It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:52 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: neck tumor removal
PostPosted: Wed May 04, 2011 4:15 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I just found this site and am loving it! the 27th will be 1 year I have been on Suboxone for opiate addiction.. I am having a golf ball sized tumor removed from my neck (below my ear) next Friday and I am freaked out! I had my 4 pre op appointments last week and met with Pain Mgmt. as well as anesthesia. I explained I was on Suboxone and they acutally knew what I was talking about. This is Tufts in Boston and I was told they see this more often than I would think.

I have decided to NOT go off the subs and suck it up. I am scared to death! I realized I was looking too forward to the buzz and I really want to stay on track. I am trying to do the right thing but don't want to be a hero either.

I am having a Schwannoma tumor removed. It is a tumor that grows on the nerve sheath (nerve casing). I am starting on nerve pain meds (non narcotic) a week prior to surgery to get a jump on the nerve pain.

Any thoughts/suggestions?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu May 05, 2011 9:33 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Kim1 - I can't speack to the pain associated with your procedure, but, as I mention in a post below, Last July I had my right Anteriour Cruciate Ligament reconstructed along with some microfissure, and general meniscus cleanup. Six weeks crutches. Had done beofre with the left knee and know what I was up agains.

This time I decide to only marginally reduce the sub to about 2mg/day. So I was toally relaxed going to the center. They applied a nerve block to the thigh, knocked me out, and did their thing. Not so bad at all post-op. Everything was able to be rcontroled with ice and elevation and ibuprofen. I'm sure your cituation will differ, but I bet you will do great.