It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:25 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 12:27 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hello all, I've been following this site for the almost 4 months I've been clean and on Suboxone maintenance, also following Junig's blog and videos. Great stuff but I only just recently joined and this is my first post. ( I suppose I should head to the intro board next). Anyways, as I said I've been on subs for 4 months as of next week. I am on 24mg a day. My doctor, who is great so far and seems fairly knowledgeable, though I have taught him a few things I've learned from this site, he has me taking 8mg films 3 times a day. I don't have any issues with the quantity of my dose. He told me it's okay to play around with the dosing times and I did a bit at first but I settled at morning, afternoon, and night. 6-8 hours apart. I understand why lowering the frequency of daily dosing could be more beneficial to eliminate that feeling of waiting for your next dose. I never tried taking all 3 in one dose but I have experimented with 2 films in the morning and one at night and that seemed like a lot in the morning, like I felt weird, really tired. I also tried 1 1/2 in the morning and 1 1/2 at night and that was better. Felt a bit weird on it and tired but I don't know if that is something that would go away reasonably quickly if I kept it up (I only tried it for a day or two). I guess I want to know if anybody else has experience like that, taking that much and trying to reduce the amount of times per day you dose. Do you think if I went to 1 1/2 twice a day it would be something I would adjust to? I just want some general input from others who are or have been on a similar dose and trie to cut back the number of times they take it in a day. I really would like to not have to worry, at least, about that afternoon dose. Any helpful input is appreciated. Thanks!

-Charlie

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 6:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Charlie,

Welcome to the forum!!

Dosing three times per day is usually reserved for people who are taking Suboxone to treat their chronic pain. The theory is, people taking Suboxone to address their addiction should take it only once per day, although I took mine twice per day because that's what my doctor told me to do.

I would guess if you took your 24mg dose in two equal parts, once in the morning, once in the evening, you would more than likely get used to it. If I were you, I would try taking 8mg in the morning, then 8mg in the evening and see how that feels. 24mg is a pretty hefty dose, you may find you actually feel better on a lower dose. Many of us have found that taking less Suboxone actually makes us feel better. As always, talk to your doctor about this first.

Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2012 11:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks, Romeo! It does make a lot of sense to me to dose less often per day certainly. For awhile there about a month ago I had a few week period where I often forgot my third dose until it was late enough I was about to go to bed and it didn't bother me but lately it has kind of in between doses. All the more reason to be concerned with lowering my dosing frequency, the fact that it bothers me. I may try that again and see if I'm comfortable about it. I'll give it a few days and talk with my doctor. I see him on the 27 of this month so not too far off. I've been considering bringing up a dose reduction at this next visit anyway. Plus I turn 26 in march and will be off my parents insurance so less the better financially as well. Thanks and if anybody has more input on the matter I'd love to hear it. You guys at great!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2013 1:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Dosing is a very individual thing, everyone here usually says youre only supposed to dose once a day.. both doctors that I have had always told me to do what works for me, its my recovery. I tried numerous times to dose once per day bc thats what I kept hearing.. I couldnt do it, I too take it 3x per day... 4mg in the morning, 4mg in the afternoon and 4mg at night.. thats what works best for me. Everyone is different and what works with your body is gonna be different. You can get advice from others but you have to remember that theyre not you so what they do might not work for you. I assure you though, whether youre dosing once a day or 3x a day, as long as you are doing what you need to do for your recovery you are not doing anything wrong. Best of luck to you & I hope you find what works for YOU :)