It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 4:14 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2013 10:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Finally got rid of the nausea. I also went back to using Vicodin. I need to go back to the sub. How long do i need to be off the vicodin to go back to the sub

Thanks

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 1:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm glad you want to get back on the subs. In my own case, I took my first Subutex 14 hours after my last short acting OxyContin and had no problems at all. My doc suggested at least 12 hours. Hope this helps. Let us know how you are doing.

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 9:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Its better to wait for symptoms to appear than to count the hours when it comes to induction. Ive always waited until I had a runny nose, restlessness/RLS and never had a problem with precipitated withdrawal. As we all know opiate withdrawal is miserable so when you have it you know it theres no guessing so my rule of thumb for myself is if I'm asking myself "do I feel sick enough yet to take it" its not time yet and I should wait longer.

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:25 pm 

In the case of reintroducing Suboxone again after using a full agonist pain med, (Vicodin) you really don't need to wait all that long. Here is what I did after having surgery and being on Hydro for a little over 2 weeks. I took my last dose at 9 PM. Woke up at 7 AM and waited until noon to induce back on to Suboxone. No problems at all. Ended up having to do it twice. (2 surgeries)

You'll be okay. No need to wait for withdrawal symptoms to appear like we all did when first being induced.

Welcome back to the living.

r

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:15 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks to everyone who replied to my post. I had been on the sub previous to this post. it seemed to be causing me to have a nausea problem, so I went off the sub still had nausea and vicodin seemed to help the nausea. Long story short. I kinda got better from the nausea, but now am hooked on vicodin again. I wasn't planning on getting hooked on the vicodin again. I had a serious problem with vicodin and every other pill there was. I went through treatment for alcohol back in June which went great I have been free from alcohol for 6 months. When i was going through the treatment for alcohol everything that could went wrong with my teeth. I hadnt touched vicodin or any other pill or opiate since 2011. I had 3 root canals and gum surgery. The pain was terrible and i said I would take the vicodin until the pain was gone and then quit. WRONG I wasnt really abusing the vicodin but when the pain went away I continued to take them like every good addict does. I was probably taking 40 mg a day for about 3 months. I went to the sub and was put on 8mg twice a day that didnt work got deathly sick. ended up on 4mg a day. Now I was doing 3 ten mg tablets a day for the nausea and the nausea kinda went away so i figured it was time to quit. I couldnt get away from a 30 mg a day habit the withdrawls would start and I would fight taking them and everyday I failed. I got my doc to let me try the sub again. I already knew that a high dose of sub would be to much, so my doc and I decided i would take 2mg in the morning and 2mg at night. I got home with the sub and being leary of getting sick I took one mg of sub and that seemed to do it. I waited a couple hours and decided to take the other one mg. I puked like a dog for the next two hours. The next day I didnt take any sub and I was fine. On day 3 I tried another one mg and things have been pretty good today. I dont know what to make of this, I am guessing I am really sensitive to sub, or my habit of the vicodin was so small I dont need much sub right now. I would love some feedback on this. Right now I plan on taking one mg a day, 4mg is what i was prescribed and two mg in one day made me throw up really bad. I have been a addict who has struggled all of my life with some type of opiate and alcohol. I am 65 years old and what i want to accomplish right now is some type of normal living. I had a bit of that today and it felt like heaven. If I dont take the sub I am sure I will return to my drug of choice. PLEASE IF YOU WOULD help me figure this out. I dont want to be on sub the rest of my life, but I also dont want to go in circles trying to figure out everyday how to feel better. I hope I have explained this well enough so you can understand. Your opinions and help would be greatly appreciated
Thanks Rich

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:47 pm 

Hi Rich,

I think it's pretty obvious that your daily dose should be 1 mg or below, so kudos for figuring that out! I do think that your vicodin habit is small enough that even less than 1 mg may do the trick. Does your doc prescribe the 2 mg films? If so, it should be very easy to cut your film into 4 equal pieces. Try taking just .5 mg of sub per day and pay attention to how your body feels. If you are feeling good with no cravings at .5 mg per day, stay on the sub until your life feels more stable. Take the time you are on sub to work on your recovery. If you eventually want to get off sub, you need to work on the areas of your life that make you relapse. Have a solid recovery plan in place before you taper down. Good luck!

Amy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:58 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amy, Sounds like a real good plan. Thank you for taking the time to reply. I get the 2mg tablets and by the time you cut them 4 times there pretty small
Rich

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2013 11:50 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I took the .05 today and that has carried me through the day. Amy told me to try that today and see if the withdrawls stayed away

4 days without vicodin
Started sub 4 days ago

So I have 4 days without vicodin and I am taking .05 of sub. I am already thinking of trying to go without sub tomorrow. I might have a chance to get away from it all.

The problem is I have really felt great today. I Think maybe I should just stay on the sub for a while and take my time. Amy pretty much suggested that last night. I feel stable right now and i feel good and even normal. The impatient person that I am might get me into trouble and I dont want to chance going back to the vicodin. What I am trying to do is get a fast getaway from the vicodin and the sub. Maybe someone has experienced what IM going through and could make some suggestions. My goal is to feel good and be vicodin free and sub free. I went off sub on October 11th because I thought it was causing my severe nausea, I went back to vicodin because it helped the nausea. Finally the nausea went away and i was hooked on the vicodin again. So like I said I started The sub on Tuesday and it is working. Where should i go from here
Rich

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 3:35 pm 

I think what you need to ask yourself, Rich, is how stable do you see your life as being if you go off suboxone quickly. How much support do you have to be totally abstinent from opiates? What are you willing to do to stay in recovery if you go off the sub right away? Go to meetings? See an addictions therapist?

If you need time to get these resources together, stay on the sub. Many people have jumped off sub at .5mg and they have only felt yucky for a week. The fact that you're on such a small dose of sub means that you're going to be OK when you end up tapering off. You at least have that going for you if you decide it's best for you to stay on.

Staying on suboxone is a much better alternative than relapsing on vicodin. You have to give a realistic look at your life to figure out whether you can live life without relying on an opiate.

Tell us what you decide and keep in touch!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2013 4:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have a really good support system. I am a Veteran and the VA offers lots of recovery groups during the week. I try to go to a AA meeting at least once a day. Being back on the sub is a good idea, when I got off last time it didnt take long for me to be back on the vicodin. I am on a small dose of sub so im not to worried about that. The good thing about sub is when your on it your not thinking about where your next pain pill is coming from. I only have about 5 vicodin left and then I am out and none of my doctors will give me any because of my addiction problem. I think the best thing for me is to stay on the sub and wait until I am strong enough to quit without jumping back to my drug of choice. Thanks for everyones help. Thanks Amy for helping me continue to do the right thing. What you said makes good sense.

Rich
I will continue to post my progress