It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 7:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:14 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello my name is B, I am an opiate addict and recently quit using black, oxycodone, both roxy and oxycontin, hydrocodone including vicoprofin, percocet etc, as you can tell I like the taste of opiates of all strengths. My issue is not taking them anymore I have made the choice to get clean and stop taking all together. However I am suffering from withdrawls and I was given a suboxone strip. I was skeptical to try and also suffer sever anxiety so trying it had me on edge. I tried a mild sliver of the strip, to test for alergic reaction ( I have anxiety hah) and put it under my tongue. No alergic reaction. But mild anxiety for the onset, I only ingested enough to barely feel its effects. My question to all of you is what are some more sever of the side effects besides like numbness in the lips. Also, to ease my mind, how long would an allergic reaction take to occure? I plan on using this to ween myself off the opiates n general, and can't express my excitement enough. But trying a new med is always a period of precautionary measures for me. Don't want to die after all. Thanks -B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:31 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Any input would be greatly appriciated.

Post subject: Weaning Down
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 1:14 pm 

Hi opihb89,

Welcome to the forum. I doubt if you'll have any allergic reaction as Suboxone is an opiate itself. It is also a partial agonist vs black, oxy's, hydro, etc are full agonists. There is Naloxone in it to prevent addicts from shooting it. Naloxone is an antagonist med that is used to disable the effects of opiates in the body in case of overdose. When ingested as prescribed (under the tongue) you shouldn't feel anything but the Buprenorphine in the Suboxone. How well that works I don't really know.

Using Suboxone to lessen the withdrawals from full acting opiates may succeed if you know what you are doing. I know of a rehab facility in Oregon that uses Suboxone to help wean addicts down slowly from opiates. What I don't know is just how much or how long they do it for. So it would be just a guess on your part on the proper way to do it.

Would it hurt so much to go to a Suboxone doctor and tell them what you told us? Let them know you only want to be on Suboxone for a short time to lessen the w/d's. I see no problem with them going along with that. Make some phone calls and ask.

Are you dead set in doing it this way? If so, I wish you the best of success and hope you have a good long term recovery plan.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum. I wouldn't worry about an allergic reaction if you haven't had one already after taking a small piece of your sub. The biggest side effects that I experienced when first taking sub were (listed in the order I got them the very first week):

Headache behind my eyes with tension in my neck and shoulders, accompanied by slight nausea - I tried aspirin, ibuprofen, and acetaminophen and nothing worked. I took naproxen (Aleve) last, and all of these symptoms went away within an hour. I got this same headache and tension for the first week, and then learned on this forum that if I spit out the excess saliva (which contains the naloxone) that accumulated in my mouth after the sub had melted, these symptoms went away.

Irritability - This happened after a few days of taking 6-8mg/day, so I lowered my dose and it went away within a couple of days. Everyone reacts differently, so you probably won't have to worry about this since you are taking smaller doses.

Constipation - I didn't notice this until 9 days went by without having a bowel movement. I'd suggest taking a stool softener, and then a some kind of bowel stimulant after a few days if you haven't gone yet. My doctor said it is ok to take Colace (softener) every day if needed, and stimulants only occasionally. I use milk of magnesia, sennosides, Dulcolax, and Miralax every few days just to make sure I go.

This might be way more info than you need, since you are only taking a small amount, and like I said, everyone's body reacts differently. But these were the main symptoms I experienced when first getting on sub that I wasn't aware of beforehand.

None of these side effects were bad enough to make me stop taking sub. They are all worth it for what sub does for me. You might find that it helps your anxiety...it helped my depression and shoulder pain the very first day I started on subs, without me even expecting it.

Good luck and keep us posted on what you decide and how you are doing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 2:36 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

If you have insurance or money, going to a sub doc would be the best thing to do. If not, you should know that the side effects should not be nearly as uncomfortable as opiate withdrawal. If the side effects outweigh the benefits, then it is not really worth it. In most cases, the benefits outweigh the side effects.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 30, 2012 3:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for your support. My story with opiates is a somewhat long story as I race mountain bikes and do many extreme activities and as you can imagine getting injured is part of the game. Shoulder and ankle injuries in specific pushed me to self medicate and follow specific prescribed pain regimines. I did only about 1/16 of the 8mg suboxone strip and it helped with sleeping, and of course the aches and pains.

I did however feel some nausea and slight shoulder and neck tension not long after using subs. But my anxiety subsided soon after I git relaxed but the 24-48 hrs after using black, oxy ect was pretty miserable. Not to ment
ion I work full time so I NEEDED something.

I will take your advice and visit a sub doc to find a plan that works. I would like to stay with a short term plan to ween off opiates altogether. Suboxone seems like a pretty good way to acheive this. Thank god for health insurance I feel for anyone struggling without it and my hopes go out to them.

I love forums and I can't thank you all enough for your advice and input. Feel free to continue this discussion with me while i proceed onto my path of success. God bless and thanks guys! -B

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

opihb89 wrote:
Thank you all for your support. My story with opiates is a somewhat long story as I race mountain bikes and do many extreme activities and as you can imagine getting injured is part of the game. Shoulder and ankle injuries in specific pushed me to self medicate and follow specific prescribed pain regimines. I did only about 1/16 of the 8mg suboxone strip and it helped with sleeping, and of course the aches and pains.

I did however feel some nausea and slight shoulder and neck tension not long after using subs. But my anxiety subsided soon after I git relaxed but the 24-48 hrs after using black, oxy ect was pretty miserable. Not to ment
ion I work full time so I NEEDED something.

I will take your advice and visit a sub doc to find a plan that works. I would like to stay with a short term plan to ween off opiates altogether. Suboxone seems like a pretty good way to acheive this. Thank god for health insurance I feel for anyone struggling without it and my hopes go out to them.

I love forums and I can't thank you all enough for your advice and input. Feel free to continue this discussion with me while i proceed onto my path of success. God bless and thanks guys! -B

From one new poster, subtaker and MTBer to another. Greetings! I started collecting injuries in my teens from BMX, Football, Soccer and sports but they didn't play a major roll in my life till now. Not sure if I should bother creating a new thread or just tag along since there's been some good answers already.

I've been taking tab's for a couple years now, the harder I worked/played the more I needed. After years of abuse with this older body I knew I couldn't break the habit alone this time...So I found a subox doc and managed to bring a friend along as well. We both started this week. She's doing great, fantastic actually. Me on the other hand......

I was prescribed 2 x 8mg strips daily. The first 30+ hours went well but I didn't follow doctors orders, like "b", I was very nervous so my first two doses were 1/2's 4mg partial dose. I took half "4mg" when received that afternoon and another half that night. The next morning I took half "4mg" at 8am and felt good all day. At 4pm yesterday I took another Half "4mg" and a reaction crept up. bout an hour later I was feeling buzzed with like a rejection withdraw, slight temp increase, shakes and rushed. It leveled off then turned into a physical withdraw but I was able to get a few hours rest. I woke up around 3am and took 1/3 which gave me a lesser but similar effect. At this point I'm kind of lost as to take a full "would be hard" or just keep taking 1/2 and 1/3 till it balances. "no more than 2 x 8mg a day". it's very uncomfortable but not overwhelming at this point. I've broke habits before and know the strength it takes.

It sucks, doctor is off for the weekend. I know my body is beat so the subox is probably becoming acquainted. I wasn't in full withdraw at the start. 10 hours after taking my last pill I took 4mg subox. But it is odd how taking half my prescribe dose worked well for the first 30+ hours.

Anyway, original poster, "b", I hope you're back on the trails soon and for the others in this forum.....Big help, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 9:42 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Welcome to the forum SurfingWaves!

What drug(s) did you take before you got on sub, and how much? I was prescribed 24mg/day when I first got on sub, and I was a little worried too. So I only took half (4mg) at a time, and found out that that was all I needed. I tried taking both halves every day for the first few days, but it was too much for me. So I quickly got down to 4-6mg/day, and fet better.

It might have been working ok for the first 30 hours because it was just starting to build up in your system. You might want to just try taking a little less and see if you feel better. Maybe take 2mg twice per day, or 4mg once per day. You can always take more later if you need to, but sometimes with sub, less is more.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 02, 2012 12:14 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Pain, stress and sleep........I was taking around 6 loritab 10mg, 4 Xanax .5mg, and 1 Ambien 10mg. Stopped both Xanax and Tab's Thursday so I'm guessing the Xanax could be adding to the issue a bit. Doc said I could still take Xanax and Ambien till we visit in 7 days but I went ahead and dumped the Xan's anyway. No insurance blows but it's not about money.

My last 1/3 dose 3mg'ish was at 3am "6+ hours" the last 4 hours have been good, starting to drain tho. It's great compared to a flat out cold turkey but not easy. I feel like it's kick starting with the sporadic hours of welcomed normalcy. The girl-friend is doing awesome on 4mg twice a day without any issues and her habit was higher. When we talk the difference between physical and mental really stands out. She would laps if someone put a pill in her hand but she's not craving. Told her to drop the bad friends and start deleting numbers, I don't have the temptation but pay for it in the body.

Thanks for the posts, I am more nervous over taking a full 8mg then splitting them up. This forum has been great since the doc is out and you can't call a hospital or pharmacy anymore.