It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:28 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:19 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I suffered a fall recently and x-rays show a fractured vertebra and 3 dislocated vertebrae. I am having pain/numbness in my left leg and foot. My physician has ordered an MRI and it is scheduled for Monday afternoon. My problem is that I am horribly, terribly claustrophobic. To the Nth degree!! I tried to do it on Wednesday of this past week and they didn't get me into the machine to my waist before I freaked out and insisted on being pulled back out. Unfortunately, because of the injury and my symptoms, the physician needs a closed MRI (as opposed to an open MRI which I think I could handle much more effectively.) The opening in the MRI he is using is only 21" in diameter. Even with a blindfold on I could feel it closing in around me and I'm going to have to be in it for a minimum of 25 minutes.

My physician prescribed me 3 Valiums (5 mg.) and told me to take one an hour before the procedure. If I still felt nervous to take another one 30 minutes later and, if that didn't do it to take the 3rd immediately before the MRI. First of all, I've never taken a Valium (or anything similar) so have no idea how it will affect me. I had them on Wednesday and didn't take them because, frankly, I was more terrified of being terrified and drugged!! I asked my Suboxone Doctor if it was okay to take them and his answer was "It should be okay." I called "Here to Help" and talked to a counselor and she didn't give me much reassurance that I would be okay taking the Valium. She did tell me that there are patients that are on Suboxone and Valium, though.

My question is this: Does anyone know if I'll be okay taking this medication while on Suboxone? I can't get an answer I feel is really putting me at ease about this and I've lost many nights of sleep fretting. Without taking something there is NO WAY I can have this MRI done and I must have it done.

I certainly don't want to do anything to hurt myself, so I am in a real difficult situation. Any help, advice, suggestions, information, etc. would be so greatly appreciated!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Yes you can take the Valium while your on Suboxone. You will be fine, you should have someone drive you to your appointment. Steve

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you for your answer - I have been so worried about this - not to mention the MRI, itself!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: You will be fine
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You will be fine..........many doctor's following RB insructions that no benzos should be taken while on suboxone but I have been on benzos the entire time. My sub doc said just make sure you get them from your PCP as I don't want the liability. There are many members on here that take valium, klonipin or xanax with thier suboxone with their doctor's knowledge. This is a one time deal that is necessary for you to get through a procedure. I believe you will be fine and be able to complete the process. My PCP even though he gives me Klonipin knowing I am on sub has had me do two pill counts in the last year to make sure I was not abusing or diverting my Klonipin. Those that abuse benzos are at risk while taking sub so follow your doctor's orders and take no more then they prescribe. Good Luck......

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Here to help were probably just covering their ass. They'd probably advise people against crossing the street on Suboxone if there was any chance they could get sued if something went wrong.

My ex used to have issues with blood tests. I'd give her one of the valiums we had lying around and she was fine. I think you will be fine. The valium should help somewhat with your anxiety. It's probably the ideal thing for your situation.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:46 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks for the feedback. I am going to try to get by with only one of the 5 mg. Since I've never taken anything like Valium I'm hoping it will be enough to get me through. I've been trying to psych myself out for this MRI since I failed on Wednesday. It's horrible to be this terrified of something so routine and ridiculous. Only other claustrophobics can really get the abject terror I'm feeling. My husband thinks it's ridiculous. Thanks, again, for the feedback. It makes me feel much better.