It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 4:18 pm 
Hello everyone I need some advice and to know what rights me an my baby have. I am in the hospital after delivering my baby boy by c section two days ago. They have been watching him because I was on 3mg or subutex with te impression my baby would not go through withdraw. The nurses have been scoring him based on the neonatal absteince system and today he got scores of 11 11 and 12 over about five hours. I believe the scores aret accurate because he was scored 2 points for excessive crying and he was with me from 9am till 1pm and barly cried at all, maybe twice when I was changing his diaper and it wasn't a death hurling cry it was like a newborn baby crying. They also scored him 2 points for loose stools but they just changed his formula from similac to similac sensitive so couldn't that effect it as well? I just feel like they are looking for a reason to keep him and that I am being judged. If my baby needs the treatment I want him to get it but I honestly believe he doesn't. He is easily consulable and doesn't exhibit the same things to me that the nurses are picking up. I hope I'm not being naive but I just feel like if they give him medicine that he has to detox from for 4-6 weeks, that the Drs are jumping the gun. What rights do I have to get a second opinion? They said they are monitoring him in the NiCU for the next hour or so and If he scores high they are going Tk start him on the medicine. Am I supposed to give consent? Or so they just do what they think is best? Please someone who has been in a situation like this before help! The dr said if he starts the medicine he will be here for 4-6 weeks :( sorry for the spelling mistakes, I'm on my phone and am trying to get answers before they do anything. Thanks for help and advice!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Sep 04, 2011 7:13 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Holy crap, are you serious?! 4-6 weeks?!

I had a baby on 3 mg Subutex just like you, but nothing happened to me/her and I don't know why. My doc knew and I was open with the NICU. They never talked about even being that worried. She acted no different than my other two kids had acted. Now, she is 3 and she is still 100% fine, just to make you feel better.

I think you are right on for being suspicious, because newborns cry when being changed and they all have loose stools. Newborn poop is loose!! Why do they have to keep your baby so long if they start the meds? My advice to you is to keep your head up and feel no shame. Ask the doctors these questions and demand answers. You deserve answers and I would absolutely worry that they would start the meds too early and based on insufficient information. Is his blood pressure high? What are the other signs they are looking at? Can you call your pediatrician?

You've been up front and honest and that should be rewarded, not criticized. Please update when you can. I hope this works itself out and I'm so sorry that you're going through this.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:01 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Wow, I am so sorry. When was your son born? Now I am not 100% certain but I don't think that withdrawl symptoms typically show until 2-4 days after birth. I would demand that they wait and threaten to call my lawyer. Even if you don't really have one or can't afford it. They don't know that. I had twins and they were in the nicu and I had to give consent for all the procedures and meds. I do not know if it is different if drugs are involved but I would think you have rights, its not like you are on an illegal drug. You were legally taking a prescribed medication with the consent of your OB, do not be ashamed and do not let them scare you into staying silent. I would demand a second opinion and not someone they send. Can u ask your sub doc if he knows of a doctor you can call. Even if not maybe he has had another patient in this situation and can give you advice. I do not see how a hospital could start a treatment that would keep you baby there for 4-6 weeks without your consent, unless it was something life threatening. I am so sorry judgemental assholes are putting you thru this on what should be a joyous time. Please keep us posted, I will be praying for you and your son.