It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 3:04 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 8:03 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

[b] [font=Arial Black] [/font] Hey everyone..I just joined today but hav been lurkin around the forum for a few days.I have to say i feel so lucky to have found this wonderful group!!!.

Well lil bout me. I'm going to start subs soon actually this coming tues.I'm really scared and i don't know what to expect. I have been takin 80 mgs of Oxys daily for a few months now. If I'm not taking them I'm taking Vics or Percs so I don't WD. I'm always using some kinda opiate.Been about a yr now. Before that i have almost 7 years sober!! I got sober from Heroin in 2001 and off methadone in 2003.I felt like I finally conqured my demons.

It all started with one vicodin script for me..That fast!!!! I just want my normal life back! I have a beautiful child a loving husband and a nice home :cry: I feel like I live a double life. Nobody knows anthing.Well at least the don't make their suspisions known to me.I want my life back!! I want to spend all this $$ on my family.Not throw it away on dope!!

anyways I know i have to me in Mild-Mod withdrawl before my appt.24 hrs if I'm correct.I think thats what I'm so damn scared of! I already know they are not going to give me my first doese in the office.They said they are goin to write me the script and I have to take it to the pharmacy. I feel like maybe not goin there in complete WD since I'm bringing it home anyways and just goin into wd here at home comfortable. whats your advice?

I think it's just the thought of being sick its making me not want to follow through! I have already rescheduled my last appt. Can anyone tell me what i can expect my first visit and my first day or so on subs? Will I still be in withdrawl? When will I feel back to my old self?

I'm really looking for any advice,help I can get right now. Thanks for reading.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 9:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Hey MSD,

You will get a lot of good advice here. I am fairly new myself but can volunteer my experience. It is pretty important to be in some withdrawal as you've indicated. Not being so will bring on immediate full scale w/d, not something you want to experience. However if you lay off your oxys for 12 hours or more you will likely feel great not too long after you take your first suboxone dose. My doc told me to wait 12 hours after leaving his office to take my first dose. I had been in w/d from methadone for several days, but was still taking vics, so I waited until the next morning just to be absolutely certain I wouldn't have any problems. I didn't. Within 30 minutes after taking the first sub I had no more w/d, no cravings, and got a little bit high in a different way, that first day. By the second day there was no further euphoria from the sub. I had some problems sleeping at first, although others I understand sleep more while taking subox. Now that I am somewhat stable I am sleeping fine. There is no need to be scared. I'm sure you've been in some w/d before for 12 to 24 hours. you're lucky you're not coming from meth which has a much longer half life than oxys. good luck and I am sure you will be happy you kept your appointment :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 11:30 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hello Miss SD,

I have been on subs for 6 months now therefore I don't have to much to offer as many other people should but as new sub did I will offer a quick review of my induction. I was taking mostly oxys during my addiction but as you mentioned I would take anything around if needed. I couldn't find any oxys for a few days prior to my sub induction and was barely getting by on 10-30mg percs. and only a few of them at that. So the night before my induction I only had about 100mgs throughout that day of percs only as opposed to my usual 300+mgs of oxys, so I wasn't dying but not good. I had my last pill a 10mg perc at 10pm and took 4mgs of suboxone at 11am the next morning. I felt alot better 25minutes after taking the suboxone. During my 1st day on Subs I ended up taking 16mgs but honestly I think I would have been fine at 8mgs but I was used to taking more and more.{Big mistake in the long run but I won't bore you with all that}

The point of my story is with short acting opiates like percs + vics you will more than likely be ok starting subs about 12-16 hours after. With long lasting opiates like Oxys and Meth you will need the full 24+ hours because they occupy the recepters long and stay in your system longer. I am not at all sure of this information it is only my opinion but I read a lot of info about suboxone and know many people who take it so what I am telling you is ONLY what I have been told or have read somewhere. Other people will know more.

Please stay around and let us no how you make out! Suboxone has really changed my life. I never ever believed I would ever get off oxys. GOOD LUCK :)

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:38 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Please be patience with your self, I,ve been on Suboxone for a year, there have been a few days when I felt bad, especially when trying to cut back a little.. Suboxone is that wonder drug, Good Luck, Mike

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:50 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello and welcome to the forum. My induction wasn't typical, so I won't go into my experience, as it won't help you. But I will say this: When it comes to your pre-induction withdrawal state, it's more important to look at the extent of your w/d and not the length of time you've been withdrawing - if that makes sense.

Do a Google search for "COWS scale" - it's used to determine the state of your withdrawals and is usually what doctors go by. So don't concern yourself with how LONG you've been withdrawing. Pay attention to how BAD your withdrawals are.

I wish you the very best for your induction. Hang in there and keep us posted on how you're doing. Again, WELCOME!

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 9:23 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Hi Miss.Self.Destruct,
Get ready to change you name to Ms. In Recovery.... :)
Welcome to the Forum and thanks for sharing your fears / concerns with us so others may benefit from the discussion!! I can only tell you about my Induction and it was a GREAT Experience! The 24 hr. rule is pretty standard BUT the others are right when they say it is not a Time Thing it is more where you are in your W/D's that matters. In my case it was about 24 hrs. from last using to first dose of Suboxone. My first dose was in the Drs. office as well and within an hour and a half after my first dose I felt like I was going to be able to save my life!!! First time I had felt like that in years... I don't want to sugar coat it..... It was HELL for most of that 24 hours waiting to be dosed But, I wanted to do it right so I had a chance to succeed!!! That awful day was about 19 Months ago and I'm happy to report that things are going pretty well. I have since also got Sober (15 months) and although life is still difficult Very Difficult at times I am Clean & Sober and if I did Not have my Suboxone and my meetings / Counseling (this Forum is BIG part of my Recovery) I would be LOST!!!! Well that's enough from me! I wish you the best of luck & continued success on Your Recovery!!!! Please stick around the Forum and post when you can... Your input is valuable!!!!!! Take care of yourself...

God Bless
TW

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Sep 17, 2010 10:00 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Awesome, more new people finding suboxone and taking their lives back! I love it!

You'll be OK and Hatmaker is right, the DURATION of your withdrawal is really not relevant, the intensity of your withdrawal is what matters.....and you know something? The first time I took suboxone, it was a diverted couple of 8mg tablets that a friend from my substance abuse therapy group gave me and I was NOT too far into withdrawal and it worked really, really well for me.....now I'm certainly not suggesting this is a good way of going about inducting, but the fact is, everyone reacts differently.

Good luck!

Post subject: just to say hi
PostPosted: Sun Sep 19, 2010 2:45 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I read your posts and just wanted to know how you are doing.Love & hope, queenie