It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:37 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 12:21 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Basically I want to know how long I need to quit subs for completely to pass a drug test. I would like to take the test sometime next week. Here's the relevant info:

Been taking subs for 3 years, 4mg a day for the first 2 years, 6mg a day for the past year. I'm 6'2" 250lbs, kind of fat with slow metabolism.

I failed my test today after weaning down my dose for the last few days. On sunday, I only took 3mg, monday I took 2mg, yesterday I took 1mg, and today I failed the test.

I was worried I would because I noticed that the withdrawal was coming on so much more gradually than ever before. I was right obviously.

When I used to get tested by my doctor, I had been on subs for about a year, and was taking 4mg a day. I would take the normal 4mg on saturday, nothing on sunday except maybe 1mg. I would even get away with taking 1 mg or .5 mg the night before the test on monday so I figured I would be okay but obviously I have it built up in my system way too much.

I will be able to retest, however it's gonna be a struggle that I don't want to be in vain. I honestly am not sure I can go cold turkey, but I can probably survive on 1mg a day, and do none the day before the test.

I would like to take the test early next week, (today's wednesday).

I've heard so much conflicting stories on how long it takes to pass the test, so I'm hoping someone has a similar experience to me and has passed a test after x amount of time just so I can figure out if there's hope or if I should just find a job that doesn't drug test for suboxone.

Also, the drug test itself said nothing about suboxone on it, the only thing it said was the usual stuff, and OPI 2000. It didn't even say oxy on it. I assume bup and oxi fall under OPI 2000 unless their paper with the test description was out of date because I failed specifically for buprenorphine and nothing else.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:07 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Matt,

What exactly is this drug test for? You mentioned that it was for a doctors office, so I'm assuming you aren't prescribed suboxone?

Here's the deal. Suboxone's half-life is 36 hours. Meaning if you take 8mg today, in 36 hours you will still have 4mg in your system. That's not even taking into account the amounts that were already stacked on your receptors from previous doses. Using it daily it could take a week or longer to leave your system completely. You can do the math on it...I don't have the patience to deal with it right now. And, you have to remember that each person will metabolize differently, so there is a variable with that.

I would guess that the reason you were able to pass your drug tests previously is because they weren't testing for it. Very few places test for buprenorphine. It won't show up as an opiate, the test has to specifically test for the bupe. They are ALOT more expensive than a regular drug screen, and that combined with the fact that very few doctors/testing centers were aware of the drug meant that hardly anyone tested for it at all until recently.

I'm afraid that if you have to pass this test you are going to have to suffer some pretty serious WD. Why aren't you in treatment with a doctor?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:44 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

<<"They are ALOT more expensive than a regular drug screen">>

That's actually a myth. You can find tests for bupe for under a dollar pretty easily. Not that it matters much because everything else you said was spot on. I just found it strange how cheap they actually are because I had always heard they were expensive too

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 3:50 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Okay, I read again and see now that it was for a job. As nogroovin said...most employers DO NOT test for buprenorphine, but obviously this one DOES because OP said his results were a fail because of bupe.

Even if you quit today, I think early next week would still be risky for you Matt.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:41 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Hey Matt,

What exactly is this drug test for? You mentioned that it was for a doctors office, so I'm assuming you aren't prescribed suboxone?

Here's the deal. Suboxone's half-life is 36 hours. Meaning if you take 8mg today, in 36 hours you will still have 4mg in your system. That's not even taking into account the amounts that were already stacked on your receptors from previous doses. Using it daily it could take a week or longer to leave your system completely. You can do the math on it...I don't have the patience to deal with it right now. And, you have to remember that each person will metabolize differently, so there is a variable with that.

I would guess that the reason you were able to pass your drug tests previously is because they weren't testing for it. Very few places test for buprenorphine. It won't show up as an opiate, the test has to specifically test for the bupe. They are ALOT more expensive than a regular drug screen, and that combined with the fact that very few doctors/testing centers were aware of the drug meant that hardly anyone tested for it at all until recently.

I'm afraid that if you have to pass this test you are going to have to suffer some pretty serious WD. Why aren't you in treatment with a doctor?

Sorry, I thought I wrote that it was for an employment agency. And no I'm not prescribed, that's why I need to pass it.

Also, my doctor was definitely testing for suboxone. I know this because the only test I failed was for suboxone. He started testing me every week after that and I passed everyone, including the times I couldn't resist doing some the night before and I still passed them.

The thing I'm unsure of, is how would you go about doing the math for something like this that has lasted for 3 years? I know now it's way more built up than I expected. I'm concerned that I will quit for a week and end up failing anyways.

I'm gonna try anyways, but if my withdrawal isn't where I expect it to be next week, Im just gonna have to get another job until I can quit subs entirely. It sucks also because I actually need them for back pain as well as withdrawal, but I need to quit.

I'd get a prescription but it would be near impossible. The only clinic in my area is completely full, won't take more patients.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 5:52 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

qhorsegal2 wrote:
Okay, I read again and see now that it was for a job. As nogroovin said...most employers DO NOT test for buprenorphine, but obviously this one DOES because OP said his results were a fail because of bupe.

Even if you quit today, I think early next week would still be risky for you Matt.

Yea that's what I thought too. I'm just gonna quit, and see how I'm feeling next week. I could tell them I'm on vacation next week. I actually am but I'm not going anywhere.

It may be too late anyways because I'm trying to get a job by the end of next week at latest so I may need to move on regardless.

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2013 7:33 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I quit Suboxone I tested my urine so I'd know when the Bupe cleared my system and I was getting negatives for Bupe after 3 to 4 days.

You can buy the test strips online for Bupe, they're $1 or $2 each. Order them today, have them shipped ASAP and start testing yourself at home.

PostPosted: Tue Oct 15, 2013 11:56 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Yea, I just did a little looking around for bupe urine test kits and I found them on eBay, of course, everything is on there lol.

You can get a lot of 12 for 10bucks. Or a lot of 50 for 31 dollars. So they are very reasonable being anywhere from around 60cents to 85cents. Thats, crazy I didnt know how cheap you could get them for. I am definitely going to keep a journal of when I quit to keep track of my dosages and how my tests go, and when I'm finally clean. Everyone is different but I want to try it and see how long it takes my system to clear. Sorry to get off topic.

Good luck to you with your new job. Maybe you can quit in time and pass the drug screening test. It's just dependant on so many factors. Maybe you will be the one who's system just happens to clear out pretty quick this time =)

I hope everything works out for you, which ever way it goes. Good luck!! -Mike

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 12:48 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mike, that's exactly why I bought the test strips that I did. I was hoping to test my urine as I tapered down, but I screwed up my taper royally and ended up jumping. Like I said above, I was 3 or 4 days post jump (after being on Suboxone for years) and got negatives for the presence of Bupe.

PostPosted: Wed Oct 16, 2013 8:02 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I was on methadone for 11 years, went to suboxone for a year, and then got off it because I got kicked out for alcohol and just got accepted into one after going there three times and trying to pass a drug test because he wouldn't do it unless benzos were out of my system.

Well, I was taking pills of course and haven't taken suboxone for over a month, but I took 1/4th of a piece of a strip of suboxone on a Friday and on Monday(exactly three days later and a few hours), I failed it. I only took it once in a month and failed it three days later for 2 milligrams. It was a dip stick test and then they sent it off. I figured it would be in my system for a little over a day. If you have to pass it, I would def. give it five days to be on the safe side if you can. I know everyone's body is different though. Good luck!