It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 10:40 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Neccesity for Suboxone
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:30 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

This is all very new to me so hope someone can offer some information and advice, or directions to other threads.

I'm confused as to whether Suboxone is really right for my particular situation. I have been using 3 - 5g paracetamol/1200 - 2000 mg ibuprofen (both with codeine) at one time ... varying doses over 4 months. I even strayed into the land of CWE's in order to filter out the codeine (6 or so weeks ago) but that was way too much chemistry for me so I rebounded back to the straight use of pills - which I do now understand is actually far more dangerous. Over the past fortnight I have got the usage down significantly (only used 5 out of 15 days) and have dropped to 6 ibuprofens (1200mg) and 5/6 para/codeines (3g/50-60)

I think I have it in me to stop the day to day usage. It's the occasional uses I'm now concerned about, any of which could actually be fatal I've now become aware. They're the ones I'm worried about. And of course relapsing back into daily use. It's easy to forget once you start feeling better.

Is Suboxone used as a kind of 'circuit breaker'? Will it keep me from relapsing into the painkillers till I have some distance from them? Is this the idea? I guess I've only heard of suboxone use for ppl using heroin/morphine, and wondering if my use qualifies?

Many thanks for any help that you can offer.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 1:52 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

HI
again!!
I actually answered, your other post, so SOME of the questions you asked, might be answered here
http://suboxforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=7707&highlight=

Now, the question of whether or not you "qualify"
really, YOU are the ONLY one that can answer that.................I think you should take a few mins and look at the video
I posted on the other thread, maybe go to the link I gave, for the REST of the videos, too.

If you do indeed start suboxone therapy,,, you will be dependant on it, It stacks in your system ,, in a way, and has a long half life meaning, it takes up to three days for w/d to even START.
now we've had ALOT of people taper off sucessfully, and the w/ds weren't too bad.
Some people have a terrible time, though............and there's really NO way of knowing, until your fighting the war, so to say.

One thing common with opiate addicts, is they do in fact relapse after long periods of sobriety, which can REALLY
up the chances of death as a result.
so as you MAY already know,, (or not) suboxone, has Naloxone in it, or a Blocker,
so if you DO relapse, the chance of death is much much lower.
BUT
on the flip side, if some kind of accident happens, say emergency surgery, well your in for some PROBLEMS with pain control
I,,,,,
got dentures, while on suboxone,,, had teeth pulled that were completely broken at my gumline,, ALL my teeth, except 4 came out in only two short sessions. What Im getting at, is I made it thru it, on motrin, tylenol, and suboxone.

So,,,
there you have it,,
you've got A LOT of thinking, and research to do.
nobody else is going to be able to tell you if suboxone is right for you.
so good luck with everything, no matter WHAT decision you make..............either way, we are here for YOU
and don't hesitate to "reach out"
for help. :wink:
almost every single one of us, has been on the "fence" before starting............................me I KNEW I had to try something
else,, frankly, I tried the twelve step thing, and ALLL kinds of other crap,, BEFORE suboxone,
and I never made it longer than a few days,
you know, Until I came up with $$$ again,
then it was ALL OVER.
It's been a literal life-saver for ME..............
But again, that's YOUR own decision to make............

GOOD LUCK
let us know how you are doing :wink: :wink: :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 12:31 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Amber has given you great information! She's right that the choice to go on Suboxone is your choice. I just wanted you to know that Sub's are most definitely prescribed for opioid pain pill addiction whether it be codeine, morphine, hydromorphine etc etc.

Suboxone will most definately give you the time needed to distance yourself from pain pills as you said, when taken as directed. For many of us the cons of using Sub's are far superior to the cons of using our DOC.

Best of luck to you!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:48 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks Amber and Tami for your replies

Lots of good information there which I'll start having a look through today, including the videos. I really appreciate your feedback.

Having thought on things a bit longer, I guess what I was getting at is whether my particular usage seems constant enough, or serious enough, to warrant going on something as serious as Suboxone? It seems a huge leap to take, and I worry about its toxicity (on an already struggling liver), the shame and stigma of telling both my husband, and my Doctor, through to picking it up at my local chemist. Perhaps I'm wondering if I can go it alone ...

I am quite familiar with what one needs to do to get into and most importantly, stay in, recovery at this stage. But this particular habit is so easy to keep under the radar that it worries me. I can see myself using again and that frightens me. Today is day 3 for me without.

I have never before felt so totally worried for my life like I have been with use of these painkillers. Has anyone else felt this way with painkiller use? The downsides of opiates outweigh the good in my book - I hate that there seems no consistency, no predictability, with this opiate - one usage is mellow, another is terrible, headachey, nauseous. With alcohol and dope there was a knowable path, and although I very frequently felt awful towards the end, I more or less knew the trajectory and the outcome.

So I know I need to implement a program of recovery but unsure whether Suboxone needs to be part of that at this stage. Cannot use 12 Steps, have tried and tried with that one before. It's just not for me.

Can you offer any feedback as to whether my usage seems high compared to others? Are there people in a similar position as this. I'm assuming there is and hope to find threads from them too.

Once again, thanks.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2012 9:54 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Also, I'm not in the US so not sure how this plays out w/respect to being prescribed Sub.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2012 3:05 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

SiennaMoon wrote:
the shame and stigma of telling both my husband, and my Doctor, through to picking it up at my local chemist. Perhaps I'm wondering if I can go it alone ...

But this particular habit is so easy to keep under the radar that it worries me. I can see myself using again and that frightens me. Today is day 3 for me without.

Hello again.......
so these two blurps YOU wrote,,,,,,
are enough to tell ME,, that yes, this is a serious problem.............

and honestly, it doesnt REALLY matter HOW much you were taking, how you were taking it or even WHAT,,,,,,,,

the thing is,,
ADDICTION IS A PROGRESSIVE DISEASE
which you probably already know, but OPIATE ADDICTION,, too very often, ends in death.

you stayed clean over two years, and that's great,,,,,
but with the opiates,,, its like this ENTIRELY different monster inside us.....
waiting ever-so-patiently for you to feel weak and give in to it.....
and SOMETIMES,,
the time you give in, can kill you.

Im NOT trying to scare you,, but if you put this "priority" on pills/opiates/whatever drug,,, then I'd say your "habit"
is definitely serious enough.
the only question is,,
Is it WHAT you want?

and NO, you CANT do it alone, there's NO WAY you can do it, without anyone knowing.
AT LEAST IN MY OPINION!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

even ON suboxone, and WITH support/people on your side ,, it's still a daily struggle.....

plus,,,, "us addicts" if we don't tell anyone, then there's no responsibility for you to "keep it up"

for me, everytime I tried quitting before, I didn't tell anyone, and it NEVER worked.....

i guess everybody's different though. and honestly you'd be surprised, WHICH people in your life,
will absolutely JUMP at the chance to help you.

it's a deadly disease,,,,
definitely.... and our "relapse rate" as opiate addicts, is above like 90%,,,, I read that someplace,,
might have been here, LOL

I hope that helps,,
YOU REALLY do have to make the decision yourself,,,,
there's lots of introduction posts, where people say how much of whatever they were on, before they started
suboxone, but I don't think that's nearly as important, as how much opiates play a role in your life,
I mean let's say you ONLY take them once a week,
but all week long, you look forward to it, and it's the ONLY thing you think about,,,, and then you get totally WASTED....
OK, this is progressive -----
Its ONLY going to get worse!!!!

am I making any sense????

Well,,, look over all that info,,
and see what you can come up with.
anything else, just ask. :wink:

That's TRUE STRENGTH
http://almostoneyearclean.blogspot.com/