It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 9:26 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:37 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Today I went to the dentist......and without going into all the details I was able to have 4 dental implants done today.....no anethesia...the Dr had the time and just did it. I listed that I took sub but he never asked about it...just sign here and here..and off we go. After 2 1/2 hours of surgery and my whole head numb it was time for checkout....I paid got my next follow up and 2 prescriptions.....1 for Amoxicillian-antibiotic and 20 Loracet 10mg. I wanted to say something but I didn't. Why didn't I say something....

I am now home several hours later. I did not fill either prescription. But I am dying.......everything has worn off and the pain is unbearable. What to do. I know I can take this script and get it filled but I am worried.

I have an appt. with my sub doc on Tues...only my second one and he video tapes them...the whold thing is wierd. I believe if I fill the scirpt he will know....it's also possible he will drug test me. I obviouisly knowt that the pills probably won't help but for the first time in 1 1/2 years I am really in some serious pain and need some relief....It is now 8:30 pm....I know I won't try and fill the script tonight.So..........

Do I call my sub doc(who is my new doc..and not so friendly) and tell him I am in pain and have a script for Loracet......or do I not jeopardize my relationship with him and live through the pain untilI see him on Tues. I take my sub as prescribed so I don't have extra. Why did I agree to this today without thinking it through..........$3,000 later.....I look great......ha but feel absolutely terrible. I am open to suggestions and criticism...as I know better being a member for awhile. I just feel if I call my sub doc......it will not be good cause he doesn't know me and honestly I think he could care less if I am in pain.

Jim

PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Reraise,

I'm sorry you are in so much pain.

Hmmm.. This is a tough one, but I'd probably call the sub doc just to be on the up-and-up. Perhaps he may even give you something stronger.

Worse comes to worse, visit the ER, if you are insured. I know how much dental things hurt my friend!

Jim

ReRaise wrote:
Today I went to the dentist......and without going into all the details I was able to have 4 dental implants done today.....no anethesia...the Dr had the time and just did it. I listed that I took sub but he never asked about it...just sign here and here..and off we go. After 2 1/2 hours of surgery and my whole head numb it was time for checkout....I paid got my next follow up and 2 prescriptions.....1 for Amoxicillian-antibiotic and 20 Loracet 10mg. I wanted to say something but I didn't. Why didn't I say something....

I am now home several hours later. I did not fill either prescription. But I am dying.......everything has worn off and the pain is unbearable. What to do. I know I can take this script and get it filled but I am worried.

I have an appt. with my sub doc on Tues...only my second one and he video tapes them...the whold thing is wierd. I believe if I fill the scirpt he will know....it's also possible he will drug test me. I obviouisly knowt that the pills probably won't help but for the first time in 1 1/2 years I am really in some serious pain and need some relief....It is now 8:30 pm....I know I won't try and fill the script tonight.So..........

Do I call my sub doc(who is my new doc..and not so friendly) and tell him I am in pain and have a script for Loracet......or do I not jeopardize my relationship with him and live through the pain untilI see him on Tues. I take my sub as prescribed so I don't have extra. Why did I agree to this today without thinking it through..........$3,000 later.....I look great......ha but feel absolutely terrible. I am open to suggestions and criticism...as I know better being a member for awhile. I just feel if I call my sub doc......it will not be good cause he doesn't know me and honestly I think he could care less if I am in pain.

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:51 pm 
I was recently in a similar situation w/ a car accident, although I had been with my Sub doc for 8 mos. at the time. IMHO it's a legitimate prescription for legitimate pain. If you need it, stop taking your Sub, take the lorcet (double the dose) and tell your Sub doc. Also, take lots of ibuprofen with it. Hope you feel better.
Lilly

P.S. the Lorcet won't get you high, so don't worry about that.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 5:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi ReRaise -

I'm sorry you're in so much pain. I think you should fill that script and like Lilly said, take double doses. I'd then call the sub doc and leave a message telling him about your situation. This way at least he will know up front before you see him on Tuesday. The more honest you are with him ahead of time I'd say the less problems you'll have with him.

I still can't believe he video tapes your appointments! And without a release .... That whole thing is just beyond weird. But we know it's just temporary, right?

Again, sorry for your pain...hang in there!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Update
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok....so I just survived the longest night of my life. I did not take my sub dose this morning and called my sub doc......At 11:00 am he called me back and I told him the situation. Luckily he said I know how you feel I had dental implants too....so you have two choices....You can take 4 suboxones a day for the next couple of days or fill your script. I reminded him I have an appt with him on Tuesday and I never take more than he prescribes so I only have 5 left. He said your insurance won't cover your co-pay twice in a month........so go fill your script...take it for one day........then wait till your in w/d and restart your suboxone and I will see you on Tuesday.

I just got back from the pharmacy...no issues...I just took two Loracet 10mg and I can't tell you how much I now hate the taste of this medicine......I can only hope for releif but I feel better about being honest with my doc and he knows......so no worries till my appt on Tuesday. Waiting for meds to kick in. Thanks for the replies......by the way my doc was off today and called me from his home......starting to think he does care..

Jim

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 2:20 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm so glad you called him and that he was compassionate enough to work with you. I say take what you need to feel better. When I had my surgery in April, I took about three times the normal dose and it DID help my pain. Didn't get me high in the least bit, but I did experience pain relief, much to my surprise. I hope you get some relief too, Jim, I really do.

Oh and if you're only taking it for a couple of days you don't need to wait until you're in withdrawals to go back on the sub...but you probably already know that.

If you're able, please keep us posted on how you're doing. Take care!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jul 16, 2010 7:44 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think you did the right thing in calling your Sub doc. I'm glad that he responded as any decent doc should. The only thing is, I'm betting you are not getting much relief from your pain. I really hope that you are - but from what most people have experienced, the Sub is likely blocking all or most of the hydrocodone. So, what can you do? Well here is what I would consider if it were me. This "advice" comes from speaking with my Sub doc about my own dental issues.

1. My doc too said that taking 4-8mg of Suboxone every 6 hours for a max of 32 mg/day will/may provide at least some level of pain relief. The fact that you don't have enough Sub to do this may make it a moot point.

2. 800 mg of ibuprofen may work better than you might ever guess. I would at least give it a try. It certainly can't hurt (unless you have other issues with this medication - in which case obviously you will not want to use it) If you tolerate Ibu just fine, it may really help you out with dental pain.

3. If you have to go in to an urgent care or even an ER, IV or IM Toradol may also work well. There are some things that Toradol does not work very well for but when it comes to several specific issues - namely kidney stones, migraines and yes, dental pain, IV Toradol may work very well. Oral Toradol does not work nearly as well - it really almost has to be IV or IM. (IM = a shot into your muscle)

4. My doc swears that Fentanyl will over-ride Suboxone. I have never had to put this to the test so I can't confirm it. If anyone reading this has experience with this, please let me know if it’s true or not. He swears by it, however. In this case, I am not talking about Fentanyl patches. You would need to get IV Fentanyl or the IR Fentanyl "sticks" or "lollipops". The downside here is IV Fentanyl only lasts about 60 minutes at most before wearing off. It's not like you can or want to camp out in the ER for a day. The IR sticks would be the ticket – if by any miracle you can get a script for them.

Does it not totally suck that those of us on Suboxone are all but screwed when it comes to acute pain? It's sad but true. Hopefully one of these things will help you. I strongly vote for #2. Of course, being a weekend, and a past opiate abuser, going to the ED is not likely to endear you to the staff there. Then again, you have a very obvious reason for the pain that they can easily verify - and that really should help.

Please let us know how it's going.

Post subject: Thats confusing
PostPosted: Sat Oct 23, 2010 11:07 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't know why everyone keeps talking about going to ER. I'm pretty sure once u get prescribed Suboxone, ur black listed. Cause I went for dental pain and they told ME I'm on it, and said they were NOT allowed to prescribe me anything narcotic. So I basically had to walk out shit out of luck and in severe pain from an abscessed tooth. I'm tempted to take more Sub at . this point. oh wait...this post is from july..crap. -_-