It is currently Mon Aug 21, 2017 12:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Narcotic Bowel Syndrome
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 9:27 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, this isn't a pleasant topic, but I feel I should post this.

Going off of opiates, including Suboxone has caused me serious GI issues, from nausea to severe diarrhea and everything in between, including lots of cramps and generalized abdominal pain. Jumping off 16mg was the worst for me this time. I would awake with bad hunger pains, then if I ate I would experience any or all of the above. I went through about 2+ weeks basically not eating because it was so bad.
My husband was pushing for me to go to a doctor, but I balked because the last time I went through this I went and I got a bogus diagnosis of IBS and was prescribed some equally bogus medication which I refused to fill and take. I KNEW it was the detox, and the good doctor told me I was wrong.
Interestingly, I called a woman I was in detox with this time, she was going off of a monster oxy habit and was experiencing the same thing as me. She went for an abdominal ultrasound and (surprise, surprise) they found nothing.
Shortly thereafter I stumbled across "Narcotic Bowel Syndrome" on the Internet. Google it and you will get a ton of information. It mostly deals with a syndrome in people who are still ON narcotics - GI issues, pain, more pain when not dosing, more narcotics being prescribed for the pain - a vicious cycle. But I totally believe that the GI issues going OFF narcotics are part of the same syndrome. In one study 75% of subjects who stayed off of narcotics for 90 days had a marked improvement in pain and symptoms. The problem was more than half the subjects went back to painkillers before the 90 day mark......

Probably the most disturbing thing is that they say NBS is often misdiagnosed, and people are given unnecessary medications (!), treatments, diagnostic tests, and even unnecessary SURGERY! I'm so glad I didn't go down that road.....

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue May 07, 2013 3:59 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

When I got off Suboxone, my stomach went nuts, too. I kept waiting and waiting for it to get better, but it didn't, so I ended up trying LacTaid (for lactose intolerance), but it didn't really work. I got myself tested for Celiac disease because it runs in my family, but it came back negative. I finally went to a gastroenterologist and he insisted on shoving a camera up my ass, which revelaed nothing, so he diagnosed me with IBS and told me to take fiber pills. I thought he was nuts and I wasn't going to take the fiber pills, but my wife bought me some and had me try them and they actually work!!!

I take a couple of fiber pills before I eat and it works. You may wanna try that, it's cheap and no risk really.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2013 5:58 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Thanks, Romeo. I'm actually much better. I've been taking a high quality acidophilus supplement, but I really think just time and not using has healed me. I wanted to post about it because I think it's a pretty good bet that many people either on or going off Suboxone are experiencing this - and I'd hate to see people getting misdiagnoses and unnecessary medical treatments.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri May 10, 2013 9:55 am 
3 Months or More
3 Months or More

very interesting.... before suboxone Feb. 2012 I was taking large amounts of pain killers. I would have these "attacks" severe abdominal pain sooo bad would last for 4 up to ten days. I would lay in bed and no one was allowed in because I would be in so much pain I would curl up and trance . Went thru that for several years these attacks would come out of nowhere and leave just out of nowhere. my whole stomach would quit working no gas no poop just constant vomit and lots of it. I would drink a glass of water just so I could throw up and have a few minutes of ease. went to er many times to no avail. then I finally got insurance through work and went to a g.i. and he did the thru my mouth down my guts pictures and said my gall bladder was bad. I had it removed in may of 2010 felt a lot better but I did have another similar attack in july of 2011. I believe it was stressed induced and it did not last as long. actually my husband bought a suboxone of the street and it gave me some relief. fast forward to today and I had attack. the severe pain and my guts shut down or swell shut whatever last Wednesday. the pain only lasted one day but my stomach and guts still not up to normal. lost approx. ten pounds in the last month. I am now searching for a physician to look into the problem. I am now very curious about narcotic bowel syndrome . never heard of it but I am sure it relates to me
thanks for the info.

Post subject: Painful shits
PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2013 3:16 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hi guys,

I haven't logged in for some time but actually logged in today to read some info about this topic as I am struggling at the moment.

Constipation has been a problem since day 1 with subutex. I don't recall it being this bad while using pills.
I must say that i'm a bit worried about it. I don't want to come across as vulgar here and please forgive me if I do
but I have never experienced so much pain involved with taking a crap..

Sometimes the urge is there. So I sit.. It starts and gets to that really painful spot and then STOPS! Leaving me hunched over in agony. The only thing that has helped is the dulcolax suppositories. Stool softener by the hand fulls and nothing. Yesterday I had dairy queen and instantly felt my stomach growl like something soft was brewing. Trouble was that it wanted to come out and was being blocked by what was ahead. And what was ahead was ROCK HARD.

Ughh i'm sorry folks but my insides feel tortured. It makes me wonder if there is damage going on as I have occasionally seen small traces of blood. With the size and strength of these turds something has to be tearing for it to come out.

I'm sure someone can relate. I hope I haven't grossed you out.

Ryan

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2013 6:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Thanks for posting this, as I finally know what was causing the issues I had when I was abusing roxis. I had pain so bad I thought I was going to die. I barely ate or went to the bathroom, yet my stomach stuck out. I never went to the doctor because I suspected that it was due to the extremely large amounts of opiates I was using. I actually wonder now how close I was to really hurting myself or dying from it.

After I started suboxone, I never had this issue. Yet one more reason I thank suboxone for my life today.

I will say to those that are suffering from constipation on subs, that reducing your dose may help. Especially Ryan, you don't mention what dose you are at, but I know that when I went down to about 4 mg and under, the constipation went away.

Now that I am off subs for 18 days, I am having the opposite problem, but I'm sure that's just my guts readjusting to the constipating nature of subs.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2013 9:09 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

The best thing I ever did was start using Mira-lax. Its a powder that you mix with any liquid, no matter what I take at least one dose a day and everything comes out smooth and easy( sorry for the details). Gets kind of expensive but worth it, generics work just the same. This has been a butt saver for sure, and we all know how bad these problems can get. Thought i would share, to help

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:00 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I am glad to hear I am not the only one having bowel problems....my problem is constipation...I will go a week without
a poop...and that cannot be good for my bowels...I know I need to reduce my subutex ((on 16mg)) and I really think
4mg. would hold me...I have had some bad back pain so I will take that 2nd pill to help the pain..but two of these
pills just keep me from having a b.m. I have taken stools softners like the person ahead said..by the handfulls and
nothing...I know it is the bup causing this but it has been hard for me to reduce down to 4mg. this time.

I have taken just 4mg before and it worked just fine. I am terribly worried about this, yet I keep taking the 2 pills.

How sick is that??!! Thank you Lilyv. for this post...maybe it will wake me up to do something about it.

Slipper