It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:53 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 5:46 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Hello again everyone, Its been awhile since I have posted, but I am once again here in need of some words of advice--here is the scoop ~~I have been on Subs since April 2013 & have gone from 24ish mgs per day all the way down to the pretty green packaged strips (2mg). This is the second month I am on 2mgs and my Dr already told me to expect to drop to 1.5 mg at my next appt, in about four weeks. I think he is expecting a 25%decrease or so per month. I am expecting I will be off by the end of the year. My doc is nice, and has always allowed me to listen to my body and not rush to drop - to a certain extent. He is good about keeping me moving on my taper, which I appreciate. But as I have gotten lower, the discussion has turned to what we will do after suboxone. He has said he has been having very good success in tapering other patients slowly as we are doing, then waiting 7days and beginning Naloxone. Have any of you gone this route? I am really looking for some success stories using Naloxone after Sub. I don't know why but I am so nervous about all of it.... Getting totally off mostly I think. Also, another question I have is - what is a good jumping point. I know someone will say it's all a personal choice, but i have read people's posts saying how they went down to .15, etc, and that it was not necessary, that they should have jumped a bit higher and gotten it over with. Im thinking .25 might be where I jump from but was looking for opinions on that as well.

Thanks so much for any experiences or words of advice anyone of you might have.
Lotsa love.
Amy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 08, 2014 6:02 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

I'm on day 6 of jumping off at .25 mg. I won't say it is a piece of cake in my case, but my will to keep going has not dwindled. I was also lucky to have a good doc who let me taper at my pace which was important. Good luck with what u decide and you can do it. :D

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:52 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

IMO Naloxone after Suboxone would just prolong things. When your ready to get off subs dont worry about the Naloxone just the subs. Ive never heard of anyone taking Naloxone after getting off subs so I cant say much about it but personally I think itd be quite useless after coming so far and will just prolong the whole process. Im on day 22 sub free, jumped at 1mg. Best advice go as low as possible before jumping. People who jump at .15-.25 have a much easier go of things when it comes to Acute Withdrawal. Everybody is different though. Just plan ahead and you can do it!

Our Sponsors
PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 10:44 am 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Prolong the process? How? Maybe I'm calling it the wrong name... I am talking about the drug that blocks opiates. Maybe its called Naltrexone. Isnt it supposed to block the effects of opiates / lessen any cravings, etc?? I understand this to be pretty common practice.....??? Maybe thats why so little response. Am i calling it he wrong name?

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 11:21 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Naltrexone would be the correct name and no, it won't prolong the wd. Taken too early, it could precipitate wd, but it looks like you doctor is aware of this, which is good.

Naltrexone is pure opioid antagonist. It has a high binding affinity for the mu receptor and will prevent any other opiates from binding to the receptor, thus you won't be able to get high if you slip.

Also, I've read reports of Naltrexone helping to speed up wd (after all previous opiates are well out of one's system). Not sure how it does that, but I've read of several people who made that claim.

We have a member or two here who went the Naltrexone route. I think one's name is Night? I really can't remember the other fella's name. I think l i v i n is the other guys screen name.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 1:35 pm 
6 Months or More
6 Months or More

naltrexone is the #1 factor that has kept me sober over the last year. I do attend 12 step meetings, but naltrexone has gotten me through the hardest times when I would have definitely used if I was not on it.

I get the vivitrol shot which is a monthly dose of naltrexone. It is the most successful route of administration because it makes it impossible to get high from any opiate for at least 30 days. Knowing that I cant get high even if I want to makes it much easier to work through cravings. I have been on it a year now and don't even think about opiates anymore.

There was one month when I decided not to get the shot, just to see how I would do and I did have a relapse., but that was much earlier on in my sobriety. My doc says I should stay on it for at least a year after my last relapse, so I have another few months on this stuff. It has been a life saver and miracle in my life. If you have any questions, just let me know!