It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 4:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 8:33 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

My husband finally made the move to get into treatment! Great news, right?! Well, he's now stuck with a script of 56 Subutex 8mg, that no one will fill. We are located in central PA, and he's seeing a Dr. in Pittsburgh, PA. It was around a 3hr drive each way for us, and all the extra hours from stopping at what seemed like EVERY SINGLE PHARM on the way home. Still no luck here closer to home either. All pharms saying they don't carry it, or NO new patients??? I can't understand it. Pharmacists will readily deal you the disease, but not the cure... ??? (So to speak...) We were treated extremely rudely as well... If anyone can steer us in the right direction in Central PA, that carries either the Roxanne or Mylan brand generics, it'd be amazing. This has been beyond frustrating, and he's thinking of giving up n going back to the street...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 22, 2016 11:24 pm 

Hey Nikki , weclome to the forum.

Ok, so the issue is finding a place to fill subutex. Many many pharmacies just do not carry it. You will either need to order it, or switch to a Buprenorphine /naloxone product.
I won't go into all the other issue s here right now, but tomorrow id first call your dr in Pittsburgh and ask for a pharmacy there or make the switch.
I d hate to see your husband give up at this point. Your almost there. Yes..this hoop jumping and being treated disrespectfully sucks, but you and and your husband are worth it and deserve a chance.

Im in northern W.VA and people here do get "tex" filled here. And my suggestions may cost you more money. Im sorry i can't be of more assistance. Stories like this frustrate the hell out of too..

Razor.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:47 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you so much, Razor! Yes, that does seem to be the general consensus. If you haven't already been on the Subutex and filling them somewhere, it probably isn't going to happen... I myself had a hell of a time and I was pregnant when I got into treatment. That fact still did not help me much but I believe was the reason I did finally find my pharmacy. My pharmacist will not fill Subutex for men unless they have proper allergic reaction documents from an ER or Dr that witnessed the reaction. I do think he made the choice to handle it that way, but can understand in a way. He said they're under so much scrutiny now. What I do not understand is why the dr is even still prescribing?? I've seen other threads of ppl in this area, or coming to this same area to the Dr, having the same issues since back in 2014... I feel like we're involved in a racket almost... I guess he had no idea if we already had a pharm lined up though? Wow! Sorry for rambling. Just goes to show you some reasons ppl relapse or never even take this step. How discouraging...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:16 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Wow. In Wisconsin, people without insurance regularly use plain buprenorphine (Subutex doesn't exist anymore, as it was taken off the market about 5 years ago-- but people use that term to refer to generic, plain buprenorphine). The cost for 60, 8 mg tabs of buprenorphine is about $165, far less than the cost of buprenorphine/naloxone combinations.

Ignorance has won out in the Appalachian area. Doctors and pharmacists there say ridiculous things like 'buprenorphine is just like heroin', showing an utter lack of knowledge about the actions of partial agonists compared to agonists. We can't expect all docs to know neurochemistry, but it is irresponsible to work with a medication and have no understanding of how the medication works.

I've mentioned this many times, but the simple fact says so much about the 'risks' of buprenorphine diversion. About 30,000 people die from overdose in the US each year. About 40 people die, each year, with buprenorphine in the bloodstream. If a person takes buprenorphine, Rx or not, that person is much less likely to die from overdose. And if a person takes buprenorphine, Rx or not, IV or not, that person will not get 'high' from heroin for several days.

Yes-- some people inject buprenorphine, and reverse their withdrawal symptoms very quickly. Maybe for a few pathetic days or weeks those people think they are getting 'high'. After a few days, those people will have a blood level of buprenorphine, and tolerance matching that blood level-- and buprenorphine will no longer work. They now are 'on' buprenorphine.

An article in 'The Fix', by a pharmacists, suggested that people diverting buprenorphine are suffering because they are not getting the counseling necessary for recovery. Is that true? Who knows?! There is no science supporting the 'need' for counseling. For some reason, every doc on the planet repeats that 'of course buprenorphine doesn't work without counseling!!' And Obama won't let docs increase to 275 patients without 'counseling'. What type of counseling? Apparently it doesn't matter. Nobody is judging the counseling. Just meet with patients and say you are doing 'counseling', and you're all set. Buy a horse and have patients sit on it for 10 minutes, and call it 'counseling'. You'll have ASAM cheering for you!

I'm off topic, I know. My thought as I read your post was 'why would a doctor prescribe a medication that is not available'? Is the doctor any help? Why did your husband get buprenorphine anyway? Most insurers, and most medicaids, don't cover buprenorphine these days. Is he uninsured? Maybe he needs to get on one of the Obamacare plans (the few that remain, that is) and find out which form of buprenorphine is covered-- that's what I would tell my patients anyway.

Don't give up-- see if the doc can help. Even an 'expensive' form of buprenorphine is cheaper than using-- not even counting the non-financial issues.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:09 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thankyou so much for your reply, Dr. J! It feels good to hear things that are encouraging from someone in your position! My husband is uninsured, yes. I also get the feeling that this may be the only thing this Dr. prescribes from hearing and talking with some others in the waiting room. I think we'd only been sitting there 5min when another couple told us that unless you were to request suboxone, you'd most likely get subutex. Then they also said we'd have trouble filling them and said they'd driven around the Pittsburgh area for 3days the previous month, trying to fill their own... The Dr. did ask to meet my son and I, and when he asked if I had questions, I asked if he could recommend a pharmacy. He said not to try n fill them there, to bring them to our hometown and we'd have better luck. Well we tried both and beyond with no luck. I know there are plenty we had to have missed so the search will continue. If something doesn't give I'm going to call there and explain the situation and ask for suggestions, or some type of referal(if that's a thing?) Oh and yes, when I said Subutex, that is what I meant, the bupe generics. Quite a few places I called and asked if they could fill them, and I referred to them as Subutex. Maybe that's why I'm being told they don't carry it, because it's no longer made by the brand name. I'm just now realizing this and hopefully, I'm on to something! I'll let everyone know how it goes! Thanks again doc!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:21 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I fill my bupe script at Walmart. Surely you have got a Walmart nearby. I have found that they carry my favorite brand (roxxane labs) for a fair price. I am uninsured but get 75 for around $150 a month. If your local Walmart does not carry buprenorphine they will order it for you. Good luck.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:01 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

All the WalMarts within a 50 mile radius are telling us that as of the first of this year the cannot accept any new patients... I'm not sure what it is but they me be the absolute rudest. Atleast around here. I guess we could try WalMarts that aren't so close to home tho, so thank you!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:20 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Wow I am sorry that is absolutely bizarre. I have never heard of such a thing from a store as large as Walmart! One thing you could do is fill the prescription through the Walmart pharmacy mail system. This is where the actually ship you your medication. I believe you can fill out the necessary information on their website, or you could try calling back one of the walmarts in your area and ask them for help getting the medication shipped to you from another Walmart location/pharmacy warehouse.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 1:02 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have a half dozen patients on buprenorphine, 8 or 2 mg tabs. No trouble getting it filled. Often lots of problems from insurance regarding the prior authorization. Most pharmacies don't carry it but order it and have it in the next day. If the local Walmart is giving you grief call corporate, it is a local problem and not national. Jana Burson had a blog post about this recently over at https://janaburson.wordpress.com/2016/0 ... criptions/

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 4:12 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you both, Levi and Docm!
We finally found a place today. A small mom and pop pharmacy not too far from home! I can't believe it! They were even nice enough to give him a 7day supply, being that we wasted so much $$ on gas lately! It was $160 for 14, and they're the Actavis generic brand. He cannot afford to be choosy at this point in time but we still plan to look for somewhere cheaper, or to ask them if they're able to order the Roxane brand, as they're not so expensive! Thanks again!

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:08 pm 

Talk about a success story! Nikki6, you come here looking for answers and the world flips in your favor. Two different physicians giving you their opinion plus some great advice about Walmart and mail order. It is great to hear you got the problem solved by a nice older couple running a small RX.

Welcome to the best Buprenorphine forum on the planet!

rule

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 8:38 pm 

When looking for solutions, come here first! :D We Are the Best on the Planet! !!

So glad for you all Nik. Congrats ....

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:03 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks! Rule and Razor!
I had been just scrolling as a guest for days before I registered! I feel like I've learned so much already! I myself have been on the generic Subutex since January. Somehow my attitude and out look are completely changing for the better, and these forums are getting my recovery geared towards an even healthier place! Couldn't be happier I found you all!