It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 2:31 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Need Advice For A Newbie
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 3:20 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Ok so i went last week to the doctor to finally get a handle on this pain pill addiction I have been struggling with for almost 20 years. Doctor was great and I felt like he really wants to help me. He put me on the 8mg sublingual strips. I took half of one the first day in front of the doctor to make sure I was taking it correctly and to see how it affected me. I left the office about a half hour after I took it and headed home, the whole ride home I kept thinking to myself how much better I felt and thank goodness I had finally found something that was going to work. I sat down and had a great conversation with my wife, who btw is incredibly supportive. I expressed my feelings of how I think this is really going to work. Since the first day though it seems I may be doing something wrong. I decided I would cut the strips into 1/8 pieces and take them as I needed them to get through. Now when I take these little pieces it seem I go through the same process of only feeling good for just a short time, followed by some nausea, sweating, wanting to sleep but cant. And if i smoke a cigarette on them i almost puke at times and have to shake my head to keep awake. I am not getting that same feeling as I did when I first took the half. See in my mind im thinking that if i only take a little the negative affects wont be so bad. Am i supposed to be taking more to make sure i am getting enough in my system to take care of the withdrawels. I am so confused. Trying to got to bed at night just sucks, I lay there, tired as hell, starting to close my eyes, and then I get this rush over me that scares the crap outta me. I fear that if I go to sleep I am going to die in my sleep. I need someone to kinda help walk me through this, I just took a half about ten minutes ago to see if I get the same affect I got the first day, but I am so scared that the negative stuff I have been feeling is going to be much worse. Also, i have had to take bc powders a couple of times because of a headache i can only imagine coming from the sub. I didnt get a headache the first day. Please, anyone who knows more about what the hell I am doing and the proper way to do this. I want this to work, I dont want to go back to pills, I just want to feel better. I just want to enjoy a good nights sleep. i want to know that everything is going to be ok.
Thank you so much

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:32 am 
One Month or More
One Month or More

It's really great to hear you made the decision to start your induction on subs after 20 years of battling this insane addiction.I am hopefully going to start my induction tommorrow,now that i am almost out of my H and i am not taking any money out of the bank like i usually do about this time.I'm making sure i don't even go out today.There are some great people on here that really care and will help you to the fullest extent that they can.People really care on this forum.There are people that identify with the problems you are having,just keep returning to the site and check your post,the help is here.Good luck.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:19 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I'm not a medical professional, but if I had to guess, I'd say you aren't getting enough in your system at one time, to saturate the pain receptors in your brain. It's quite possible, you might need to take 1/2 in the morning, and half around 4pm or so...that way you should be able to still get some sleep and not wake up in withdrawals as well...

That's just my guess, and that's all it is...but from what you've said here, sounds like you're going into opiate withdrawals because there's not enough suboxone to do what it's supposed to do.

RIP little brother. Gone, but not forgotten.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject: mastapatches
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:48 am 
Super Poster
Super Poster

When you went to you sub doc to be inducted did They not explain how to take the suboxone correctly? Did they just write you a script and send you on your way after you took the half or 4mg of a strip? If your doctor did not explain how the medicine works and tell you the amount you need to take etc. etc. then I would seriously consider finding a new sub doctor. If they are not willing to take the time to inform you properly from the beginning then they sure are not going to be willing to help you if you decide to taper eventually or if you ever have any other issues during your treatment. I have been in sub therapy for three years now and trust me, issues do arise throughout treatment and you will need a doctor who is competent and educated in order to get through this and be successful. Now to answer your question....

You have to get stabalized on your dosage. If you felt comfortable with only half a 8mg strip or pill, which is 4mg then you should stick to that amount for at least three weeks in order to get stabalized on that dosage. Once your body adjusts to the medication the sleepiness, and other un-wanted side effects will go away. Thats how it works. You cannot play around with your dosage at the starting point. You have to get stabalized first. Go back to the 4mg and take that amount everyday once a day at the same time each day for three weeks. If you notice that the 4mg is not covering all of your withdrawals then you will need to increase your dosage. You will have side effects when you first start your subs. Usually they are sleepiness, sometimes sudden sleepiness, increased energy level, so you may have some trouble sleeping the first couple of nights and that is normal. Do not be afraid to go to sleep though. If you took pain pills for twenty years then you have built up a good tolerance to opiates so you are not going to overdose on 4mg of suboxone. Like I said, just give your body some time to adjust to your dosage the side effects will go away and then it should be smooth sailing. You will take your dosage each day and not really notice you even took anything other than the fact you won't be in withdrawals which is exactly the point of suboxone. PM me if you need me to explain more, or if you have any questions about anything. I will be happy to help you any way that I can.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:05 pm 

One reason to take your sub dose only one or two times a day is that it moves you away from addictive behaviors like obsessing over your next dose. When I first went on sub, my doctor told me that if he could get me to take the sub while I was asleep at 3 am he would! Lol! Constantly thinking about how you're feeling, when you will dose next, how that dose made you feel, etc. is addict stuff. Ideally, you could take your dose once a day and fagettaboutit!

Welcome to the forum, mastapatches!

Amy

PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:26 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

thank you guys so much for the advice, my fear has subsided considerably. I woke up and took the amount I was supposed to and have felt great all day, no nausea, no headaches, no withdrawls. It feels so good to know there is a place like this online where I am not alone, and so many people here are so willing to help people that are looking to change their life for the better. I wish I could give you all a hug.

p.s.
I am on the strips, should i spit if i have to or swallow, or does it matter. I spit today, and my stomach hasnt been messed up at all. I have previously swallowed, and I have had nausea. Maybe my stomach is ok because I am taking what im supposed to be taking. Just curious. thanks again, you people are awesome.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 10:38 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

i wish my wife would ask me that question.. lol jkjk

i am no medical advisor what so ever but i would be willing to bet that the nasuea was from not getting enough medication.
i say do what ever your comfortable with, i always tried my best not to do either for at least ten minutes after that dose dissolved, but its whatever you are comfortable with

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jun 04, 2013 11:14 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hey Mastapatches,

First of all, welcome to the forum! I agree with the advice you have already been given. You asked about whether to spit or swallow your dose? (BTW Rob, I don't think you were kidding with your comment...you can't back up from that one!) To get the maximum absorption from your dose you should keep it under your tongue, or between your cheek or wherever you want to place it. But the important part is to keep from swallowing for at least 10-15 min. It's uncomfortable to hold all that crap in your mouth for so long at first, but you'll get used to it. In theory it shouldn't matter too much what you do with that extra spit after it has been absorbed. I have heard people mention that they think the naloxone in the suboxone gives them headaches or makes them nauseous...but really that's probably pretty rare. More than likely it's just your body getting used to the buprenorphine. It takes a little time, but it will happen soon and you will feel better! Above all, don't let these weird side effects scare you. None of them last long, and none of them are life threatening. You can look around the side effects forum and see some things others have dealt with, maybe that will alleviate some of your fears.

It's so great that you have taken the first step to sobriety. It all gets better from here!

Q

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2013 7:01 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

You definitely need to stay on the dose that you did the first day since that seemed to work for you. I take 2mg pieces throughout the day if I need them however being that I have been on it for almost 2 years now, I am forgetting to take certain doses. I am supposed to be on 8mg and yesterday I took 6mg, the day before was about the same. I don't see any problems thus far. You want to stabilize a dose and let your body get used to that. Now, my doctor has told me that he didn't really care if I took it all at once or throughout the day like I was doing. He said that his patients all do it differently and it works for them however they do it. It might curb some of the addictive behaviors but I tell you after being on it for 2 years come July, those seem to have went away for me. I take a dose in the morning, one around 6 in the evening and maybe one around 10 IF need be. Sometimes though, I have to take a small 1mg dose for analgesic effects because apparently my back hates me these days.
I have never had real weird side effects other than increased libido which my husband really likes, and I have some swelling in my legs. Go back to taking it the way that you did the first day and see if that works better. If your doctor just handed you a script and you walked out without any information like my first doctor, find someone else. She was there for nothing but the money, you walked in and was out within 2 minutes. I tried to make her sit there a little longer but she was rushing you out the door, you could tell that. My new doctor, it takes a bit longer to get in and out because he will listen to you. It might be a longer wait but it is worth it.
Hope all of this works out smoothly. It is hard in the beginning, always worried about this and that. Get the dosing straightened out and stop the worrying. Live life the way that it is meant to be, you will see that it will all fall into place like it should.