It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 11:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need help and advice
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 6:28 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I recently found out I'm supposed to be 6 weeks pregnant according to blood tests so I was on suboxone and tapered myself down to 2 Mgs and jumped off and detoxed but I had an ultrasound yesterday and was told I'm only 4 weeks or so which is weird be ause how could either the lab or ultrasound tech make a two week mistake. I have miscarried before and I started to stress and today I took a half of a Percocet ten mg. obviously not smart i know but now I'm regretting my decision and hoping I don't miscarry has anyone taken a Percocet while pregnant I just wan to make sure I'm not gonna miscarry because of a half of a pill. I looked up Percocet and pregnancy and there actually are many women currently talking it from 4 weeks up to 39 weeks daily. I'm just scared I know I made a mistake but I have only been on suboxone for three months and really wasn't ready to get off I didn't trust myself and now I know why.

Post subject: Re: Need help and advice
PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 9:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

First off, congratulations!

Not that I want to encourage you in ANY way to take opiates while you're pregnant, but please don't stress about causing a miscarriage from one percocet. Oxycodone itself is a schedule B pregnancy med (poses no immediate risk to a fetus.) Percocet is a Category C pregnancy med (risk unknown) due to the added ingredient of acetaminophen. The chances that you did any harm to your baby is slim to none, it's more about the harm you do to yourself when reaching for an opiate. It's such a slippery slope.

**By the way, I believe that acetaminophen is a category C med because it can increase bleeding and cause hemorrhaging during labor. It should only be a real risk during 3rd trimester around the due date.

As for the doctors setting you back two weeks... When you were supposedly 6 weeks, was that from an actual dated scan? Or were you going by when your last cycle started or when you think you ovulated? Ovulation dates can vary quite a bit and a lot of women get it wrong despite signs. If it was from a scan and measurement, it's quite common for the ultrasound techs to get it wrong that early on in pregnancy. Two weeks seems a bit extreme to be off by, but anything is possible. Do they have you set up for another scan in the near future to make sure the baby is growing? Lastly, can you post or PM me the first day of your last cycle? I might be able to help more if I knew that.

Hang in there and try not to stress out, I know it's hard.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:22 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi Itsybitsyspider!

I'm glad to see you back on the forum. How exciting that you are going to have another baby! I think I remember you saying you have at least one other child right? I'm with Tiny, you shouldn't worry about taking that one percocet as far as the baby is concerned. I was prescribed Tylenol #3 with codeine during the last trimester of my last pregnancy and had no problems whatsoever. I also know a couple women who were prescribed hydrocodone in some form throughout pregnancy. If you listen to the pharmacist and online websites they will have you scared to death to take ANYTHING! But you shouldn't worry about one slip up...your baby will be just fine.

I think the bigger issue here is how you are going to keep yourself from using throughout the rest of the pregnancy. You mentioned that you didn't trust yourself and weren't really sure why you tapered off the suboxone anyway. Would it be such a terrible thing if you stayed on a low dose of subutex throughout your pregnancy to reduce the risk of relapse and real harm to your baby?

I understand that you have a history of miscarriage, and only you and your doctor can decide if this is the best route for you. But I would certainly at least consider it as an option. If you aren't 100% sure that you can stay away from using during pregnancy then I would say it's a good thing to consider.

I wish you the best of luck!

Q

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 2:54 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Itsybitsy!

Welcome to the forum & congratulations on your pregnancy!!! It's actually very common for them to be off by 2 weeks. The first 2 weeks are always iffy, unless you know the exact date in which you conceived. Menstrual cycles can be off, and it's never 100% as to when you got pregnant, nor is your due date. Which is why they call it an Estimated Due Date.

As far as coming off of Sub, congrats!!! 5mg of Percocet one time is not going to harm your baby. They prescribe up to 10mg of Oxycodone and Hydrocodone to pregnant women for various reasons. Headaches are a big reason. I had a friend prescribed Vicodin for her first trimester due to extreme migraines. I was also prescribed 10mg Oxycodone for a terrible pain I had in my shoulder. And once again I was prescribed Vicodin during my second trimester. It was only one prescription each time, and I believe a total of 15 pills each. My son is very healthy and very smart.

I agree with Q and TD though. You'll need to come up with a plan to stay clean throughout your pregnancy, especially since you don't feel strong enough to not be on Sub. IF you think you aren't strong enough, I agree about getting back on a very small amount, just to ensure no cravings. It's 100 times better than a bunch of slip ups on opiates and maybe harming yourself and your baby.

Good luck & please keep us updated on your progress!! :)