It is currently Thu Aug 17, 2017 7:26 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: DITTO!!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:25 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

I agree. It's so awesome to not have to worry about and search for pills. I remember hating having to drive all over the place at crazy hrs (sometimes even w/my young daughter in tow), just so I wouldn't be sick. It was such a miserable, helpless feeling.

The "normalcy" in which the Sub allowes you to experience, is definitely one of my favorite aspects of this medication. It gives you the oppurtunity to focus on more important things in you'r life like (mending relationships, becoming a productive member of society, the chance to truly look at yourself in the mirror).

I think my favorite day on the Sub was the first day that I woke up without being in withdrawl. I was so happy I cried. While in active addiction, I'd try to trick myself into believing I was ok, only to be overcome with withdrawl as soon as I opened my other eyelid. What a horrible way to live.

I have so much respect and gratitude for this medication and for all whom support it's availibility/use for addicts. Keep up the good work Lullubelle. This is just the beginning. You'r getting your life back!! Congrats!

Post subject: Welcome
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:47 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hi and welcome. I'm so happy for you that you are feeling better and enjoying the control you have over your life now and the release from the obsession over where you will get your pills, etc. It was a huge thing for me to wake up and feel good. For me, the issue was alcohol, and we all know how terrible you feel after drinking too much. ICK!! I did that for years. Then, every single day I woke up and wasn't hungover was just fantastic to me. It took a long time for that to not be the very first thing I noticed when I opened my eyes. During those bad drinking years, I'd wake up and kinda open one eye and try to gauge just how bad off I was that day. Yuck. No way to live! Listen, I'm a mom too and I was not a good mom when I was drunk. I understand the guilt. Just please know that you have changed and you can forgive yourself for the past. As long as you learn from it, it's not in vain and you deserve to live without the torment of regret. And you are doing what you should do...talking about it. Getting it out. Your two-year-old most likely won't even remember seeing you taking those drugs. I quit drinking when my oldest was seven and he has no recollection of me ever drinking.

Wade, I know going to church is not counseling. I think it can be just as good, though, and you know what? I appreciate you reminding me...because I need to really make the effort this Sunday to go. Church is so positive and I leave with such a fantastic, magical peace....like all is just good with me and God and the whole world.....

I very much support meetings and I encourage people new to sobriety to give them a chance, especially if you aren't involved in something else (meetings, a religious group, etc.). You frequently have to search to find a good meeting, and it's not always such a great idea to tell everyone you are on Sub. I've had some bad experiences, sure....If you can find a Dual Recovery Anonymous meeting in your area, I suggest trying that, as medications are accepted as part of sobriety. For me, meetings were not only about getting sober because I was in a crisis mode. They were about learning to live life with an addictive brain that messes with many areas of life, not just substances. I needed to learn to live normally and have balance...and also, I learned that I HAD to put being sober first....ALWAYS!! I can never let my guard down. I got more from meetings than I could ever describe and much more than I got from counseling. And I thought they were uber corny before I realized I needed them. I know there are studies that show meetings/counseling significantly improves recovery rates, so I guess it just depends on the specific study you are looking at.

laddertipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:39 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Sorry to go offtrack again, but here's the link to the study I mentioned earlier: http://www.drugaddictiontreatment.com/d ... ependence/

It is the largest study of its kind involving prescription pain pill addicts rather than the usual heroin addicts. It included over 600 people. Almost universally people from the counseling and non-counseling groups both relapsed after discontinuing sub treatment.

I'm not saying that there may not be studies that say the opposite. There may very well be - I just couldn't find them. I hope this clears up the confusion and questions that ensued after my last posts.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.