It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 12:23 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need Advice
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Before I ask my question, I wanted to put a little backround info on my current situation. I am on day 8 taking subs, 6 mg/day. 2mg in the morning 2mg midday and 2mg at night. I work 6 days a week at night in a reastaurant and start at 5:00. I usually take my midday 2mg an hour before work, as I would start to feel slight w/d during my shift. Since stabalizing on the subs this routine has worked perfectly.

Here is where I am starting to get nervous. I haven't worked since tuesday night. Normally my tips are what I spend, as my paychecks pay rent, gas, etc. I ran out of cash wednesday as I started playing golf again, saw a movie, ate out, you know just trying to enjoy sober life again. I took my midday 2mg dose wednesday as I prepared to go to work but unfortunately, I was called off as it has been slow. Wednesday was fine, I didn't leave the house at all but, still had a good day. Thursday,today, I was called off in the morning. I really had to think about whether or not to take that midday dose. Reading posts I have heard countless times that the stimulus/reward concept is crucial to get rid of.

I haven't left my house since wednesday night to get cigs real quick. I am feeling really anxious. My heart is hammering the entire day (last night I could not fall asleep because of it). I have only taken my 2mg morning dose so far. I normally take my miday dose around this time, but don't know if I should. I am starting to have my first real w/d symptoms since I started the subs. I should probably mention that I have a history of a very fast metabolism. So I am sitting here, wondering what to do. I have had such a smooth experience, and knew this day would eventually come, but can't help but worry. I am also having my first cravings...An old "aquaintance" somehow got my new phone # and, ya you know the rest. It got the wheels turning.

Should I ride it out till tomorrow morning and bump up my dose to say, 6mg? Once a day. I could really use some input from some more experienced people. Also I was only taking 6mg a day (I amprescribed up to 12mg) because my dr. was talking about tapering me off in a month and switching me to Vivitrol injection. I will see him Monday morning for my follow up, and have decided to be honest about my feelings on sub maintenance. Thanks in advance.

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 8:52 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

StillProdigy wrote:
Before I ask my question, I wanted to put a little backround info on my current situation. I am on day 8 taking subs, 6 mg/day. 2mg in the morning 2mg midday and 2mg at night. I work 6 days a week at night in a reastaurant and start at 5:00. I usually take my midday 2mg an hour before work, as I would start to feel slight w/d during my shift. Since stabalizing on the subs this routine has worked perfectly.

Here is where I am starting to get nervous. I haven't worked since tuesday night. Normally my tips are what I spend, as my paychecks pay rent, gas, etc. I ran out of cash wednesday as I started playing golf again, saw a movie, ate out, you know just trying to enjoy sober life again. I took my midday 2mg dose wednesday as I prepared to go to work but unfortunately, I was called off as it has been slow. Wednesday was fine, I didn't leave the house at all but, still had a good day. Thursday,today, I was called off in the morning. I really had to think about whether or not to take that midday dose. Reading posts I have heard countless times that the stimulus/reward concept is crucial to get rid of.

I haven't left my house since wednesday night to get cigs real quick. I am feeling really anxious. My heart is hammering the entire day (last night I could not fall asleep because of it). I have only taken my 2mg morning dose so far. I normally take my miday dose around this time, but don't know if I should. I am starting to have my first real w/d symptoms since I started the subs. I should probably mention that I have a history of a very fast metabolism. So I am sitting here, wondering what to do. I have had such a smooth experience, and knew this day would eventually come, but can't help but worry. I am also having my first cravings...An old "aquaintance" somehow got my new phone # and, ya you know the rest. It got the wheels turning.

Should I ride it out till tomorrow morning and bump up my dose to say, 6mg? Once a day. I could really use some input from some more experienced people. Also I was only taking 6mg a day (I amprescribed up to 12mg) because my dr. was talking about tapering me off in a month and switching me to Vivitrol injection. I will see him Monday morning for my follow up, and have decided to be honest about my feelings on sub maintenance. Thanks in advance.

STILL; I am sorry you are having trouble. I don't understand why you quit taking your sub just because you didn't get called into work...this med is to be taken REGULARLY every day to keep your system full of it...if you slack off of it you might feel some withdrawal. Your life is way too important to not take your sub. It will stop the cravings and keep you from hooking up with your old friend...It will eventually make you feel good, normal and well again. Do you really want to go back to your other life?? Don't be so obsessed with the sub, whether you should take it, how much bla bla...just stay on your dose or even up it a little and take it everyday just like you would take a blood pressure pill or something. This is what I do and my whole life has changed. I take 8mg. in the mornings and 2mg. in the afternoon and can take more if needed. I usually don't need it. It sure beats the hell out of my drug seeking hell on earth life I was living before.

Good luck to you....talk to somebody and don't hang out with your drug friends...you are young and have your whole life ahead of you. keep us posted..

Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 9:10 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thanks slipper. Normally I would do just as you say, and just stick with my normal schedule. My concern right now is that it's uncertain whether or not I will have subs in 3 weeks. You are right thogh, I need to stop stressing on this. I guess its just pent up anxiety stress wutever. Aaarrggghh!! The phone call was just that, a call. It was unexpected but I shut it down. I'm not going back.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:31 pm 
OP, my advice is that if you think you'll have to discontinue Suboxone shortly, use the next 4-5 days to do a VERY rapid taper (since youve only been on it 8 days) and discontinue the medication.

If you take it for 3-4 weeks and then stop, I think the withdrawal will definitely be more intense.

I hope you don't have to do this. Everyone deserves a little help with this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:35 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

How much has your doctor prescribed? 6mg a day? I was just a bit confused about what's going on.

The ideal thing with Sub treatment is to find a dose & regimen where it holds you comfortably, so that your taking Sub is a part of a routine, and out of mind as much as it can be. Ideally it'd be once a day, but because of my metabolism, dosing twice a day gives me more even levels. If I was in your position, taking 6mg in one hit would likely hold me through the day, but leave me a big hanging / craving in the night, and possibly waking up in withdrawals. It's a trade-off for us ppl with fast metabolisms. We can get more effect earlier, or less effect spread over the day.

If you're on a low dose that's not enough, IMO it'd be wise to break your dose up like you have been. It's the same reason people who've tapered down low split up their daily dosing.

The stimulus-response thing you said is very true. It's also important that we're not too preoccupied with taking our Sub as well, when to take them, and having enough left to get through work/mum's visit/court/whatever. That was a using thing for me, stressing that I'd have enough gear to get through work or family gathering or whatever. But I understand that your doc isn't prescribing you any more, so it's not something you can easily avoid.

If I were you, I would keep doing what you're doing with the 2 x 2 x 2, but contact your doctor's office ASAP to organise an earlier appointment and tell him what you're thinking about maintenance, and tell him how you're going on the dose. Hopefully he'll come around, and if he doesn't, you still have options.

Cravings suck, but they're a big part of recovery. Unfortunately, the only way we can learn to handle them is to experience them. Thinking about all those 'handling cravings' theory classes they put me through, honestly I think were a waste. I always conveniently forgot everything when I needed it the most. Just remember that cravings they do pass. That mantra seems to subdue them for me. And the feeling of satisfaction I get after beating a craving is better than any drug can provide. 9/10 times, for me, cravings are gone by the time I wake up. So filling up your time until you get your head on the pillow is a must. Until then, it's about occupying yourself with something engaging enough that it blocks out that chatter. Reading / writing music / solving problems help me. For other people it's gym, or swimming, or working. U just gotta find your "thing". Posting here helps me too, I spose. I haven't craved for a while! "Thank you, Suboxforum!" :lol:

I wouldn't go as far as saying Suboxone stops people's cravings. At least it doesn't for me. It just seems to make them a bit easier to work through, like they give me that 'edge' I needed.

Just today I called up an old friend who I was 'in and out' of recovery with for years, and we'd often use together. He's supposed to be on Suboxone. I called up, and he was in a real state. Still under the influence, and a mess. It's been on the cards for some time, but I'm probably going to distance myself. Even though we met trying to get clean, talking / hanging around him just always brings me down, more than it helps him, I think. We gotta look after number 1 sometimes in this game.

Good luck, and do get ahold of your doctor.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 9:49 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Suboxone totally eliminates my cravings for all opiates. Maybe it's because I'm on a higher dose and it's the right amount I happen to need for it to address all my cravings. But the idea of suboxone IS for it to eliminate our physical cravings. Completely-as long as the dose is sufficient. Now obviously, some people still have what I consider "psychological" cravings leftover. But the cravings that stem from the brain's need for opiates should be completely gone by virtue of having the suboxone occupying the receptors. Therefore - no need for the brain to crave what it already has.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 10:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I plan on getting off Suboxone at some stage, so I like to stay on a level where I can learn to deal with some cravings. It's also why I want to do a really slow taper, not to prevent acute withdrawal, but so I'll have more experience with handling cravings when they come up once I'm off Suboxone. I could go on 24-32mg and live craving free, but it'd be a harder dose to taper off, and I'd just end up confronting the cravings anyway.

I can understand people who'd chose to get cravings out of their life completely, and I would do the same if I chose to stay on Suboxone indefinitely.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 3:01 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Tj as far as what I am prescribed, It says take half a strip (8mg) every 6 hours following taper instructions per MD. I admit that I am overthinking the subs right now. I guess the uncertainty about where the dr. wants to go with my treatment has me worried about taking too much, and thus having a more difficult taper. Fighting off the craving yesterday was huge for me, like you said, I could feel a sense of accomplishment that was a rush in itself!

Hat, I do believe that, like you described, what I had was a psychological craving. The subs do stop all cravings for me but, as I have just over a week its "leftover". I believe this is where suboxone helps me the most. Knowing that using would not affect me at all, is a sort of mental leash. Also I am famous for planning relapses, so the long half life is great.

I think stickng to the 2-2-2 until monday should be fine...Then we will see what the dr. says.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:23 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I just gotta get my head around this idea. I've never had a physical craving as such, only physical withdrawal.

The cravings I was talking about were psychological cravings, the only cravings I know.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Dec 17, 2011 7:23 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I don't really know what kind of craving it was, It was really intense though. I got through it, just distracted myself and it passed. It was probably all psychological, as I don't know what a physicak craving really is either. I have my dr. Appt in 2 days so I am sti king with the 2-2-2 for now.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Jan 16, 2012 12:44 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I got the picture of your situation.Never felt like you