It is currently Wed Aug 23, 2017 6:12 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey doc, I really hope you see this post. I am currently 27 weeks pregnant, taking 2mg/day of subutex. I spoke to my pediatrician and he said when the baby is born he will administer Methadone to him to help with the withdrawals.

I know this is not right, but I don't know how to explain this to my doctor so that he can make a more informed decision about how to treat my son.

Could you please advise me what to do? Is there any research or articles you could send me to show my pediatrician that treating suboxone withdrawals with methadone is not the right thing to do?

I really hope you see this and can help. I think you are a really great for starting this website and forum for us, it's helped me so much and given me alot more knowledge than I had previously about this medication. Just want to say thank you for that.

I hope he understands
That he can take this life
And hold it by the hand
And he can greet the world
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 1:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hi, I know Im not the sub doc, and you didn't ask for comments from anyone else. But I just wanted to let you know that I am on a pregnancy/parenting forum and within that forum there is a group for moms on sub or dealing with whatever addiction. Seems like whenever anyone of them has their baby, the dr's wean them with methadone. So, it is a common thing to do. Not saying it's right, just letting you know.....depending upon what Dr. J says and if your baby is in withdrawal form the sub you may want to consider it if your baby seems really uncomfortable..... HTH. Good luck and keep us posted.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 3:24 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Ok, Im sorry, correction. It looks likes they were weaning (the stories I read anyway) with morphine.... but the moms were at a much higher dose than you are taking...

I really hope dr. J gives you some good advice.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 9:22 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hey thank you for your reply. Yes I've heard of them weaning off with morphine which I know is still not recommended... but methadone is even worse I think.

I hope he understands
And hold it by the hand
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun May 16, 2010 11:30 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

Your baby may not even go through withdrawel. Go read my post I got on how everything happen. Rachel is having bad and good days. Her dr is great and doesn't want to give her any meds because he doesn't want to put anythign like that back into her system and then have to wean her from it. So she suffers either way. She is five days old today and her days got back starting on day two. Her first sign was high pitch scream, fast heart rate, losse stools, ect... yesterday was the worst I have see her and I feel so bad. I know the dr says i did right and I am not questioning that, just that I feel so bad for her because she is suffering to me or she could be colic. I think it is withdrawel. She cryed for seven hours straigth, but had maybe 20min of sleep at a time during that time. Today she was so good she was a different baby. I wish I would have weaned down to 1mg but couldn't. I did sub two day before surgery and they gave me a morphine pump and percocets. You know I took my last dose, he gave me a scrpit and I filled them but haven't had to use them, I am so pround. I gave them to my mom cause she really needs them. So please, I will keep you informed about how she is doing. She likes dark rooms and likes to rock. She has to be comforted a lot. I spend my whold time holding her so that is just how it is. I know suboxone is right but never again, but I am not having any more kids, so that is a plus. PM me if you have too

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 1:37 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey kris,

Have you thought about getting a sling for your baby so you can hold her and still have a free hand? I used one with my daughter - who was not having NAS but still wanted to be held constantly - and it was great.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2010 7:29 pm 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

I think it is way to soon to even prepare for meds for your baby. I mean it is good to have it on hand just in case. My daughter is on day 5 without subuex . She was cut off when they cut her ourd. I miss her so much and want her home and it is hard for me. Dr said tomrorrow or next day. It is important that i be thter in=i

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 18, 2010 4:12 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I dont think it is too soon. I think its way better to be dealing with this now and for my doctors to be informed and educated long before I go into labor and have the baby. I could theoretically have him pretty early if I go off the sub like I plan to at 34 weeks. I dont want them giving him methadone if this is not a good practice. Subdoc did send me some articles which I am going to bring to my doctor. :)

I hope he understands
And hold it by the hand
With arms wide open...

JJL Due 8.14.10 <3

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2010 1:37 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I agree---I think talking to your doc before birth is the best thing to do in the hopes of avoiding some of the awful situations we've read about recently. The more everyone (you, ob/gyn/, pediatrician, hospital staff) can be on the same page and have a written plan, the better chances that things will run smoothly---hopefully!

I need to find a pediatrician---I'm 23 weeks so I need to get on that task soon---just don't even really know how to go about doing it! And obviously I'll need to find one who is open to working with me as a mom on Sub and who is willing to learn about newborns born to mom's using Sub!

If someone could forward me the articles discussed here, I'd really appreciate it. When I go to 'meet' with my pediatrician I'd love to come armed with some info so that we could have a discussion about how NAS will be treated in the event that my son is born and suffers withdrawals. I'm not sure if that is the kind of stuff that can be sent via PM on this site, or if I need to send someone an email address?