It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:20 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 1:03 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Maybe I'm worrying about this more than I should but I have about 35 hours to figure this out.

Okay so last time I saw my doc, he increased my dose from 8mgs to 12mgs a day and said that he'd see me in two weeks time and wrote me a script. I thought maybe next time I could ask for 16mgs total because I think that's the perfect dose for me but anyway, when I go to the desk to make the appointment for two weeks, the receptionist says the doctor won't be there that day and says he's gone all that week and the latest he could see me again for a follow up would be in a week. Which was fine at the time. Then I get my prescription at the pharmacy and I thought I was going to get 8mg tablets along side 4mg tables but instead they gave me 21 8mg tablets which makes keeping count a little more confusing. (Basically the point of me telling you this is I'm suppose to have 8.5 total left over when I see him the day after tomorrow).

Since I saw my doctor last, a bunch of incidents occured that made me want to use but instead I stupidly took an extra one or just a little more then I'm suppose to and now I'm short at least 2 but maybe 3 tablets short for Wednesday. And I always bring them in when I have some left so he can count and since this is an early visit, I'm pretty sure he's going to want to know how much I have left. Not sure if he's going to do the math to figure out how much I really SHOULD have left because sometimes he doesn't but either way, I don't want him to think I was selling or am irresponsible. Wednesday, if I keep up with my prescribed schedule, I will be 4.5 or 5 short when I see him if I decide to take a dose wednesday morning before I see him. Odds are I'm going to be tested this time because last time I wasn't and there needs to be a high level of the buprenorphine groups in there.

I really think I should be on 2 a day anyway. I think that would be the perfect dose and splitting those tablets in half is kind of tedious. That sword half mark hardly helps and they are crumbley.

So I guess my question is, is he going to be mad, suspicious, or think I'm not responsible enough? I really don't want to get kicked off the program. I've only had one slip up since I started in August, (dirty UA for THC) which I was honest about and he was cool with.

Has anyone had this situation happen before? Should I say "rather then using, I took an extra tablet because I was really upset" or is that the wrong thing to say? I think being honest and not using excuses like "I dropped some when I was breaking the pill" is the way to go (even though I did one time this weekend). or What do you think I should tell him? Should I just be honest? Is this serious or am I worrying too much? If I could do this past week over, I would've toughed it out and stuck to my prescribed dose. I'm not abusing them not that with my tolerance its even possible really. I'm doing really good though. I go to AODA, meetings, even quit smoking which wasn't even a requirement. I'd be devasted. I was hoping to even ask to be upped to 2 8mgs a day, but with this, is that a good idea to ask?

Anyone have this siuutation occur before and how did it go? Any advice? Comments? What do you think he's going to do and say? Am i worrying too much? Maybe he won't even care that much?

And advice/comments in the next 35 hours please!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Dec 11, 2012 11:04 pm 

I think it's going to be OK unless your doctor is a complete jerk. No, you are not the only one who has used more sub than they are supposed to! In fact, I think it's fairly common.

I think that honesty is the best policy if your doctor seems reasonable. I would say that you are glad that he upped your dose, but you think you might even need to be on 16 mg, because you are still feeling cravings at 12 mg. In fact, you've been taking a little more than 12 mg here and there because you needed to keep yourself from using, and that is why your count is a little low.

Be humble, be honest, and show gratitude, and I think you have a good chance at making it through the appointment.

Let us know how it goes!

And welcome to the forum! I hope you stick around and tell us more about your experiences.

Amy

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:41 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

Thanks I feel a little better. I just don't know if saying I took extra ones because of how emotionally difficult this last week has been is the right thing to say as I should be practicing coping skills while on the suboxone program, not using extra of my meds to do the job for me. My doctor is a really nice doctor but he had told me he does pill counts but hasn't ever on me except when I bring them in. And now I'm 4.5 tablets short. So nervous for tomorrow! At least my urine I'll be squeaky clean besides a high amount of Buprenorphine! And I stopped the nicotine gum a couple days ago. I will post after the appointment!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:54 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi healing waters,

Welcome to the forum!!

It sounds like you have a pretty good doctor. If I were you, I'd be honest with him, but in a smart way. I'd let him know I took too many pills, but I'd also try to let him know that I took the pills for the wrong reason. I'd state something to the effect that my addict thinking got the better of me and I need to work on that. Know what I mean?

He knows you're an addict, he should also know that an addicts road to recovery isn't always a straight line. Sometimes we hit bumps and get thrown off track for a bit.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2012 11:13 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

What a day! Man. Okay. So first I wanted to say sorry for just signing up when I needed to be calmed down about this. I actually had a previous account with one post but the username wasn't eactly fitting and I do want to post here more so I changed it. This is definitely the best suboxone forum on the net and I plan to be on the suboxone program for a long time. I'm sure I have a lot to contribute to this coommunit and I'll head over to the Induction page after this.

With that being said, no, he didn't take me off it. Thank God. I didn't sleep much last night over this and when he came in, we talked about what's been going on and all and he was so happy to hear the progress I making and such and thats when I brought up that I've been taking two a day here and there, not 1.5 like he prescribed and it wasn't too big of deal and I got my side out before he said anything about it.

I told him how I was posting on here asking what's going to happen and all and that I was comforted when I was told I think it'll be okay so long as you're doc isn't a complete jerk and all and I said I made a mistake and made my addiction get the better of me.

What he said to that was, "Well, it doesn't have anything to do with whether I'm a jerk or not. The fact of the matter is, rules are rules. We have to follow them. You signed a contract. If you're using more then you're prescribed, YOU'RE DONE."

At that second my heart sank BUT THEN: "However, I do make exceptions for honest patients who are doing good. And I will increase you to two a day but we have to do more frequent visits, pill counts, etc."

And relief! I got upped to two a day. I got very, very lucky. He didn't even drug test me but I'm sure the office will be calling soon and I'll have to go in unexpectadly.

He said I had to finish up the next two days on 1.5 though and not start the 2 a day til Saturday and wrote me a script for 36 and I have to be back the 3rd. YAY. So thankful everything went okay. And I definitely won't be going over my limit again.

Anyone reading this in the future from now who has the same issue, remember how my doc says rules are rules and don't expect that it will be fine just because I got lucky. Stick with your dose!

Thank you, you two for replying, it was very helpful for the time and I'm look forward to reading more posts in the future.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2012 1:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey, that's great news!!

Your doctor sounds like he actually cares and he sounds like he's also pretty strict, which is a good thing. In the future, if you have any more problems, don't adjust your dose yourself, call him first!! We addicts like to play doctor for ourselves and most times, it doesn't turn out so well.

One caveat and there's a thread out there discussing this right now.....many of us get to the point where we can take a little less than our prescribed dose and we'll "stockpile" that Suboxone for an emergency. Technically, we're not following our doctors orders, but again, we addicts usually get ourselves into trouble by taking too much meds, not by taking less.

Glad everything turned out so well!!!