the same time, the changes that occur during active addiction cause the inhibitory stops in the addict brain to be ignored. Because addiction is a chronic and relapsing condition of the brain, it is smart of an addict to stay on medication that puts addiction into remission, which is essentially what sub does.

If an addict does choose to come off suboxone, a long, slow taper works best. Your addict friend will need a lot of support when they are tapering and afterwards when they don't have suboxone to help with staying in recovery.

Your friend needs to know that you do not look down on him or her for being an addict or for treating their addiction with suboxone/subutex. Likewise they need to know that they can count on you for help if the going gets rough.

Good luck with your friend!

Amy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2013 10:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, Amy. I really wish I had someone to talk with about this. I can talk with my friend, but we don't see a lot of each other and or talk on the phone all that much. When we do talk or get together my friend usually has so many other things to talk about, just as I do, and since I'm a friend and not my friend's doctor or a therapist I just listen and talk about whatever we are talking about.

I have been there for them about other things, as they have been there for me about things, and they have also talked to me about the Subutex and about the other drugs they took before this prescribed one, we can talk to each other about almost anything, it seems. Guess that's all I need to do?