It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:22 am 
New Poster
New Poster

hi
been on maintenance program for years now in Wirral in the UK, started with methedone, then subutex 6mg
now down to 2mg a day. this keeps me stable, I have a good job, the program helped me turn my life around from being on the streets, to going back to college, get good qualifications, so now I have a good lifestyle, I am happy being maintained. my body has been used to taking medication for 25 years.

now turning point has taken over the contract from NHS in my area, and they have different policies.
they do not believe in long term maintenance. they want all long term users off the program.
so now I am in panic mode, I am sick with worry my script in going to be suddenly stopped, I will be left feeling ill, this will mean losing my job, my life going downward, I could end up back on the streets scoring again.

so what can I do? does someone have advice?

Surley having been all these years on medication, they can not expect me to stop suddenly?
it is obvious its going to have a drastic effect on my life.

should I go see a solicitor? take legal action? the NHS kept me on this maintenance program years, its not my fault the contract has gone to another organisation, and ther policies are very different

any advice?

keith

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 12:35 am 

Hi Keith and welcome to the forum!

I'm sorry that I don't have any familiarity with the NHS in the UK. A consultation with a lawyer could be of definite value for you. It seems very strange for them to pull a 180 and want everyone to taper off! I'm sorry for your predicament and your struggle. Please let us know what happens or what you find out!

Amy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 4:10 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Hi Keith,
I would be flipping out too, this just sounds outrageous.
Are you certain they have the power to terminate ORT? It seems incredibly irresponsible to just force ppl off.
I would call them to see exactly where you stand with them. I'm not in the UK but agree it's worth investigating your rights. I just find it unbelievable that the choice to continue would no longer be yours.
Please keep us updated,
hoping for the best!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:23 am 

Hey keith welcome!

I have a question, will they just terminate ur script or taper u off? I'd be in a panic but tapering u off will give u time to find another doctor wouldn't it? Are there other places in ur area that u could possibly go to? But if they just stop prescribing it to u, that's just wrong! And yes, I'd hire an attorney or something (not sure on the rules of how that goes though).

I really feel for u, that's our worst nightmare! Ask lots of questions and find out exactly what and how they're planning on doing with the ppl that's been there longer. I'm so sorry this has happened to u.

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 11:36 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

That is so funny!
I was just starting a thread about this very same subject for the US.
These damn rules!
I hear where you are coming from!
All I could tell you is what Amy and Jenn said.
Seek a professional first and see where you stand.
Happy

PostPosted: Sat Sep 12, 2015 1:56 pm 

Hi Keith, Happy to have you here! So sorry that you are going through this! I am in the states and not sure how things go there but is it at all possible to have suboxone prescribed for other reasons such as pain or depression? It is happening more often here now and was wondering if that might be an option for you. I wish I had an answer for you! I know there are others here from the UK, maybe they will be able to help!

PostPosted: Mon Sep 14, 2015 10:56 pm 
Site Admin
Site Admin

So frustrating to deal with such idiots. We have them here too... Tennessee passed laws requiring that medicaid cover only two years of buprenorphine, Michigan medicaid requires a 'taper plan' after two years... and even my home state of Wisconsin has a misguided 'conservative' state lawmaker who is introducing bills to have the State tell doctors who to treat, how to treat, and how long to treat.

So much for favoring 'limited government'!

The Feds in the US get it; they understand that medication assisted treatment saves lives, and at meetings the experts discuss how to KEEP people on buprenorphine.

But the idiots have the buzzwords-- 'replacing one drug for another' or 'stop the diversion of Suboxone', two phrases created for the mentally lazy.

I'd like to say that people need to 'be heard'-- but I fear that in this case, nobody is listening. I would encourage people to do what they can anyway; maybe if enough people speak up, someone will pay attention. You all have representatives at the state and Federal level; send off a letter or make a call when you have a chance. They still will act like idiots, but at least they will be educated idiots.