Our Sponsors

Post subject: Ned to talk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 4:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

New here, need help

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 5:35 pm 
Welcome Queenie! What can we do to help? Just tell us a little bit about yourself and/or your situation and ask whatever you'd like. I'm sure you'll get several of us to respond.

Post subject: Re: Need to talk
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

queenie1959 wrote:
New here, need help
Where do I go to find you.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 6:30 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi queenie - welcome. You can say or ask just about anything here and we'll do our very best to support, help, and/or guide you...and of course we'll also just listen. I'll be looking for your next post.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

setmefree wrote:
Welcome Queenie! What can we do to help? Just tell us a little bit about yourself and/or your situation and ask whatever you'd like. I'm sure you'll get several of us to respond.
:cry: I think I found the right place./ My dr. prescribed subox about 1 yr ago. 8 mg 2x a day. I can't seem to feel right. sometimes I take a little extra. Then I'm in trouble at the end of the month. Then I get so sick. Why can't I do this right. I have a lot to tell.

Post subject: Welcome!
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 7:49 pm 
Hi Queenie!

Welcome to the forum!

This is a great place to find support. I would love to hear more of your story. I have been on sub for 4 months and I feel great! I take 8mg once in the morning. I have virtually no cravings and I feel better than I have felt in years.

Are you taking suboxone for pain management or for opiate addiction? Are you going to AA/NA or counseling and/or do you have other support in your life?'

It would be easier to help you out if you told us more about yourself. I know its wierd....putting it all out there on a random message board, but honestly, this is a great place. There are really smart people on here that have alot of knowledge about this medication. I am NOT a doctor but.....Suboxone has a "celing effect," so often if people are taking more than needed, they feel worse. So maybe your dose is too high? Have you told your doctor how you are feeling? Often times it takes a while to find the right dose....but a year seems like a long time. Is this a new feeling or have you always felt this way on suboxone?

Like I said queenie, people on here give awesome support!!! Hatmaker is great, she replied to you already. You could even PM her or me if you needed to.

Take care of yourself, and post again! I will be looking for ya! Kire

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:47 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

Hey there! I second everything Kire asked! Please tell us everything! Let it all out right here!

Many of us have been through what you are going through as well. The only thing I can say without really getting into what is going on with you, without really knowing is that the ceiling dose of Suboxone is 4mgs. So the more you take over that dosage you aren't going to feel it, so i'ts a waste to take more than prescribed because of that. You won't feel it. Sounds like maybe you are dosing b/c of the addict in you? Wanting to feel that high? I have totally been there. PM me if you want. Hang in there!

Of course there's such a thing as angels. Only sometimes they don't have wings... and we call them mothers. -Unknown

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 8:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Queenie,

You are not alone. This is not the first time we have heard this and most of us have done it at least a few times. You are among friends here and no one will judge you for this. I did it over and over and over for a long time and now I take my dose like it is prescribed (not that I don't screw up now and again) but there is a resolution to your problem.

Most of us get on sub and are very focused on how we feel. We have it burnt into our minds that more is better and we will just feel better if we take one more. We think natural feelings are the beginning of withdrawal. We take a pill for everything. Learning to dose only once per day was a huge part of changing this for myself. Maybe if you share what is happening when you are taking more and how muchh more you are taking, etc. then people can help you better.

You aren't alone. You aren't beyond help. You are just like the rest of us. I am sure.

Cherie

- Winston Churchill

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2010 9:29 pm 
Hi again Queenie. Yes you are in the right place. Feel free to post as little or as much about yourself and your history as you feel comfortable with. The more information we have about your prior drug history, your Suboxone history and problems, etc you are having, the more we'll be able to offer advice (not medical advice, just advice from fellow opiate abusers/addicts who struggle just like you do.)
You say you've been on 16mg/day of Suboxone for about one year, but you don't seem to "feel right" so sometimes you take a little more which runs you short at the end of the month, correct? Well, as RLTmom said, many of us have been exactly where you are, so we understand how hard it can be. Others here have told you a little about the ceiling effect of buprenorphine (the active ingredient in Suboxone) and that is true. It is unlike other opiates in that taking more does not necessarily provide any further effect, especially if you are above that ceiling dose already, which you definitely should be at 16mg/day. Most people find that ceiling dose to be somewhere between 4-8mg/day. The other thing is that not only does taking more not make us feel any better, it often times makes us actually feel worse. This drug has plenty of science behind it in how and why it works, but the fact remains that everyone is different and for some people as little as 2mg/day keeps them stable and comfortable, whereas others (especially those who are using it for pain management) need 16mg/day and sometimes even more than that. All I'm saying is that while the drug acts the same way scientifically, all of us on it may have varying experiences with it, especially in terms of dosing issues.
As far as your situation, it seems that you're having a problem sticking to the dose your doctor has prescribed for you. And that is a problem, in my opinion, in and of itself. As addicts, we seem to have a hard time turning over our healthcare, especially our drugs, over to our doctors! That can actually be a very big first step in getting better.....just letting go of controlling that and doing exactly what our doctors tell us to do. I know it's got to suck running out early and feeling sick while waiting for your next prescription. Have you thought about why you might be taking those extra doses? Is it because something is 'triggering' you, leading you to want to dose, to feel better? If so, those things will need to be addressed, then maybe you work on the behavior. What Dr. Junig says (and I firmly believe) is that if we have a feeling that we need to dose, whether it's a slight symptom of w/d or a craving, if we'll just wait a minute and distract ourselves, rather taking another dose, the feeling will pass just as quickly. Maybe just knowing that will help you some. The other thing is to realize that maybe the reason you're not feeling too good is because you are, in fact, taking more Suboxone than you need. If that's the case, you'll quickly be able to figure it out if you can just stick to your prescribed dose for several days or a week and then see if you feel better.
Another thing to keep in mind is that this whole 'recovery' thing has a lot more to it than just taking this medication every day. We have to work on so many thing in our lives to get have a shot at getting better. Sometimes that is not easy work. Sometimes we need a therapist or a group, or sometimes even more intervention, especially if there are other issues underlying your addiction.
I know I've said a lot. I don't know if any of it has helped. But really, if you're up to it, tell us more about specifically what types of problems you are running into and how we can help you through it. There are a lot of people here who would love to help.
Also Hatmaker hosts meetings on Monday nights and is having one this very evening at 9pm (what luck!) Perhaps you can join in. Just log in and go to the area at the bottom of the home page and click on there where it says 'chat' and you can meet some others and talk about what is going on. Good luck to you. Feel free to PM me as well. I'll try to help in any way I can.