It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 6:51 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:35 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

[font=Arial] [/font]
My son is on day 11 of wd and is unable to eat anything without vomiting. Does anything help? He went from 8mg to 0 in one week because the job he is applying for tests for opiates. How much longer do the physical effects last?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:53 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hello,

That's a big jump. 11 days in is a lot of progress though but must suck for him! I think he should be getting better from here. It's impossible to give a time limit though. There is a member here named Romeo. He stopped from around 8mg & I think he said the peak of his withdrawal was day 9 and the acute symptoms started to get better from there. I wish the best for your son, it's really tough to stop sub, feel crappy and stay clean. I hope he gets the job too.

Best,

-glen b

PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 7:56 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

marker33 wrote:
[font=Arial] [/font]
My son is on day 11 of wd and is unable to eat anything without vomiting. Does anything help? He went from 8mg to 0 in one week because the job he is applying for tests for opiates. How much longer do the physical effects last?

There is no hard and fast rule of thumb. Going from 8 to 0 in one week is veeerrrryyyyyy fast and it's no surprise that he's that sick. It takes a long time for the Sub to leave your body. I'm wondering why he needs to stop the Suboxone so fast. For one thing, Suboxone won't show up as an opiate. They have to specifically test for Suboxone. Also, if he is prescribed Suboxone, he can show his script and there will be no problem.

Just hate to hear about someone suffering so badly if they don't have to.

laddertipper

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You can go to the ER and get some Zofran or promethazine to stop the vomiting. And try to make sure he's keeping hydrated. Has he not eaten in 11 days? Can he hold down water?

I would take him in if that's the case.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:41 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thank you all for your kind responses. He has eaten a little earlier in the week, and has been able to keep down some water, so I don't think hs'e dehydrated yet. His nausea is worse today than three days ago,which makes me worry. And yes, he did go to walgreens to test for opiates and the suboxone tested positive for opiates. He was furious because his doctor said it wouldn't show up.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:08 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

Thats a shame. When's he taking the test? I just took a 10 panel test for an employer and a 5 panel for the DOT last week and both were perfectly clean. Maybe try again because this is definitely not consistent with most experiences- its not impossible- just not the typical result.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi marker,

I'm sorry your son is having such a rough go of it, I'm sure it's stressing you out too. Make sure you remember to take care of yourself so you can continue taking care of him.

I jumped off Suboxone right around the same dose your son jumped from and it was NOT a pleasant experience, but I had no vomitting associated with my wd. Suboxone wd usually isn't intense enough to produce vomitting, in my experience and from what I've read here on the forum.

If I were you, I'd really try to get that vomitting under control, he may not be dehydrated now, but he's probably not too far from it. DoaQ gave you some excellent suggestions, myself, I've used Phenergan (Promethazine) during other opiate wd and it turned my stomach off like a light switch. I don't know if you've tried Imodium yet, but it works good too and it's available at any drug store.

During my wd, I did have a LOT of diarhea and all I could eat for the first 10 days was bacon....it's my comfort food. I was eating almost a pound a day. I also drank Gatorade. I'm guessing I was drinking close to a gallon of it a day. Gatorade will help stave off dehydration and keep his electrolytes up. Pedialyte is also good for restoring electrolytes and keeping dehydration at bay.

My wd peaked on day 10, then it eased up from there. Day 6 through day 10 were the worst, then, like I said, things eased up, but by no means was my wd over.

Is your son able to sleep at all?? Promethazine has a very strong sedative side-effect. If he's having trouble sleeping, which I imagine he is, Promethazine will also help to knock him out.

Do you mind telling us how long he was on Suboxone and at what doses?

Lastly, getting off of Suboxone and staying off of drugs entirely are two different animals. I'd hate to see him get off of Suboxone, then end up going back out and using. Just something for you and he to think about. Is this new job of his really worth the risk of him going out and using again? I'm not saying he'll use for sure, but that's certainly a possibilty that y'all need to consider.

I hope your son gets to feeling better soon, opiate wd is nasty and he's lucky to have you with him to help him.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 12:50 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Actually he was on 12 mg to start I believe and was down to 0 in one week. I will definitely tell him about imodium, he hasn't tried that yet. He lost his insurance with his job, so as soon as we can cover his cobra, he will see a doctor. His suboxone doc all but abandoned him when he went cold turkey. He is also with a young wife, who has stuck by him throughout this ordeal. thank you for your advice, it has been very difficult.

Post subject: Hmm
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 1:38 am 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

What type of job is your son applying for, as in what field? The reason I ask is that there are only a few fields I personally know of that can really *legally* limit employment based on a legitimately prescribed medication. I worked as a Clinician in a hospital setting and after school and internships and while taking my first drug test for my first job after I was all credentialed I was literally on Methadone, Morphine, Oxycodone, Hydrocodone, Valium, Klonopin, Phentobarbitol and D-Amphetamine; large doses of all of them, I might add. CRAZY, I know, but all legitimate and from one doctor, I was worried but when I inquired as to whether or not I passed the test I was given the green light and got the job.

I don't want to soun harsh but if I were a betting man, I'd say that a panel test from Walgreens likely either came up with a false positive or the ugly truth could be that perhaps your son did indeed have an opioid other than Buprenorphine in his system at the time of the test. Also, I find it odd that an employer would utilize the results from an employee bought Walgreens panel test, unless I'm missing something. I very well could be as I'm going off very little sleep.

540 Greenhaven Road #201|Anoka, MN 55303
(763)250.0702
http://www.facebook.com/TpnServiceCompanies
Person-centered counseling, education, advocacy, referral services and assessments.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:13 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

He actually never applied to any job after he took the test at walgreens. He is waiting until he feels better to try again. I did think about the " ugly truth" as you put it, but he was very happy on the suboxone and had no wish to do anything else. He took some lorazapan last night and was able to sleep, and today I don't think he has been vomiting. Perhaps he is starting to come away from it. I certainly hope so. i think the fact that he was only on the Suboxone for four months might give him a better chance to heal more quickly. It will be a life long quest for sobriety I'm sure, as opiate addiction is not easily conquered. Thank you all for your time and advice.