Suboxone or Subutex, what is better?
Suboxone 30%  30%  [ 33 ]
Subutex 70%  70%  [ 77 ]
Total votes : 110
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:21 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I was on opiates for 13 years. 10 years, pain pills.....Hydrocodone (Vicoden) and Oxycodone (OxyContin). Pretty heavy abuse. I got to the point where snorting an 80mg OC barely got a rise out of me. Yup, I knew I was in big trouble then. Within months of not getting much off of an 80mg OC, I found Suboxone. I spent almost 3 years on Suboxone, around the 16mg mark for the most part. I completely buggered up my taper (cheated all the way through it) and ended up jumping around 5mg or so. Jumping from a high dose SUCKS, but it can be done. Tapering is, by far, the best route off of Suboxone.

Prior to opiates, I abused mostly weed and cocaine for about 13 years too. I've got about 26 years of drug abuse altogether.

I understand you being afraid of being off of Suboxone, I understand the fear of deflation and depression once off all opiates. I'm not gonna lie to you and tell you my wd was easy, because it wasn't.....it sucked hard, but then again, I jumped from a high dose.

If you REALLY want to get off of Suboxone AND you're REALLY ready to get off of Suboxone, then taper, taper, taper. If you're not REALLY ready to get off of Suboxone, don't do it. Most of us who have got off of Suboxone KNEW we were ready, we just KNEW it.

Tapering seems to be the least painful way of getting off of Suboxone. Your mind/body is allowed to continually adjust to smaller and smaller doses of the drug and your final jump will be that much easier.

Oh Yeah, I don't think your brain receptors are permanently trashed. I believed that in the beginning of my wd too, I thought I had permanently buggered up my brain and I was NOT a happy camper!! I'm here to tell you, we get better. It takes time, but we get better. The brain is amazingly plastic and resilient.

Thanks SO much for saying congratulations to me, it really means a lot.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:36 pm 
bandersnatch wrote:
Thank you for your compassionate response, romeo. I am new to forum communication (have never been on one anywhere), and when i read ironic's response, it really made me wonder if i should have so frankly aired my skeletons here so soon after joining (or ever). I certainly didn't mean to give the impression that i'm just some joy-rider on sub for no good reason and only abusing it. I am here for good reason, and i am on the right med. I just have some work to do.

I actually have an autoimmune dis-ease called hashimoto's thyroiditis, where my body thinks my thyroid is a foreign invader and thus attacks it. The gluten molecule looks almost identical to thyroid at a molecular level, so consuming it triggers increased attack on my thyroid. That's it in a nutshell... I've been off gluten for over a year (since diagnosis), and i can tell when i get even small amounts of it.

Thanks for the naloxone info. Yes, it's frustrating not being able to find good, solid info... Since i never used IV, i'm at zero risk for injecting. It irks me that i am forced to dump an unknown chemical into my body to prevent others from injecting it. It just doesn't make a lot of sense to me... for me.

Anyway, thanks for being kind. I will be more careful and thoughtful with my words in future, lest i again give the wrong impression. I definitely should be working with an addiction counselor. I've tried going it alone, and it hasn't worked so great for me. I haven't relapsed in 2 & 1/2 years, but i haven't decreased my meds significantly, either. And my relationship with sub is similar to my relationship with my opiate of choice. That can't be healthy.... or productive...

I didn't say anything personal or judgmental, only that abusing Suboxone can wreak havoc on your brain as much as using full-agonists, and asked if you have a low tolerance, because it shouldn't get you "high." it isn't the recommended treatment for someone with a smaller habit.