It is currently Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:00 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Nanny state bullshit ...
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 12:59 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

This is a bit of a gripe of mine. Understand I don't have kids of my own, but jeez aren't we taking things a bit far?

My brother and I are going skydiving in the new years, and to do some preparation we've been looking for a 10 metre tower to do a few jumps in preparation. When I was growing up there were a few of these diving towers around the city and they literally let anyone of any age shape or size jump off. After ringing around and going to two pools, it seems there's only ONE that's still operational and open to the public in the city. And that's mainly used for professional divers. The reason they all give is "potential for injury" ... WTF? They let me and countless kids jump off back in the day and they seemingly didn't give a shit.

Another thing is my local pool used to have a half-pipe for skaters / bladers, but they took that down for the same reason. And all around the city the old playgrounds have been torn down and replaced with

WTF is going on? Are kids more precious now than they were when I was growing up? When I was growing up our trampolines were a mess of bare springs and hard steel. Now they're these tiny things with nets and thick padding. Many parents are apprehensive to let their kids even ride their bikes around the streets and would rather they sat inside playing X-Box. In primary school my sister and I used to ride our bikes all around my surrounding suburbs. Nowadays that'd be considered bad parenting.

And we wonder why kids are getting fat?

Anyway, rant over. I just wanted to jump off the 10m tower.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 7:14 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

[font=Comic Sans MS]I have no idea why, but I just think that you are SO funny!
I think that what it is, is that the people/borough/townships, etc, don't want the liability if
something were to happen and someone got seriously hurt.
My parents were the same way. We rode our bikes EVERYWHERE, and knew to come home
when the streetlights came on. Now, I RARELY, if ever, see kids riding around that very same
town.
I agree with your thoughts on the oesity rate in children as well. In MY OPINION, it's child abuse.
To allow your child to sit and play Xbox, Playstation, or anything else for 12 hours a day, with
zero physical excercise, is rediculous. Over the summer, I had my son outside playing AT LEAST
5 days a week. for AT LEAST 5 or 6 hours. When I was a kid, I was outside ALL DAY.
But gettting back to your point, I do think that this is a liability issue. While we were kids roaming
about the neighborhood for hours on end, parents weren't worried about being sued if a child
scraped their knee on THEIR property. Soooo many people are so quick to sue anyone and
everyone, just for the money. And I think that that plays a huge role in it as well.

PS...our halfpipe/ramp/bike/skating park in town, is still up and running! And busy as hell too! I for one
am glad to see it!
Take Care~Kelly [/font]

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2012 2:41 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I think Kelly is right, it's not so much the Nanny state as it is the lawsuit happy state.

And I KWYM about the kids outside thing. I remember bringing my son to a park when he was little, and EVERY kid had a parent there. When I was a kid we were all outside all day and our mothers got things done. Now it's one more thing on moms to do list, because if you dare send your kid outside alone you are a bad parent. :?