Long Time Member
Long Time Member

That's all I had to say.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Getting hit in the face with a basketball doing 63mph hour SUCKS too!!

Yeah, moving does suck!! Things that suck should be outlawed!!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 6:29 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am with you Diary! I am in the process of moving from Arizona to North Carolina with 4 kids ages 5, 3 and 13 month old twins. I thought moving sucked before but I didn't know what sucked meant until this cross-country move!

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Holy crap, Breezy....YOU WIN.

I have moved across the country a bunch of times but I was a singleton so I just got rid of everything I owned except what would fit in my very small car.

Now I have a big(ish) place, a kid, a pack-rat husband, a roommate and a TON OF SHIT.

Books. Records. Turntables. Toys. Electronics. Furniture. Books. More books. Crap, crap and more crap. UGH.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:38 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Ok, you guys are scaring me. My husband and I, along with our two dogs and three cats, are moving across country in less than two years. I already know it's going to be a logistical nightmare. Happy happy, joy, joy.

Good luck to the both of you.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 8:43 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Hat, you just have to use it as an opportunity to see what you really can live without.

I have gotten rid of so much shit this past month, and I have even more stuff to donate.

It's amazing the stupid crap we hold on to: Books I'll never read again, clothes that don't fit, dishes I don't use, toys that we don't play with, music I never listen to...

It's kind of freeing. I'm just fucked right now because after the big clean-and-donate push I slacked off for a week or two and now we're down to the wire and ugh, just ugh.

Things always take longer than you think they will. Some kind of universal law or something.

Back to work!

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:01 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I completely agree, when you move you realize how much crap you have. We were only in our last house for a little over a year and never unpacked everything. My husband wanted to go thru it all and I said hell no, we didn't use it for a year and we aren't taking it. We had yard sales, donated, made a few trips to the dump and we still have crap! Moving is absolutely one of the most stressful things ever but don't worry Hat it didn't get bad until we had kids.

I can handle the work but it is insane when you have to Chase around 4 young kids, not to mention all of their stuff that has to come too. We donated enough toys for a small towns Christmas!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 9:12 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

We've already decided to get rid of at least half of the shit we own, so we're prepared for major down-sizing. I've already told my husband that our next home will not have any of the current clutter we have now. No more knick-knacks and excessive crap. I'm actually looking forward to it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Nov 28, 2011 10:34 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

You all make me laugh. I have had a shitty day withdrawling, but this moving thread is funny. I have moved so many times I lost count. I also have kids too. I tell ya, last time I moved, I left everything with the guy I married way too fast. Left nearly everything I owned for 15 years prior to meeting the guy I married way too fast. When I left, (the guy a=I married way too fast) I kept next to nothing. I even slept on the floor for 3 months. Thats how little I kept. I finally have a bed and a few household items, but I do NOT miss all the stuff. I have so much less to worry about. It really is a relief. And to think of all the money I spent on all that stuff. We really do not need even half of the stuff we think we do. Now the next time I move, it will be a hell of a lot easier.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 2:19 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I didnt move but i help my parents clean the basement after 27 years of build up. And just moving those things to the dumpster we rented was to much. I couldnt begin to think how much it would suck to load that dumpster drive some were else and unload it by hand.

Post subject: I'm with Ya
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 3:11 pm 

Having moved twice in two years really sucked. We lived in a house for 17 years before that and really had to get rid of a lot of stuff. Doing garage sales takes a lot out of you. Craig's List sales and some Ebay stuff went out too.

What really hurt was the cost of a moving company. Who the heck has several thousand dollars to give up? Doing it myself was out of the question and we did find a reasonable company for half the price. Still it was 2 grand to move one state over.

Then they tell you your stuff won't be delivered for FOUR DAYS! What are we supposed to do, camp out in our new house? Spend more money on a motel room? We actually found a company to deliver the next day but it almost killed us and them.

We are moved in and are not moving again for many many years.

Good Luck!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 5:54 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

OK, I'm going to stop reading this thread. I've already starting planning the moving sales, started selling things on Craigslist, etc, etc, and we're not moving for ~22 months! The dread is slowly growing with each passing week! LOL. That's okay though. It just means I'm that much closer to replacing the snowy Midwest with sunny Florida! (And right now that sounds damn good, cuz we're due for our first storm of the winter tonight - up to 10"! EEEK.)

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 6:58 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I AM ABOUT FIVE MINUTES FROM A NERVOUS BREAKDOWN.

HOLY. FUCKING. SHIT.

Why, oh, why do I have to be such a procrastinator?

Yesterday, J spent almost the whole day just boxing up his records. HIS RECORDS. RECORDS THAT HE HAS NOT PLAYED IN GOD KNOWS HOW LONG. Why wasn't this done weeks ago. I have no fucking idea. None.

Yesterday I did five loads of laundry, packed most of our room, most of the kid's room, did two loads of dishes and organized a bunch of other shit to be donated. Today, I am so sore I have to just keep talking myself into moving my body. Just one more dresser drawer, you can do it!

Records. And to think, him being a DJ was one of the things I LIKED about him. Hahahahhahaha.

I am yelling at y'all because if I yell at him I think we will kill each other, or our relationship, or something. Last night there was a loud, high-pitched squealing sound outside and my roommate said...is that a plane? I said maybe it will crash into the house and we won't have to move after all. AHHHHHHHHHGGHGHGHGHHHHH. We had a good laugh, and then I stabbed an ice pick into my brain.

Ohmygod, whoever said that opiate withdrawal is the hardest thing in the world has obviously never had to move. Fuck this noise.

Allright, back to work!

Hat - learn from my mistakes. Don't leave things until the end.

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Nov 29, 2011 7:18 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Yeah moving companies are sooo expensive! All we could afford was a 16' container from pods and that set us back 3 grand! A moving company was going to be like 5-7 grand, yeah right! I think we found a house today so soon I will be starting the next part of the journey, moving in.

Which isn't as bad because you can take more time. We won't get our stuff for 7 business days from when I ask for it. I still have the fun cross country drive with the boys. Thank god my mom is flying the twins out after we get there. I am nervous to have the boys in the car for that long, I can't even imagine them plus the babies.

The worst part is we know this isn't permanent, we will be moving from North Carolina to Virginia Beach in about a year and a half. At least this time it's closer and his new company is giving us 10 grand to move with. You better believe I am getting the guys that pack and un-pack all of your crap for you!

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Nov 30, 2011 4:08 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGWTFBBQ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

MY BRAIN JUST MELTED,

-Jack Kornfield

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:45 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I have to agree with your last post Diary,

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

I am gonna give you the very short version of my extremely shitty day. So we wound up hiring my uncle to drive my van to NC and we are flying out super early Friday morning. My husband has to drive 2 1/2 hours to get us at the airport on Friday. So that left him tomorrow to unload our stuff and get all the furniture put together. I find out today they are delivering my stuff a day late now. I used pods and they have Fucked everything up, the initial delivery and now this. I told them they could not just change my delivery because everything is planned around him unloading tomorrow. I explained that we have 4 small kids and this is really screwing us. They basically told me tough shit, I dare you to do something about it and they won't even give me some kind of discount or anything. Perfect example of the big company knowing the little guy can't do shit. I payed them over $3,000 to be treated like shit. So I am doing the only thing I can and telling everyone I know to think twice before using their company!

After that lovely phone conversation this morning I find out there is a charge I didn't make on my debit card which overdrafted my account. I call the bank and they say I have to come in to dispute it, well my van left Tuesday so I have no vehicle and don't know how I am gonna take care of it!

As if that wasn't enough I get a call from the property management of our new house and am informed the lady screwed up when my husband picked up they keys and we owe them more money! I am still waiting to hear back from my husband on what exactly the contract says. If we do wind up owing the money they were very sneaky.

What the hell is wrong with the world? Is everyone out there now days just a bunch of heartless assholes? Sorry to go off but I really needed to vent. Indeed moving FUCKING SUCKS!

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:55 pm 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Diary of a Quitter wrote:
That's all I had to say.

OK I was reading you guys post today and I just have to say this...I do not mean to make light of your situation as we have moved 24 times in 41 years with and without children, with and without the big van lines...BUT.............I've had a real shitty day and the more I read the funnier it got or the more tickled I got and then when DOAQ sends in the one-liner.."MY BRAIN JUST MELTED' my God I started laughing and laughing and I laughed so hard I started crying and laughing at the same time and then I laughed so hard I hate to say this but I began to wet my pants and damn near pee'd all over myself!!!!!!!!!!!!! I haven't had a good ole laugh like that in 4 years!!! My husband came running in to see what was the matter with me!....and all the time yall were scaring the shit out of hatmaker who has only got animals and a husband to move (course its still just as hard hatmaker) but yall were so funny you just made my day!!!!

Thank You from the bottom of my heart and my wet bottom..
Slipper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:46 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I agree, that line "MY BRAIN JUST MELTED" killed me, DoaQ's angst has been building and building until...KAPOW.

I'm sorry to be laughing Dairy Queen, but you are just too damn funny!!

PS---I'm the guy who when moving from his apartment to where we live now refused to clean my sink full of dishes AND pack them, I grabbed them all and threw the stupid things in the trash. Throwing crap away is liberating and I got to eat a lot of pizza for a good while because I was too stubborn to go buy new dishes!! BONUS!!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:19 am 
Super-Duper Poster
Super-Duper Poster

Breezy_Ann wrote:
I have to agree with your last post Diary,

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGG!

I am gonna give you the very short version of my extremely shitty day. So we wound up hiring my uncle to drive my van to NC and we are flying out super early Friday morning. My husband has to drive 2 1/2 hours to get us at the airport on Friday. So that left him tomorrow to unload our stuff and get all the furniture put together. I find out today they are delivering my stuff a day late now. I used pods and they have Fucked everything up, the initial delivery and now this. I told them they could not just change my delivery because everything is planned around him unloading tomorrow. I explained that we have 4 small kids and this is really screwing us. They basically told me tough shit, I dare you to do something about it and they won't even give me some kind of discount or anything. Perfect example of the big company knowing the little guy can't do shit. I payed them over $3,000 to be treated like shit. So I am doing the only thing I can and telling everyone I know to think twice before using their company!

After that lovely phone conversation this morning I find out there is a charge I didn't make on my debit card which overdrafted my account. I call the bank and they say I have to come in to dispute it, well my van left Tuesday so I have no vehicle and don't know how I am gonna take care of it!

As if that wasn't enough I get a call from the property management of our new house and am informed the lady screwed up when my husband picked up they keys and we owe them more money! I am still waiting to hear back from my husband on what exactly the contract says. If we do wind up owing the money they were very sneaky.

What the hell is wrong with the world? Is everyone out there now days just a bunch of heartless assholes? Sorry to go off but I really needed to vent. Indeed moving FUCKING SUCKS!

BREEZY,

How do you like your new house? Do you like it better than the old one? How do you like NOrth Carolina as compared to Arizona? North Carolina looks a lot like where I live in deep northeast Texas...lots of tall oak trees lakes hills and streams.
And the people there were definately southern just like Texas ( hey yall) lol. I bet its quite a change from Arizona. Anyway , I hope you like it and get moved in ok...give us an update when you can...
Sincerely,
Stripper

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2011 11:28 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

I am still in AZ, we fly out early tomorrow morning. I haven't been to NC yet. My husband has been out there since Nov 7th and he found the house. I've seen pictures and it is a beautiful home, and so is North Carolina.

I have been talking to a lot of locals on the phone, getting everything scheduled. Every single one of them has been extremely nice and polite. It is a nice change from the west!