It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:13 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi, guys. I know some of you, ahem!....l i v i n and others, have cut your Sub films into amazingly small pieces. I need some very specific instructions as to how you do this.

I'm still folding my 2-mg Subs and then either ripping or cutting them. This worked well up until recently, when the pieces got too little. I am trying to follow the small percentage drops as best I can, so I want to drop 1/16 of a mg, from .625 to .5625. That means I have to fold and rip/cut the film five times. I just don't feel like I'm getting accurate pieces, which maybe doesn't matter if I divide an accurate 1/4-mg into four pieces and take that over four days. Still, it leads to fluctuations in symptoms and I want to get this more accurate. I've already ruined a few films trying to do this, which pisses me off. I'm paying out of pocket for these. Touching the film to fold and cut it five times means lots of the Sub ends up on my hands as well, and the film seems to get thin and flimsy by the time I'm done. I do wash and dry my hands very well beforehand. I need another way!! I've got a ways to go and lots of precision cutting ahead of me......I don't want to switch back to tabs if I can avoid it. I do have tabs, but they are old and they are the inaccurate pieces I didn't take, so I wouldn't be able to make any reliable solution out of them, at least I cannot think of how I could.

I'm interested in how you guys have done this, what tools you use, etc. Gloves? Cutting board and blade? How do you keep the film still while you cut? I already have to use tweezers to dose......

Thanks,

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2011 1:25 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ladder, when I tapered to small doses before what I did is take a little card and marked out the increments I needed. Then I layed the film on top of the marking on the card and I took tweezers and etched a little line where I needed to cut the film. I used tweezers and small scissors to handle the film. I wish to heaven they would have made the films an inch long which would have made calculations easier. hope this helps. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and you are always so encouraging to everyone but please be sure to give that encouragment to yourself too. someone as positive as you are can accomplish what you want!
Monkey

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 11:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

monkeydog wrote:
Ladder, when I tapered to small doses before what I did is take a little card and marked out the increments I needed. Then I layed the film on top of the marking on the card and I took tweezers and etched a little line where I needed to cut the film. I used tweezers and small scissors to handle the film. I wish to heaven they would have made the films an inch long which would have made calculations easier. hope this helps. I have really enjoyed reading your posts and you are always so encouraging to everyone but please be sure to give that encouragment to yourself too. someone as positive as you are can accomplish what you want!
Monkey

Thanks, Monkey, and I'll try that. Actually, once I read that, I realized how simple it was and now I feel kinda stupid. I also wish they had made these films some even length. That's why I fold them in half over and over....I want to get an even amount. I'll try the card, though, because touching the film is not a good idea when you have to make small doses.

I see no reason now why I cannot make it if I keep going in that direction. I have to say that it's hard to not be surprised that such small pieces can make any difference and that it's challenging to get off this one last milligram. It's only ONE milligram!!! I'm going to try to push to .5 in the next week, so I can just cut that film in quarters and call it a day. K, I'm going to make that card.

Thanks again,
laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Measuring
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:14 pm 

LT, do you have a small centimeter ruler? I have one that's about 6" long made of metal. I measured the strip and could then figure out exact places to put a score mark. Haven't done it yet but did practice it for future use. The strip measure 7/8" of an inch which converts to 22.225 CM. Trying to divide 7/8"s is hard to that's why I mentioned the metric one.

Or just use a tape measure and do the best you can!

Also, make sure you wear some disposable gloves or something to keep your hands dry so no moisture gets on the film strip. Totally ruins it as you have found out.

Please post how well this works out for the rest of us. I'm right behind you.

R62

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 12:15 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

IMHO you can't cut films accurately to the second decimal place (we don't know if they're coated evenly with bupe in the first place). I think the best you can do is cut successively in halves, from 2 to 1, 0.5, 0.25, 0.125? then 0, unless you want to go into a liquid taper. Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2011 2:17 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ladder I sliced mine with a razor ( box cutter small one) and made little notches on top with a ruler then sliced them with the razor and used tweezers to put in my mouth ( I think you suggested the tweezers ) you go girl!!! You will get there!!!

hugs

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:46 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I used two razors, one to cut and one to hold the sub strip. I used a ruler to cut precisely. Measure the sub(if I remember correctly its about 19mm) and figure out how many pieces to divide it into based on millimeters. Slice it width wise to make it easier to cut accurately. good luck ladder, all the best.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2011 8:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

laddertipper,

I was on the film for about 6 months.

the best thing to do is fold and cut...do not try to rip because the pieces will not be even...if you are tapering very very very small....hold it gently with tweezers...and cut with a razor blade.

small doses are also very hard to get under your tounge without it sticking to you finger etc etc...so I also used the tweezers(of course a fresh clean pair) and gently droped it under my tounge until i physicaly saw it dissolve.

I saw you were having trouble getting down from .5 in the morning and night...I had the same problem. The best thing to do...is maybe do .5 in the morning then try to go down on your nightly dose by .125...its a really small dose...it feels almost the same....do that for 4 days then go down on your morning dose by the same. you would have droped a full .25 in a week and a day....leaving you with just .75 left! then continue until you get to a low enough level to quit.

best meds so far to ease withdrawl
gabapentin, promethzine, and clondine...but im no dr.

goodluck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 3:41 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

one additional question about cutting film. Do you cut the strip into all the sections right away, and then store it in the foil? Or.. do you cut it each time you are about to dose? Just wondering if you handle it with gloves and then not let the pieces overlap, can you pre-cut all the sections?
Anita

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2011 10:03 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

sm0zy and Anita, I've finally got a decent system worked out. I thoroughly wash and dry my hands, including under my nails!! I use two tweezers to grab the film and fold it. I don't touch it while folding it. This takes some practice and skill with the tweezers, but you get the hang of it. When I've folded it in half, I gently crease it, then open it up and cut it with small scissors or a razor. I repeat this until I get 1/8 mg pieces. For now, that's as small as I'm going! When I cut a film, I typically cut it into 2 1-mg pieces, then one of those into 2 .5-mg pieces, then cut up one of those .5's into .125 pieces and one into .25 pieces. I keep all the smaller pieces in a piece of paper I folded to make it easier to get at them. I keep a little mirror by my paper w/d pieces and another pair of tweezers, which I use to put the little piece under my tongue. I know you're supposed to not save pieces and take them later because they degrade, but I don't care. After all, I'm tapering off, plus I notice no difference in the strength.

I've been able to pretty significantly reduce my dose, so now I'm alternating between .25 and .375. It's not so bad either. Getting closer!!

laddertipper