It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 3:48 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi everyone. I'm new on here and have read a lot of your posts about taking Suboxone. I really want to start it, but I'm very scared. I have been prescribed Vicodin 10-660 in January 2009 for chronic back pain and still receive it today. The thing is, it's not about making my back feel better anymore, Its about not getting sick. I have been dependent on these for so long (up to 6-8 pills a day) that it scares me to stop. I'm so tired of fear of running out before my next fill and going through those wicked withdrawals. It really wanna do this but from what I read, you have to be in withdrawal for it to work. I'm sure it's worth it, but I'm afraid to let myself withdrawal on Monday, I'm able to start a group program on Tuesday. I'm also excited about doing this, my feelings are very mixed. These past 3 years, no one in my family never knew about the Vicodin, including my long term boyfriend who I have two children with. I'm hoping it's possible to do this without them knowing as well so I can just get back to normal life again. If anyone can just let me know what to expect my first day in the program, is it expensive without med insurance? Or any advice you have for me would be helpful because I'm doing all this myself, I'm in it alone. I just need to fix this dumb mistake I made by letting myself get addicted to these at almost 40yrs old. I walk around the house with guilt everyday now and just want this madness of my life revolving around pills to stop. Thanks for your time and letting me vent. This forum is very helpful

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 4:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I did the same med you were on and you don't need to be scared of the withdrawals that you have to be in to get on Suboxone. My doctor told me just make sure I take my last pill at least 12 hours before my induction. I was scared so I waited even longer. I took my last vicodin 17 hours before I tood sub. I was in mild to moderate withdrawal, but I've been in much worse withdrawal in the past when I ran out of my pills.

You could easily say you feel like you are coming down with a cold or something if you don't want anyone to know...because it wasn't horribly awful, just uncomfortable for the last few hours. I did cut down my dose the couple days before. I took about 50mg hydrocodone on Thursday, 25mg hydrocodone on Friday, and started sub on Saturday. For those couple days I had the usual diarrhea, chills, and lethargy, and then a few hours before my appt I started getting nausea and the skin crawlies. But like I said, it wasn't too bad...and the fact of knowing that relief was on it's way within minutes of taking the Suboxone really helped.

I felt better within 10 minutes of putting it under my tongue. Perfectly normal within 20 minutes...no more withdrawals at all!

You can print out the $50 off card from the Suboxone website. I don't have insurance at all, and my doctor visits are $100/month and the films cost me $6.65 each (after taxes and using the $50 card). So I pay about $280/month altogether for 30 films and Dr visit.

Hope everything goes well for you. It will be such a relief to not feel the guilt and not have to worry about running out of pills anymore. I was scared, but wished I had done it sooner, because after I started I realized I didn't need to be scared at all!