It is currently Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:08 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

Post subject: Naloxone & OCD SE's
PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2014 10:17 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I'm new, so, "Hello all!"

My Question: Could Naloxone be the cause of my OCD symptoms? And if so, would that validate an outpatient prescription of Subutex?

My History:
After back issues/surgery & a 12-year run on prescribed narcotics, I made the move to Sub just over 4 years ago. And although I was never a "recreational" opiate user, I was heavily addicted all the same. I love it, it has greatly improved my life - well, I shud say that atleast the Buprenorphine part has.

Here's my problem:
A few months into my Sub program, I started developing classic OCD symptoms; doing things in a strict routine, number tracking, taking an hour to fold a basket of towels so that all of the edges lined up "just right" - In addition, I found myself crying A LOT, taking every comment very personally, and even having full blown panic attacks! (A 1st for me @ age 30) Anyway, by month 3/4 I was a wreck & figured I must've always suffered from OCD, but that all the narcotics throughout the years had supressed it. I was put on Lexapro & assumed I wud have to accept this as part of my "new" life.

However, in my 6th month of treatment I found out I was pregnant, something my newly wed Husband & I were NOT expecting. I was swiftly switched over to Subutex (Bup alone), taken off of the Lexapro & was well underway into my high-risk pregnancy. Well, almost immediately I felt like "me" again; all of the OCD signs, thoughts, and behaviors that I had been experiencing over the last 6 months seemed to disappear. Weird, huh? I thought to myself, "Pregnancy must really agree w/me!"

Fast Forward to after the birth of my beautiful, healthy baby girl: I was put back on the Suboxone & wudn't u know it, within weeks, the same exact OCD symptoms were back. After some research by my Dr, he felt that the Naloxone cud be the cause of/reason for the severity of, my OCD behaviors. He then put me back on plain old Buprenorphine & for about the next 3 years (and giving birth to Twin girlz) I've been OCD-free. Shud be a happy ending, right? Wrong...........

This past January (a few weks after giving birth to my Twins) my Dr abruptly moved his office across state lines & pharmacies stopped filling his narcotic scripts! After being w/him through 8 years of Pain Management, I was ultimately forced to find a new Dr at a strict, no Subutex, Addiction Recovery center. And after 5/6 months back on Suboxone, with all of my OCD symptoms present & accounted for, I feel like I'm living in HELL!!

How do I convince my new Dr that Naloxone & I just DO NOT work well together? And if not my current Dr, how do I convince any Dr. that I cannot take the side effects of Suboxone and need a Subutex script? Has anyone else experienced this? Does anyone have any ideas on what I can do? I mean seriously, it's not like I can just stop taking the stuff. I feel doomed, like someone else's OCD brain has invaded my head..... I'm trapped....

Post subject: Re: Naloxone & OCD SE's
PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2014 9:05 pm 

Wow, that is a weird one! At first I was going to say that the naloxone is so minor that it couldn't possibly be the culprit. But after reading your experience all the way through I see your point.

Is there anyway for you to go back to your old doctors office and have your medical records given to you? Or ask your current doctor to have them transferred. That way they can see it is documented and you're not pulling their leg.

If all else fails, ask for a Butrans Patch with 20 mcg's. It's pure Buprenorphine and time released. The main problem with that is the highest dose is equal to roughly 2.5 mg's per day delivered through the skin. If you're okay with 2 mg's, ask for it. Oh yea, it's also expensive.

Let us know how it turns out, okay?

rule

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2014 12:28 pm 
One Month or More
One Month or More

I have OCD symptoms (tweezing for hours at a time, and other weird stuff) after my suboxone dose and assumed it was the suboxone. It's nothing compared to that you're experiencing. I also know my doctor is very reluctant to prescribe subutex. I can see where this would be a struggle.
I wonder if anyone else has had OCD or an increase in OCD on sub?
I agree, they to get your records from your previous doc.
(I know it's a pain, but it is your best bet).

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2014 12:31 am 

My wife would say yes, I tend to go mild OCD with my work and taking care of the house. I think it's due to my retirement and it is getting better each day.

Great subject!

rule