It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:37 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 9:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hello everyone. After reading some of the other posts on here, I decided I wanted to sign up and post myself. Thank you all for your encouragement. It is nice to know I am not the only one dealing with all of this.

I started taking subs about a year ago. Prior to that I was taking 80 mg OC. Didn't take long to start building a tolerance to those, and of course the amount of $$ my husband and I were spending was ridiculous. Towards the end we couldn't function without OC in our system. I decided to look into doctors in our area who prescribed Suboxone. We did a little bit of reasearch prior to our induction phase, but at that point we just wanted our lives back.
When we first started taking subs, we felt great on 24 mg/day. Then I started to crave sweets like nothing I had ever experienced. It was insane. I also started to swell pretty badly in my legs, feet and hands. I went to the doctor, they ran tests and put me on a medication to reduce the swelling. Nothing fixed it. The doctor told me he had never had a patient who had swelling and that it was not a side effect of subs. Ran more tests and couldn't find anything so decided to put me on 40 mg OC, just to see if the swelling would go down. It took a few days but the swellingfinally went down. The doctor was still convinced it had nothing to do with sub. He thought it was my diet, and suggested I cut all sweets and salt out completely. He also upped my Prozac intake to 40 mg a day. Finally the swelling went down, and I have been taking about 4 mg per day for the past few months (give or take). We both just really want off of them. The cost alone is a motivating factor, even though we have insurance through our employer, the medication is still costly.

I am concerned because lately my face, scalp and neck are constantly sweating. It doesn't matter if I'm sitting still or running around. I brought this up to my doctor. He said he couldn't prescribe me anything for the prespiration. Said I needed to start to ween off the subs slowly. After reading posts from others it sounds like there is a solution for the sweating and a plan to ween off the subs. Has this happened to anyone else? If so, what did you present to your doctor to suggest there could be a solution to the sweating? It's really embarrassing, especially in front of co-workers and clients I have to interact with.

Please respond to this post with any suggestions, comments or questions. Hope to find some sort of answer to all of this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:26 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi zing and welcome. Actually, if I recall correctly I've read about one or two other people who suffered edema as a side effect of sub. If memory serves, they were on a rather high dose, too. Am I understanding you correctly - you had the swelling at 24 mg but no longer have it now that you're on 4 mg? It's my non-medical opinion that it was directly related to your dose.

As for the sweating, yes, that is a common side effect. I don't sweat all the time, but doing "normal" things do make me sweat like crazy. And it is predominantly my head and neck that do all this lovely sweating. So you are not alone on that one either. There are a couple of medications that could in effect treat this sweating. What I'm thinking of are a couple of different bladder medications who's side effect happens to be reduced sweating. I rather doubt that there are many doctors out there willing to prescribe it to someone who doesn't have a bladder problem thought - but you never know.

If you've decided to definitely taper off it now, just make sure you give yourself plenty of time to do a low, slow, extended taper. That's the best (if not only) way to ensure a painless transition off. There are many threads here about people who have stopped suboxone. The common theme is that those who did a long, slow taper tend to have a more painless time of it.

Again, welcome. I wish you well, regardless of whether you stay on it or go off.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 6:49 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hi Hatmaker,
Thank you for the response. Yes, you are understanding correctly. Edema began at about the third week on subs at 24 mg/day. Also, I didn't sweat consistently like this in the beginning. Now the dose has gone down to about 4-8mg per day. I really try to tough it out and take 4 mg. The other weird part is that it's usually at work when the sweating episodes hit, or when I am getting ready for work. On the weekends, it doesn't seem to come up that much.
Well I have read about a few medications that people who perspire can take while on subs. Have you heard of Cogentin (benztropine) which is prescribed to patients who have been diagnosed with Facial hyperhidrosis. It's just odd that the longer I have taken subs, the worse the sweating is getting. I have also noticed an increase in headaches, and a little bit with the sleeping pattern. I take the non CR Ambien, that seems to help with the sleeping, but I am still waking up a lot during the night, and am thinking that it has something to do with a tolerance to the Ambien. I am aslo taking Melatonin and sometimes Tylenol PM OR Benadryl. I have been on the 4 mg a day for a few months now. Some days I feel as though I have to keep taking more because I still don't feel "good." I have read it's worse to increase/decrease your dosage bc of the "ceiling effect." I am not familiar with that term.

My doctor actually doesn't think it's time for me to be off of them completely, and once I start to try, I feel like I get discouraged bc of all the side effects, or I start to panic and freak out if I don't have them just in case I start to WD really bad. I guess I just need to give myself a long period of time to really taper off the subs, from what I read it sounds pretty intense.

Has anyone ever been prescribed Ativan? Are there any side effects (negative/positive?) I believe this is like Xanax, but you can take it and function at work, etc. It's also supposed to be less addicting. Does anyone have experience with this?

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 8:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ativan is a benzo, just like xanax. I don't know if it's less addicting, as they say, or not. Keep in mind there are warnings about using benzos and bupe at the same time. Many doctors will not prescribe them together.

Back to the sweating...My absolute worse time for sweating is actually quite odd. After I get out of the shower I must "take a break" (so to speak) in order to STOP SWEATING before I can do my hair, etc. After drying my hair, then I must wait again before finishing my hair and getting dressed. It's a real pain in the ass, let me tell you. Who sweats AFTER a shower, I ask you? Well, it would seem, I do.

I will try to explain the ceiling effect for you, but there are probably others who can do so better than I. Above the ceiling, which is often considered to be at or around (it's not set in stone) 4 mg, one's opiate receptors are completely saturated. This is what stops the physical cravings for opiates. At or below the ceiling the receptors are not saturated. Suboxone (buprenorphine) is a partial agonist. Regular pain pills like oxy are full agonists. In doses below the ceiling, suboxone is said to act like (not become) a full agonist. For this reason many people can "feel" it when they dose. The ceiling is what makes bupe different; allows us to take the same amount and not build up a tolerance and therefore not needing to increase the dose over time.

Again, I'm not the best person to explain it and I may have parts of that wrong, but it's how I understand it. Anyone want to jump in and help me out? (Or correct me if I've said anything in error.)

I hope this helps a little.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject: Sweating and Subs
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 8:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hatmaker,
Thank you for the information. The explanation on the ceiling effect makes a lot of sense. I went to my dr. about the sweating, and he prescribed 7.5 mg 2-3x per day of Propantheline. It is prescribed for patients with ulcers. Today is my first day taking, so I will let you know what happens.

Did you mention to your doc about the sweating? Mine gets really bad when I am at work, at my desk. I am hoping this helps, and side effects are minimal. Keep me posted on your progress too!

Take care,

hatmaker510 wrote:
Ativan is a benzo, just like xanax. I don't know if it's less addicting, as they say, or not. Keep in mind there are warnings about using benzos and bupe at the same time. Many doctors will not prescribe them together.

Back to the sweating...My absolute worse time for sweating is actually quite odd. After I get out of the shower I must "take a break" (so to speak) in order to STOP SWEATING before I can do my hair, etc. After drying my hair, then I must wait again before finishing my hair and getting dressed. It's a real pain in the ass, let me tell you. Who sweats AFTER a shower, I ask you? Well, it would seem, I do.

I will try to explain the ceiling effect for you, but there are probably others who can do so better than I. Above the ceiling, which is often considered to be at or around (it's not set in stone) 4 mg, one's opiate receptors are completely saturated. This is what stops the physical cravings for opiates. At or below the ceiling the receptors are not saturated. Suboxone (buprenorphine) is a partial agonist. Regular pain pills like oxy are full agonists. In doses below the ceiling, suboxone is said to act like (not become) a full agonist. For this reason many people can "feel" it when they dose. The ceiling is what makes bupe different; allows us to take the same amount and not build up a tolerance and therefore not needing to increase the dose over time.

Again, I'm not the best person to explain it and I may have parts of that wrong, but it's how I understand it. Anyone want to jump in and help me out? (Or correct me if I've said anything in error.)

I hope this helps a little.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 22, 2010 10:32 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Hi Zing....

When I first started taking subs I would wake up in a pool of sweat. I attributed it to my apartment being very hot and not having central A/C. I bought a fan which kept the room, but it didn't stop my sweating. I would sweat at work, at home, anywhere I went. After a while, the sweating subsided and I would wake up with just a bead of sweat on my head. Now I really don't sweat anymore. Every once in a while it acts up, but not like it used to.

I know that doesn't give you any answers, just lets you know that you are not in the boat alone.

Post subject: Hypercare or Drysol
PostPosted: Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:14 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Have your doctor persribe hypercare solution. It is extra strong, and dries up all the sweat glands around the areas applied. Suboxone has made me sweat, and be nervous to the point of wanting to quit. So far the hypercare has worked for the extreme sweating but I still want off.