It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 7:38 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 6:22 am 
New Poster
New Poster

I'm currently 36 weeks pregnant with my 3rd child. I went to my doctors appointment yesterday & my OB asked if I took suboxone of subutext . I told him no. He said it's been positive from day 1, but there is no way. I don't take suboxone every single day. I honestly rarely take it, & when I do it's like .125mg. I only take it because I am so stressed out. But usually it may be once a week, or once every two weeks. Just when my nerves have just hit there limit I guess lol. & it does help calm me down. I didn't start this on my own. I had a friend tell me it would help my nerves. I've been through a lot during this pregnancy. So I did quit yesterday after him askin me. I don't plan on taking it anymore. But now I know I need
To talk to him & I have no idea what to say, or how to say it. I don't know what will happen after giving birth. I'm just a mess. I am a really good parent. I have a two year old & one year old. They're always by mommas side no matter where I go. I don't like babysitters. So they're always with me. But you know how doctors are, one little thing & they automatically think you're the worst parent in the world. Which I understand what I did wasn't a good idea, but the amount of stress I have been under , I just didn't know what else to do. Has anybody else been through this?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 7:20 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

MommyOfThree,

I would say, "honesty is the best policy", especially during pregnancy. For the doctor to know the best treatments for both you and your baby, he really needs to know all the facts. Next time you see him just tell him everything like you did here.

Thanks for posting and please keep us updated on your progress.
--Morphing

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:24 pm 

I agree with Morphing. Is it true that you won't take more? Will you be able to stay away from it for the rest of your pregnancy?

Tell your OB what you told us and let him/her know that there will be no more positive tests. Then follow through with that. If you're not testing positive between now and when your baby is born they have no reason to do something extreme like call CPS. So stay strong and follow your word!

I am more concerned about your long term health and possible addiction. If you are using sub to create a different mood/feeling for yourself you are at risk for addiction. It IS possible to become addicted to sub, even though it's what many opiate addicts use to stay in recovery. One of our members, QuietAddict, is addicted to sub. I don't know when a person crosses the line between casual user and addict, but I do know that it's easier than you think. And once you are addicted you have changed your brain FOR LIFE! There is no going back! So please don't get anymore from your friend.

I also have to question what type of friend would give a pregnant person some sub just to take the edge off. That's extremely irresponsible of her. People who are in recovery don't casually give sub to pregnant friends. They just don't.

Good luck with your OB! As long as you follow through with your intentions I think you'll be fine.

Amy

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 12:43 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Yes I won't have a problem staying away from it. I'm not one to let myself get carried away, I never have been. My dad has used drugs all his life, my mom was an alcoholic for years. I know what drugs do to people. I may of taken it for stress, but I won't have a problem not taking it anymore. I have rarely even taken suboxone. I understand your concern though. Most people do get addicted, but I have more Will power than that. I've only taken suboxone maybe 5 times during my pregnancy & it was never a full strip or full pill. It was always more of a pinch off one. I have never used anything during my other two pregnancies. But I know this baby is healthy. She's measured right on everything. Her heart beat is great everytime. I feel horrible that I would even let myself take suboxone because of stress. I'm just not that kind of person. I will definitely keep you ladies updated & thank you for your advice. He's inducing me at 39 weeks since this is my 3rd baby. But I will more than likely go before then. No more suboxone for me! My child is more important than that.

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:12 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I also have another question. With what little I would take how long do you ladies think it will be out of my system? I go back to the doctor on the 14th. I just want it to be out. With what little I took you'd think it would be, right?

PostPosted: Tue May 05, 2015 1:32 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I am a guy, but I am concerned about this one! If the Dr. says you have shown Suboxone since day one? How in the world does this stuff actually stay in our system so long. I just had a friend that just had her baby and the baby showed pot in it's system and she was worried about them calling in on her. But they said if she would have had anything else in her system, they would have been forced to call and report her. She is having to go to classes every week about the pot that was in her system. So please take these ladies advice and do not take any more. You don't have a prescription for it. I think my friend said it had something to do with the "breast" milk???
Be careful
Happy

PostPosted: Wed May 06, 2015 1:09 am 

If you are a true addict, which the OP does not seem to be, per doctor's orders you are supposed to keep taking buprenorphine but switch to a formula without naloxone in it. It's in the baby's best interest to have a mother who is stable and not shooting heroin, etc. Some OBs and sub doctors recommend tapering to a lower dose, but sometimes the pregnant woman needs to increase her dose because of the increased blood volume in the pregnant woman.

If a pregnant woman does taper, it should be done so slowly that she is comfortable most of the time. If she is comfortable, the baby is comfortable. If the baby develops NAS (Neonatal Abstinence Syndrome) after birth, the baby is treated with an opiate and slowly titrated down. Buprenorphine is less likely than other opiates to cause NAS in a baby, which is why it's important that a pregnant addict stays stable on her bupe.

Here are the potential problems of being on buprenorphine while pregnant. There is no evidence that bupe will harm a baby as long as treatment is available. Despite the fact that the baby is not harmed by its mother's medication, the stigma of being a pregnant addict is potentially damaging to the baby's family. There are a number of OBs that aren't familiar with buprenorphine during pregnancy, so he/she may not give the best advice. For example, the OB might recommend stopping buprenorphine immediately, which could cause miscarriage. I believe that most OBs are aware of the harm of suddenly stopping bupe, but I'm sure there are a few left who aren't.

The medical staff where the mom gives birth may treat the delivering mother poorly with the knowledge that she is an addict. The last thing a delivering mom needs is bias and bad treatment by the staff. Once the baby is born the staff may be overzealous in looking for signs and symptoms of NAS in the baby. All babies sneeze and cry, for example. But a newborn with NAS cries excessively and sneezes more often. The nurses are required to score the infant on the NAS scale. If they score incorrectly because of a bias against addicts, the baby has to go through a long hospital stay, hooked up to morphine or methadone until the doctor believes the baby is ready to be off of it. The mom and baby should be bonding during this time. If the baby truly has NAS, then the baby needs to be treated, of course. But I wonder how many babies have undergone treatment that they didn't need because a nurse or pediatrician thinks addicts are terrible people who should be punished.

Another issue is that there are differences among medical professionals whether or not a mother on buprenorphine should be breastfeeding or not. Obviously, breastfeeding is considered practically an imperative for most newborns. However, there is concern that there could be a small amount of bupe in the breast milk of a mother on the medication. Some professionals, like our own Dr. Junig, think that breastfeeding should take place. Part of the thinking is that if the newborn were to have a slight case of NAS, the slight amount of buprenorphine would be beneficial. The baby would wean naturally as it grew older. Other doctors believe that the miniscule amount of bupe in breast milk would be harmful to the baby.

These and other issues unfortunately make bupe during pregnancy something that is often not discussed with the OB or other medical professionals. This is particularly true if the addict is obtaining bupe illegally. It's really a shame.

Amy

PostPosted: Sat May 16, 2015 3:03 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I cannot stress how much you really really need to discuss this with your OB and to be completely honest about it. You shouldn't start a drug like Suboxone or Subutex simply because you're stressed out, especially during pregnancy which I know can be a difficult time. Are you sure you're not an addict? Also, depending on how much you have been taking you may go through some withdrawal, which is definitely not fun, comfortable or a good idea whilst pregnant. I recently was and still am on Subutex throughout my pregnancy and had a beautiful baby girl on April 15th. Suboxone has an extremely long half life so it's going to stay in your system for longer than say heroin would. Your baby also can store it in their bone marrow so after it's born when it's not getting it anymore through you he or she will start to use what they have stored. When they run out they can start going through withdrawal. My baby girl had to go through that but thankfully they were mild and she didn't need morphine or phenobarbital. CPS may get involved when you give birth if you still test positive on a drug screen or if your baby does. Be prepared for that. But, pleease please talk to your doctor about this. It's very important. Your doctor and the labor and delivery staff should know beforehand if there's a chance your baby will go through withdrawal so they can be as prepared as possible. If you don't tell them and your baby does go through withdrawal they'll find out anyways. They usually show the full amount of withdrawal by day 3 and most hospitals use a point system to tell if they need medication. These are all things you should consider and be prepared for. You should learn the different things you can do to keep withdrawing babies as comfortable as possible. I hope this works out in favor of your baby. Good luck!