It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 12:59 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am 22 weeks pregnant and on 2mg of suboxone a day. I relapsed about a month ago and havent been clean yet. I live in the state of california. I am deathly afraid of a thing called meconium testing. When the baby is born and passes its first poop they test it and can see all the drugs you have done, what specific kind, how much and when in your pregnancy all the way back to your 18th week. I know i will be completely clean in the next week but what are the chances that CPS will take my baby? Does anyone have any advice on drug testing/ meconium testing? Or any experience with opiate use while pregnant. Or any advice on California;s procedures for after birth testing? My doctor knows i am on sub and knows i use to use. Please dont bash me i am very guilty and scared. Any advice would be great!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 10:35 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi there! I have never heard of meconium testing. I am 16 weeks pregnant and have 2 other children, delivered in Texas. They both passed the meconium in the hospital, but it was NOT tested. I just cleaned the diaper in the room and moved on. I was on opiates with my son (dr prescribed) for fibroid tumors, but got off right before delivery (no suboxone). I am surprised that they would do that. Did your dr tell you about this test? And is it for every baby or just ones with suspicion of drug use? I know plenty of women who used, drank, etc. before they knew they were pregnant (and some during pregnancy!), and I could imagine that would be a CPS nightmare if every single one was called.

I would think that if your dr knows you are on suboxone and you are being honest, you would not have any trouble. Being on suboxone is a form of recovery, not a form of using, in many eyes. There are many more people on this forum with greater knowledge of the rules/regulations about suboxone. I am not one of them, but do know that neither of my children were tested for anything. I haven't heard anyone else on the forum mention that their's were either, except for the NAS scoring for withdrawals. Hopefully, someone from CA who just had a baby can get back to you. Hang in there!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 3:29 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I am not 100% positive, but I don't think they routinely test the meconium. If you have passed all your drug tests at your Sub doctor's office throughout your pregnancy, then I don't think you have anything to worry about. They might test YOU at the hospital for drugs and if you pass that, then you should be fine. I'm thinking as long as those two criteria are met and they have no reason to suspect you are on drugs and you are just taking your Sub as prescribed, then there would be no reason to test the baby. Hope this helps :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 4:51 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi Calix!

Congrats on your baby! So, you relapsed about a month ago, and you haven't been clean since....correct?

If you don't mind me asking, what have you relapsed onto? Im only asking this because depending upon what you've been using, you may want to inform your O.B......just to make sure your baby is ok, possibly do another ultrasound, IDK?

Does your Sub doctor know you've relapsed? And who informed you about this Meconium testing?

IMO, I think you need to talk to your Sub doctor. You obviously relapsed because you were/are having cravings, right?
Have you always been on 2mg Subutex, or have you just recently tapered?

Alot of questions, I know! Im just trying to get a better understanding of your situation so that we can help you.
It sounds like maybe you need to go UP a bit in your Subutex dosage. 2mg is pretty low. This dosage may not be high enough to keep you out of withdrawl, AND keep your cravings at bay............which is probably why you relapsed??

I know that YOU KNOW THIS, but........whatever you've relapsed onto, PLEASE STOP USING, AND GET BACK ON YOUR SUB!
And, like I stated....call your Sub doc so you can let him know how you've been feeling.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Meconium testing is a very reliable and sensitive screening procedure for newborns. I did some Google searching and I couldn't find any law(s) that California has. From what I can tell based on this very cursory search, it seems to depend on each hospital's policy. You can always get creative in trying to find out what their policy is.

I would also like to echo Marie's sentiment....You said you haven't been clean yet. So, PLEASE go back on suboxone ASAP and end the craziness of this relapse - FOR THE BOTH OF YOU!!! You know this never ends well...only down the same fucking dead end. You can do this. I know you can. We're here for you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jul 27, 2011 11:02 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Talk to your Sub doc about your cravings/ relapse, and like others have said, get back on your Sub, at a higher dose if necessary, ASAP.
Do NOT report your relapse to your OB. If they have no suspicion of drug abuse they will not test the meconium. Don't give them a reason to!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 07, 2011 5:41 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Are sensitive teeth a pregnancy symptom? I recently started having sensitive teeth, only my front teeth.Is this a pregnancy symptom? I don't really have any other pregnancy symptoms except for being tired a lot. That's probably because I only get about 5 hours of sleep a night. (school). What are other reasons for sensitive teeth?

Post subject: just a thought..
PostPosted: Thu Nov 10, 2011 10:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Lillyval wrote:
Talk to your Sub doc about your cravings/ relapse, and like others have said, get back on your Sub, at a higher dose if necessary, ASAP.
Do NOT report your relapse to your OB. If they have no suspicion of drug abuse they will not test the meconium. Don't give them a reason to!

I didnt like this advice.. IMO You SHOULD tell your OB right away. If anything happened to the baby from the relapse its better to know now, Also your OB should know all your history so if anything goes wrong they will know what to do.

ALSO.. Im from NY and the hospitals here do drug screens on you after delivery, My cousin just so happens to be a nurse and said the maconium test isnt routine but if they have suspicions they will do one. She said at some places being on Sub alone could give reason to make sure thats all you've been on just because it proves a history of drug abuse. But PLEASE be honest with your OB so your baby gets the best care, theres not much at all they can do about your relapse so you have nothing to worry about, but with that knowledge they can better care for your baby if something happens.. better to be honest now then have something come up later then you gotta tell the truth, that could force the test thinking your hiding stuff and could still be using. Good Luck.

*Battles are fought everyday, some you win & some you lose..Addiction is a war & every second you're still alive you're winning that war..*