It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 4:36 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 3:37 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi im new here and i have a question i really hope someone can answer. Since i was young I had hoped to join some type of special defense for our country. At first it was of course departments of govt. like CIA FBI DHS and throughout college i have kept a GPA that i could still be employed. Now i am even considering different branches of the military. About a year or so ago i began to use pain killers, along with the friends i grew up with. However while they still do and i went to see a doctor, i got prescribed suboxone for the past 6+ months. I would like to know how this will effect my goals of future employment. Will a year of mistakes haunt me for the rest of my life? Which of these am i still able to join, and is it possible to make it so i could join them in the future?
Side note-I have always been athletic and intelligent. Good grades and played sports my whole life. I even went to college to wrestle.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 8:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the site. I will tell you that most jobs that drug test suboxone will not show up.............however the military and federal government jobs that drug test will detect the sub. I know this is probably not what you wanted to hear so depending on the route you are going you would need to taper off. Besides the military would not prescribe you suboxone...a regular doc would but if you were overseas it would be very tough to obtain it. I wish you luck on your journey.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

I doubt that taking buprenorphine would disqualify you from most government jobs, including in the FBI or CIA-- at least at the level of employment that a person would be at for the first 5-10 years. In my state, they do not even test for buprenorphine for the Dept of Transportation drug screens-- which is appropriate in my opinion, as people taking the medication develop virtually complete tolerance to the opiate effects. I have had patients who joined the service, and they all tapered off the medication before deployment for obvious reasons... but I have patients in the Reserves who stay on buprenorphine even during their weekends in training and for the longer annual training sessions.

I would not be concerned about it at this point; there are many obstacles to getting an FBI or CIA job, and if you get past them and need to taper off buprenorphine, take a week off and be done with it. Anyone who would even consider dying for the country can tolerate the withdrawal from a partial agonist.

I had friends in college who applied for the FBI; we were all shocked at the amount of digging that goes on, before they give security clearances. Anticipate government agents interviewing your family, your family's friends, your neighbors, your college professors, and even a frat brother or two!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2010 9:13 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

well honestly i hope that drug tests are it. i plan tapering to nothing soon enough. my question was more about their policy about employing post suboxone users. i never went to rehab but will they be able to see my doctor records if they are paid in cash and out of state? and does anyone know if this will make a differnce?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2010 6:46 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi wish and welcome,

I've never heard of an employer checking medical records. That said, I have no idea what the background check for an FBI/CIA security clearance consists of. So I doubt it matters if you've paid cash or used insurance. Such medical records are protected by federal privacy guidelines (HIPAA).

Take it one step at a time. What have you got to lose by applying? Hope this helps just a little. And again, welcome.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.