It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:24 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need advice for a newbie
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 2:38 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok, so what exactly is the point of taking this medication if all your doing is replacing on thing for another. Does this medication fix the addiction to opiods, and if it does, how long does it take. Would I be better of fighting the withdrawls from pain pills and then just making my mind up to not touch them again. I just dont understand what the whole point of taking suboxone is for. I understand that it takes care of the withdrawls but then what, I just stay on this stuff forever or what, and then i read all these horrible reviews about people trying to get off subs. I am about a week into taking subs, but if this is just a trade off then i am not interested. I need to quit all together, not just switch to something else. Please help with any advice, just very confused as to what the whole purpose of making a drug like this. any advice is much appreciated.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 3:11 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey MP,

Your concerns are completely valid. I will give you some answers based on my own experience if you would like, but remember it's only my opinion.

Suboxone is an opiate. So yes, you are still on a substance that you are going to be dependant on. The point of suboxone is to make you comfortable while you deal with the mental addiction and the roller coaster that is created by your addiction to pills. It gives you some stability so that you can think clearly and have some time to work on a recovery program and put in place some safe guards against going back to using. Some people choose to stay on it for life, and that is great for those who have tried to quit and can't stay away from using. You mentioned that you have been an addict for 20 years. Of course it would be better to quit the pills and go through the detox on your own and then stay away from using for the rest of your life. But after 20 years of trying don't you think you would have done it by now if you could have?

Yes, there are alot of horror stories about suboxone. You are going to become dependent on it if you stay on it very long. But the difference between quitting pills and quitting subs is that it is actually possible to taper with very little discomfort if you do it properly. If you know going into it that you don't want to be on it for life, then I would recommend staying in treatment for about a year only. It seems that most people can come off within that amount of time without too much difficulty. I started on suboxone in March of 2012, and I am within a month of being off. Beginning with 8mg per day and now I'm down to .37 1/2 mg. My taper has been pretty easy. Yes, there have been times when it was hard, but not impossible. I can't tell you how many times I tried to quit taking the pills. I couldn't do it. I came very close to losing my marriage, and drove us into bankruptcy with my spending on pills. I very nearly lost my health, but it wasn't enough to stop me. I know for a fact that I would be alone with nothing right now if I hadn't gotten on suboxone. I'm not saying it's a perfect drug. And I'm not saying that I did everything textbook perfect while I was in treatment. But at some point in the past year I was able to realize that I wanted to be sober, and if this is what it takes to get there then I will do it.

No, suboxone is not going to fix your addiction. But it will give you a fighting chance to get into a recovery program of some kind and learn how to stay sober. You will always be an addict, nothing will ever be able to make that go away. It sucks, but that's how it is. Getting sober and staying sober isn't easy no matter which way you do it. I would recommend finding a doctor that will answer these questions for you honestly and getting into an AA/NA group. Or you can find an addiction counselor who is familiar with suboxone treatment and have them help you make this decision.

There are some videos available that one of our moderators, Amber, posts often. One of them is called something like "trading one addiction for another?". Maybe she will see this post and paste a link in here for you. I would encourage you to get some accurate information before you bail on the treatment. You are on it now and staying on it for awhile isn't going to hurt you. It would be far worse for you to go back to using after having only been in treatment for a very short time. You might burn the bridge with your doctor and not get accepted back into his program. Check out Dr. J's blog, there is a link to it somewhere on the first page of the forum. There is some great information there. And you can check YouTube for the video's that he has posted, I think the one I mentioned is there somewhere.

Whichever way you decide to deal with your addiction is great. I just hate to see someone scared away from a possible life saving drug because of a few bad reviews from people who's motives might be a bit questionable. Educate yourself k?

All the best,

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2013 7:45 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I have never read so many bad things about one single drug in my life. But unless this so called wonder drug rewires my brain to not mess with opiates again then its not worth it to me. I can deal with the withdrawal symptoms. I am not going to let this drug ruin my life like it has almost everyone on hear talks about. I'm sorry but are reading the same forum I am. And have you read others. Legal drug dealers and kickbacks praying on addicts. I feel sorry for them. Time to man up. Not switch addictions. Take care and good luck to you all.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:12 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

mastapatches wrote:
I have never read so many bad things about one single drug in my life.

I can deal with the withdrawal symptoms.

I am not going to let this drug ruin my life like it has almost everyone on hear talks about. I'm sorry but are reading the same forum I am. And have you read others. Legal drug dealers and kickbacks praying on addicts. I feel sorry for them.

Time to man up. Not switch addictions. Take care and good luck to you all.

1) okay, so apparently suboxone is the ONLY drug you've researched, then?? because,,, well ANY drug you look up,, you can find "lots of bad things" just for the record....

2) okay, DEAL with the withdrawl then, and you probably don't need suboxone

3) ummm who exactly are YOU talking about??? I don't read about anyone's Life ruined from suboxone,, maybe from their drug of choice, BEFORE suboxone.... Hmmmmm

4.) Okay!!! Go for it man!!! good luck to YOU!!!!

I know,, I sure could NOT take ONE MORE dopesick day... call me weak, call me,,, OH YEAH,, AN ADDICT!!!!!!!

so, yes,,, I did jump on the suboxone "bandwagon" but I didn't know much about it at all.... I'm sure your not even reading this anyways.

oh well, here's some real good words for people who ARE interested, in making their lives better, in case anyone out there is reading.... this IS a supportive place,,, whether you LIKE SUBOXONE OR HATE It,,, we'll try and SUPPORT you, as long as you're respectful......
doesn't make much sense, for the first post to be all,,,,, "on the fence" and the second one to be all.... " I hate suboxone"

have a GREAT DAY :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VE0FLHpru8U[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 12:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Ls1F6vNhYw[/youtube]

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 8:36 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Amber,

Thanks for posting those links. Even if the OP isn't reading anymore I'm sure it will help someone else!

Just for the record...

OP said "unless this so called wonder drug rewires my brain and makes me not want to mess with opiates again, then it is not worth it to me."
Sorry MP, there is no such thing. There is no easy fix for addiction...period. Any way you deal with it, it's going to be tough. YOU have to put in the work to gain sobriety.

If you have been an addict for 20 years and somehow think "this time will be different", I'm afraid you will be right back where you started before long. Even though I am currently dependent on suboxone, I would do it again in a heartbeat before I would go back to active addiction. Everyone knows the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result. Suboxone is what you make of it. Long term maintenance or shorter term treatment with the goal of abstinence...if you put in the work it can CHANGE YOUR LIFE!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2013 2:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I would just like to chime in and say that suboxone is also a good alternative for people with chronic pain. My back pain is never going to go away. If anything, it's just going to get worse over time. Surgery is not an option either. Without pain medication, I can't function like a normal person. I wouldn't be able to work, and I can't afford to quit my job. Oxycodone worked well for my pain, but I couldn't control my use. I also couldn't control my tolerance. So for someone like me, who needs long term pain management, suboxone is a good option, I think. Does it have side effects? Of course. Most medications do. Would I rather be medication free? Of course. But that isn't an option for me, so I am very happy to have suboxone, side effects and all, so I can continue to lead a productive life.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I agree with qhorsegal2 on this one. If you have a bad uncontrollable full agonist opiate addiction and getting supplied from the street or irresponsibly from your doctor, Suboxone is a helpful way to stabilize your addiction to get your life together. Before I switched to Suboxone, I was blowing all my money on Oxy and H and my addiction was taking control of my life. Even though taking Suboxone is technically switching an addiction, it has helped me stabilize my mental and physical addiction to opiates which has allowed me to regain control of my life, which has been extremely helpful!

I have been on Suboxone for over three years now because my doctors have always told me that it's fine to remain on Suboxone for a life time. I believed that for the first two years, but that had to change. Last year I finally decided that my life was stable enough and I completely removed myself from all my past connections and relations, that I could finally taper off Suboxone.

If I did this over again, I would set a goal to be off Suboxone within 1 year and take no more than 8mg/day. Granted, if you still need to get your life in check, being on it for longer isn't bad, as long as you set yourself a goal to get off. Plus my doctor prescribed me 16mgs/day in the beginning and I feel like that was too much, but I didn't know any better. I would start at 8mg if needed and then get down to 4mg as quick as possible. From there, get down to 2mg and remain there to stabilize your body. I still think 2mg is a good maintenance amount and will do the job for most people. Once you get to 2mg, a slow gradual taper is essential to get off with minimal withdrawals. I drop my dose by .063mg every week as instructed on the Rx Film Cutting Guide website and that has helped me gradually reduce my doses without experiencing withdrawals.

If you use Suboxone to get off full strength opiates, it can be a life saver. Set your self a goal to get off Suboxone within a year and never go too high with your doses. This will help reduce any future withdrawals and help you succeed in getting yourself sober from opiates.

This is my opinion and hope my advice helps you out.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2013 10:18 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I was like you for a long time, I didn't want to be stuck on another drug. But after many relapses I gave it a shot and it's been completely worth it. It wasn't the getting clean that was a problem for me, it was STAYING clean. Give it a shot without it, and if it works, great. If not, I'd suggest you give it a try because it's given me a chance to totally change my lifestyle, which is what I really needed.