It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:53 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Naltraxon...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:29 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I am not really sure if I should post here or not but I wanted to let you know how well my son is doing on Naltraxone. He swears he is not craving and it has helped take a lot of pressure off. I did not tell him that supposedly it does not help with cravings but watching my son you would never know that. He is happy and has joined the human race and I am so proud of him. He believes it helps him with cravings and who am I or anyone to tell him differently. I am curious to hear from others if they have taken it and if it has helped with cravings. I enjoy this forum and feel comfortable here and really don't want to find another and hope that you guys might be interested in hearing about his new journey. I actually refuse to write about this on my blog because I know he reads it from time to time and I don't want him to hear that supposedly it does not help with cravings because it does for him.

Post subject: Re: Naltraxon...
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:32 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Madyson007 wrote:
I am not really sure if I should post here or not but I wanted to let you know how well my son is doing on Naltraxone. He swears he is not craving and it has helped take a lot of pressure off. I did not tell him that supposedly it does not help with cravings but watching my son you would never know that. He is happy and has joined the human race and I am so proud of him. He believes it helps him with cravings and who am I or anyone to tell him differently. I am curious to hear from others if they have taken it and if it has helped with cravings. I enjoy this forum and feel comfortable here and really don't want to find another and hope that you guys might be interested in hearing about his new journey. I actually refuse to write about this on my blog because I know he reads it from time to time and I don't want him to hear that supposedly it does not help with cravings because it does for him.

You can follow my story on "A Mom's Serious Blunder" madyson007,wordpress.com

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 10:06 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

I've heard others say it helps with cravings....and has sometimes been used to help with alcohol cravings with success in some.

I've tried it many years ago but I ended up severely depressed, which I attributed to the naltrexone, and at that time it didn't do much for me except help me if I relapsed. I think, to be real about it, I was not ready to stop opiate use and didn't want to take it. And look where that got me....LOL

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 2:55 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

congrats on your sons success. i know that i was prescribed naltrexone when i left detox and i dont think i ever took it becuase my ppost withdrawals were so bad that i was scared that i would take it and then be stuck becuase i would feel like crap ad not be able to take anything to make it better. i know thats obviously weird but as the previous poster said; i think that i wasnt ready to recover yet and at the same time i didnt want to be stuck feeling like crap with absolutley no out. anyways, im really happy it is working for your son and that he can get his life back!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:27 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It's great to hear that it is "working". I'm curious, did he get an injection, an implant, or is he taking daily pills? I really hope it's one of the first two - only because a much larger number relapse with the pills, simply because they can stop taking them. I too have seen reports of depression and just a few days ago saw a study that showed it actually caused a higher incidence of sexual side-effects that Bup did. I was very surprised at that. On the other hand, I have seen studies that show it really seems to help with alcoholism and there is no denying the safety factor for relapse since it blocks opiates. Again, the shot/implant has a much higher rate of this than the pills do, but whatever works! Great to hear things are going better. Hopefully it will continue.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 9:58 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

donh wrote:
It's great to hear that it is "working". I'm curious, did he get an injection, an implant, or is he taking daily pills? I really hope it's one of the first two - only because a much larger number relapse with the pills, simply because they can stop taking them. I too have seen reports of depression and just a few days ago saw a study that showed it actually caused a higher incidence of sexual side-effects that Bup did. I was very surprised at that. On the other hand, I have seen studies that show it really seems to help with alcoholism and there is no denying the safety factor for relapse since it blocks opiates. Again, the shot/implant has a much higher rate of this than the pills do, but whatever works! Great to hear things are going better. Hopefully it will continue.

Well he left rehab with a two month supply of the pill form of Naltraxon. He would like to get the once a month shot but it can cost as much as a $1000.00. Our insurance has not gotten back to us on whether they will cover it. We really haven't looked into the implant. As far as the relapse part...I think we would all feel better with the injection but right now this is working for him. He feels very much in control and has really joined the human race. It has been amazing...I am thrilled and cautious if that makes sense? Interestingly I just asked him today if he had noticed any side effects now that he had been taking it for awhile and he said "It's like I am taking nothing at all except I don't obsess about opiates anymore." I don't see any PAWS symptoms going on either but he may feel differently. Even his sleeping patterns are sooooooooo much better which was always one of his worst PAWS symptoms. This all might just be that J has a completely different mindset since leaving this rehab. I am praying this is his miracle.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:13 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I also wanted to include this article I found because everyone keeps insisting that it will not help with withdrawals and I guess there is some antidotal data that suggests differently. They don't seem to understand why it works.

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health ... 4_ST_N.htm

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2011 11:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

$1,000 for a flipping injection??? Are you sure about that? OMG that is beyond crazy. I am not one of these people who are against the drug companies, don't think they should profit, etc. but C'mon... $12,000 a year for an injection of a drug that has actually been around for a pretty long time - just not available in this form? That is just really, really crazy. I don't know what else to say. I mean, that is 1/4 to 1/3 many people's annual income in the United States. And for a shot that pretty much does nothing other than block other drugs? Hell, I'll bet you could hire someone to make certain your son takes a pill everyday without fail for about $300 month. I mean think about it. Hell I'd take that job. Watch someone take their Naltrexone pill everyday and collect $10 for it. Perhaps I just found a new business, huh?

I'm glad to hear that it works. I actually have thought for a while now about going on Naltrexone myself if/when I stop Bup - but not at a grand a pop I'm not.

Thanks for the info. Please continue to let us know how things are going and I hope you see continued progress.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:51 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Madyson007 wrote:
I also wanted to include this article I found because everyone keeps insisting that it will not help with withdrawals and I guess there is some antidotal data that suggests differently. They don't seem to understand why it works.

http://www.usatoday.com/yourlife/health ... 4_ST_N.htm
So sorry I meant to say cravings not withdrawals.