It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Naltrexone and Detox
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:39 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

Hey this is my first post here. A little background, I am 23 and was addicted to heroin at 17 about 3 years ago I started Methadone and almost exactly 1 year ago swtiched from the Methadone to Suboxone. I started at 24mg and now I am at about .25mg a day. I just got a new job and start the 26th and wanted to take this time to try and get off the sub. My doc gave me clonodine, trazadone, and some nausea stuff. I tried to stop couple days ago but couldnt deal with the leg aches and restlessness so my doc said he would give me 3 10mg valium if I take Naltrexone in front of him. He told me that taking the Naltrexone will only make me feel worse than Ive been for a few hours. Though he him self has never taking sub and I am a little scared to do Naltrexone just for 3 valium and I am not sure 3 val would even really do much. I think I have a bit of a resistance to benzos. So has anyone done this? I am trying to get a read on how bad it will be. Ive read some stuff where people said the w/d really wasnt that horrible ( not as bad as heroin, etc.) and some make it sound like they were dying. I have had no cravings for any type of opiate for years so I am not worried about relapse and really the naltrexone seems nice because I wont have a choice but to deal with it. I also want to be sure I am good for work which really starts tues. Any true experience with this would really help me decide if I should do it or not. Also I may be taking less than .25 because I have the listerine type strips of sub and I take a tiny, tiny sliver. I appreciate any help I can get. Thanks guys.

J

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:28 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Naltrexone induced rapid detox works brilliant in theory. In practice it's something else. The idea that naltrexone will "get your detox over with quicker" couldn't be further from the truth. And I'd be really disappointed in my doctor if he made a suggestion like that, especially given the number of studies in my country that have shown rapid-detox to be the least successful method.

There are two things that don't make sense about your doctor's suggestion.

Buprenorphine has more binding affinity to opioid receptors than naltrexone. While the naltrexone may have some minor effect around the edges, the buprenorphine in your body will STILL be stuck on your receptors... so there will be hardly any "rapid detox" effect. And I'm really surprised your doctor isn't aware of this. Maybe mention this to him and hear what he has to say?

The other thing. Even if it DID work, rapid-detox is never as clear cut in duration as the theory suggests. 24 hours and you're cured my arse. Especially with longer half-life opioids, there can be residual acute withdrawal for days / weeks after. I've heard of people who went to Israel to get it done when it first came out - 1 day clinic and you're "cured". One guy had to be wheeled to the plane back home in a wheelchair.

I did an accidental home rapid-detox - took half a Revia / naltrexone tablet while on 70(?)mg methadone. And I was shell-shocked for a week after.

If I were in your position, I'd just continue tapering gradually. Check out laddertipper's taper thread - she got down to something silly low like 0.000000025mg.

Good luck and congrats on your success thus far.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2012 2:05 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

screw the vallum, clonodine works so much better. i just did rapid detox and i take 1/2 clonodine pill every several hours..... no symptoms other than fatigue.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Aug 15, 2012 2:25 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with TJ. It's my opinion that you should continue your taper until you have no other doses to cut out and then stop. Go as low as you possibly can...way down into the micrograms. The people who do that have next to no withdrawals. And try not to think about it or plan out your taper. I've been on this forum for 3.5 years and one thing I've noticed over that whole time is that the people who perseverate on their taper and withdrawals have the hardest time! It's like they EXPECT it to be horrible therefore it turns out exactly as they expect.

Just keep tapering and you'll do fine. Suboxone is strong and .25 will definitely still give you withdrawals.

Good luck and keep us posted on how you're doing. (BTW, most of the horror stories you hear are the ones who cold-turkeyed from a high dose, which is not recommended.)

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.