It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:48 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need an answer
PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2013 5:07 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I took a line of dope the last time on Thursday same day I was prescribed my subs. I started taking the subs 24 hrs after last use, and was had WDs to the point of not holding down any food for 3 days. I am on 2-8mg strips a day and now 6 days later finally feel good and optimistic. I don't want to be hooked on subs for the next few years as I see in many on this site. So my question is how can I taper and be done with the subs and everything for good?

Post subject: Re: Need an answer
PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 2:15 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello MPLS and welcome!

A common fear is "switching from one drug to another", and being on something for the rest of our lives, when we are so fed up with drugs to begin with!!! You JUST started feeling better hun, try to keep that feeling!

If you go to the subject "Stopping Suboxone", there are a few tapering threads on there, of people who are jotting down their tapering process & how it's going. It's actually very informative.

16mg a day is basically the ceiling dosage. I can't say how quickly to taper down, because I never took more than 1mg at a time the entire time I've taken Subs, but I know someone will have some advice! Suboxone is really a great "drug" for healing our minds, and getting off of opiates for good, and getting rid of those awful cravings. However, be aware that when you come off of Subs, it's common for opiate cravings to come back. I wouldn't come off until you are 100% sure you are ready. Nobody can know that but you.

Good luck! :mrgreen:

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2013 12:11 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Congrats on making this big step! You should be proud of yourself for making it 6 days clean and seeking out help. My best advice would be to take it one step at a time. I wouldn't recommend getting off of suboxone until you are confident that you can manage to stay clean without it. If you get off too soon the alternative to being on suboxone is far worse.

No one says you have to stay on it your entire life but I think it is in your best interest to stay on it until you are 100% sure you can manage without suboxone. That period of time you being on suboxone has such a broad range.

I'm sure your doctor will inform you other resources available that helps you address your addiction. Counseling is usually the minimum level of help recommended by the suboxone doctors, but everyone is unique. Good luck!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 12:11 am 
Site Admin
Site Admin

Please see my response to the post above this one....
the issue is not being 'addicted to Subs'-- we are addicted to OPIOIDS. In lower than ceiling doses, buprenorphine acts as an agonist, and a person can get as addicted to buprenorphine as they can to oxycodone, codeine, or Xanax. But the point of buprenorphine is to extinguish the addictive cycle of behavior for a sufficient length of time, and put together enough of a 'good life', to make a run at sobriety. For MOST PEOPLE, that 'sobriety' is elusive, and the chase after it costs some people their lives (and costs others their relationships, jobs, careers, and freedom).

Someone who does a 'line' and then worries about 'getting addicted to subs' is a bit misguided, and I encourage you to read with an open mind. Our opioid receptors don't care what opioid is doing the binding... but buprenorphine, at high-enough doses, puts the cycle of misery/reward into remission, and ideally extinguishes it enough that the person can move off opioids.

OPIOID dependence. Not Suboxone dependence. the idea is like thinking that a heroin addict is worried about getting addicted to codeine, or morphine.

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 10:03 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all for your responses, I have read a ton of posts on This site now and feel like I have a good understanding of this. I feel like its a bit rude of you 'doc' to tell me how misguided I am with my thinking of becoming addicted To another drug. If I'm not mistaken I have traded going to my dealer to going to a licensed dealer who charges me $75 a week to just write me a prescription, and $140 a week for this drug. It may not get me high but from what I have read will cause even lengthier withdrawals. So I'm sorry for my 'misguided' thoughts of wanting to be entirely done with 'drugs', but I cannot afford to be 'addicted' to this treatment regimen for years on end at $215(week) or $860(month). Money is the main reason I decided I'm going to clean up my life to begin with. Once again than you all for your support, many of you both knowing and unknowingly have been very helpful. Day 8 opiate free and first day tapering from 16 to 8 a day. Wish me luck, this may be tough, but I am STRONG!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey MPLS,

I'm happy you have found the answers you were looking for here. However, I wanted to comment on what you said to Dr. J.

I don't believe he was being rude at all to you. He was simply trying to point out what he (and alot of us here) considers to be a dangerous way of thinking about suboxone therapy.

Using suboxone to treat your addiction isn't just trading one drug for another. It is giving yourself a chance to be successfull in becoming sober and staying sober long term. Looking at it in the way that you are may possibly lead you or someone else to discontinue treatment before they are really ready, and that would be disasterous. This forum has seen so many people over the years come here with this attitude, using suboxone short term because they are scared to get addicted to "another drug", and alot of them wind up relapsing after a very short period of time.

I don't really believe that saying you will become addicted to suboxone if you use it for a long period of time is an accurate assumption. Yes, you would become dependent on it to stay out of withdrawals, but you are already dependent on heroin to do the same thing. It's not the suboxone that you will be addicted too, it's opiates in general. Any opiate will fill that receptor and keep you from feeling WD. The difference with suboxone is that you will not feel high, you won't feel yourself coming down and want to re-dose throughout the day, and you won't be out chasing drugs trying to keep yourself well. All of those daily triggers can be eliminated and you will have some accountability with regular drug screening from your doctor. You will have the time you need to deal with your addiction while not having to battle the physical WD and cravings that you would normally feel. I like what Dr. J said on another thread. It's kind of like hitting the pause button on your addiction and giving yourself time to gather the ammunition you will need to beat this thing for good.

As for the withdrawal process from suboxone being harder than another opiate...that's just not true. Is it different? Yes. Is it longer? Yes. But that is because of the half life of the drug...not because it's any worse than another opiate. If you taper properly the WD isn't nearly as bad as heroin or even oxy. But, I must point out the fact that the taper process of suboxone is so much easier than tapering from any short acting opiate. How many times have you tried to taper from heroin? It's pretty freaking impossible isn't it? This forum is full of successfull stories of people who have tapered from suboxone. It is just different. I can't explain why, but it is altogether possible where as the tapering of other opiates is just about impossible for most addicts.

You really have to be open to hearing all of this before it's going to sink in though. Most have to learn it the hard way.

I hope you understand what I'm trying to say...I just wanted you to realize Dr. J was not trying to be rude to you. He understands this stuff more than anyone else I've ever seen. He was only trying to help you see the errors in your thinking and help you have the best shot possible at sobriety.

Of course, whatever you decide is best for you is fine. We will support you the best we can even if we don't agree with everything you do. But, you might hear some advice every now and then that you don't like...that's just part of it. As they say in the rooms, take what you like and leave the rest.

I wish you the best of luck!

Q

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2013 11:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Best of luck.