It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 4:28 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello,
I am new to this forum, but I didn't know where else to go..
I recently moved to Phoenix from Las Vegas, and I need a doctor ASAP. I had a psychiatrist in Las Vegas who was cash only, and I saw him monthly, and he say with me for 30-40 min and talked with me about everything that was going on in my life, causing my addiction, and things that might cause me to think about relapsing, and then afterwards called in my prescription for antidepressants and suboxone. I didn't have drug tests and wasn't required to do NA or anything like that, and I need to find a doctor that does the same thing my LV doctor did. I have a hectic life, with work and just moving here I have tons of stuff to do, so I don't have extra money to be charged a bunch of money, or time to jump through hoops to get my prescription..

I've been calling around for a week and all the doctors I've called have told me they do drug tests and prescreenings and all this stuff, and I'm out of meds so I need a doctor who will either be cash only, or take unitedhealthcare insurance, and will give me the prescription the first visit...
Please help..anyone?? :(

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 5:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Brinny,

It sounds like you might have to re-adjust your requirements a little bit if you want to find a doctor.

Finding a doctor that will prescribe suboxone without any type of drug testing is VERY rare. Why is that an issue for you? It only takes a few minutes, and I'm almost positive it's legally required.

As for the cash thing, that shouldn't be too hard to find. I think it's harder to find one that doesn't require cash payments to be honest. And, since you have been stable on suboxone for awhile, I wouldn't think you would have any problems receiving your prescription the same day. That is mostly for the patients that have to go through the whole induction process.

I would suggest that if you can find one that has an opening you take it. The main problem I see with your situation is that most doctors have waiting lists to get people into the program. If you can find one that has a spot open, you should probably jump on it.

I understand that you are looking for something like you had before. But, I don't think it's going to be easy to find, if possible at all. Remember that you need to do whatever you have to in order to stay on your medication. Think back to all the things you were willing to do in order to get your DOC back in the day. We have to be willing to work for this just as hard. If not, you may wind up putting yourself in a really sticky situation.

Good luck!

PostPosted: Sun Feb 02, 2014 6:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Thanks for your reply, the drug testing isn't legally required. I've had three doctors, and I've never been drug tested. But when I first went to my dr I had to be detoxing for 24 hours, and he sent me home with my prescription, and I took it as prescribed.

The only reason why I'm asking for a doctor who doesn't do it, is because I'm looking for more of the psychiatrist type, not physician. I want someone who spends the time to listen and maybe give some advice, help me with the depression as well as the addiction, and help me get off the antidepressant and switch me to a mood stabilizer. The doctors who drug test usually have you to go to a lab and pay for it separately, and My car isn't running at the moment... I am just looking to see my doctor and get my prescriptions same day, because I am about to be out of medicine and being off of prozac is a huge problem for me..

I guess I am willing to do whatever I have to.. But I also wanted to see if anyone knew of a psychologist/psychiatrist type suboxone doctor, instead of a physician. I honestly just need to find a doctor ASAP. So if anyone knows of one who is close to Peoria, and doesn't have a two week waiting list, that would be great...

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2014 6:32 pm 

I just replied to your other thread!

My suggestion is looking at http://www.treatmentmatch.org/index.cfm

Some people here have had good success with the site.

Amy