It is currently Sat Aug 19, 2017 3:47 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 12:38 am 
Average Poster
Average Poster

I am just wondering if anyone knows if it is possible for the doctor to write a prescription for a year? I will be gone for 2 years and the main thing Im worried about is not being able to get it over there, in Italy, and the price. I have insurance but they will not accept overseas claims. They told me the only thing to do would be to get a years prescription and they can do an override so that I can get the meds. Im not sure exactly how this works, if I would get the entire years worth filled before I go, or if I get in online, I have no idea. When I asked my doctor, well the associate that I see, she said she doesnt know, and I cant get in with my actual doctor for months. Does anyone knows how this works, or if its possible with this medication? Thank you

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:29 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't know if they can give that much narcotic out at one time I would amagin there is no DR that will do thast it sorta sounds crazy I mean thats a lot of suboxon thats going to throw red flags up all over the place and trying to get that trough the airport no way not going to happen you should find out if its used over there for the same thing and try to get it there please let us now what happens best of luck

Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:30 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

I don't know if they can give that much narcotic out at one time I would amagin there is no DR that will do thast it sorta sounds crazy I mean thats a lot of suboxon thats going to throw red flags up all over the place and trying to get that trough the airport no way not going to happen you should find out if its used over there for the same thing and try to get it there please let us now what happens best of luck

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Mon Sep 06, 2010 2:35 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

There is really going to be a lot of "ifs & ands" do this question. A few big ones is the state you live in, who your doctor is, what your dose is, etc. In general, schedule III narcotics can only have six months of refills. There are often ways around things, however. To the letter of the law, it would be difficult to pull this off. For example, one way would be to have the doctor pre-date the prescriptions - but that again is a violation. The biggies here will actually be dose. If you only need 2 to 4 mg a day, what your doc could do is write you for 24 mg a day and that would get you the amount that you need. In this case, it will really come down to what your doc is willing to do.

My suggestion is to have a frank and honest discussion with your doc and lay out what the issue is. See if he or she would be willing to "bend the rules" a bit to get you the amount that you need. Again, the easiest way to do this would be to provide you with a larger daily dose than you really require. If you are already on a high dose, you might consider trying to taper down. The great majority of patients report being able to taper from high doses down to 4 mg/day with little to no problems. That actually might be the best way to go.

Hope that helps.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Sep 07, 2010 4:26 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

Did you find info on the question yet very interested in the outcome thanks good luck please let us know

Post subject: Might be possible.
PostPosted: Sat Sep 11, 2010 9:54 pm 
Power Poster
Power Poster

How much do you need a day? if you need only 4 mg's the doc could write you for like 4-5 8mg's a day.You get it from the pharmacy all at once in one script and off you go!If you need more than 4mg's a day things will be more complicated.
All in all,I think it depends on the doctor and your relation to him or her.I just got 4 months worth of generic Subutex from my doc in NYC to goto Brazil.8 months if I take half a dose!
My doctor and family have been through a lot though having my dad die of small cell lung cancer and my mom hospitalized 4 times for c.o.p.d in the last 3 months.I even have his cell phone#.
I don't think my prior sub doc would have done this for me though.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 13, 2010 2:16 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

Thanks everyone for the answers. I have not yet talked to my doc. if you have read my other question you know the problem im having getting in to see my doc, im seeing associates bc he has so many patients. I have an appt for november though and then i can ask him and ill let yall know. if it helps, I live in texas and i take 16mg a day. I started at 32 and have reduced from that over the past 2 months. Im hoping I will be down to 12 or 8mg by the time i leave. But thanks again and i will post as soon as i find out what we can do about this.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 12:08 pm 
Average Poster
Average Poster

So, what i was told is that my doctor writes a prescription for an online pharmacy for a year, and they send 3 months at a time. Or as was mentioned, he writes my prescriptions for more than i need and i save up. I was moving there because my husband is in the army and is stationed there, but my paperwork for the command sponsership for the army was not approved bc of this medication. I feel pretty shitty right now. My husband and I have worked so hard on all of this and weve been looking foward to this for 2 years and now its all down the drain because of this medication. I hate myself for being on this right now. I wonder why I wasnt strong enough to just detox of the opiates without having to take this. Oh well :(

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 1:04 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Cam, please understand it's NOT a matter of not being strong enough to just go off the opiates you were taking. Addicts simply cannot taper off their drug of choice. If we were we wouldn't be called addicts, now would we. I understand your anger at having to depend on this medication and I think it's perfectly natural. I don't have any real solutions for you and I'm sorry for that. Try to cut yourself some slack. If you were diabetic and your insulin weren't available in the country you're headed for would you feel the same way? Just a thought.

-I'm only responsible for what I say, not for what you understand.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:09 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

so does that mean you cant go all together now? Or even if you wanted to visit suboxone is not allowd on the grounds?????

What if you got a PO box of the grounds of were you would be staying just had the meds sent there?

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Nov 19, 2010 10:10 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

oh yea one thing you could ask your dr about is the buprenorphine patch or chips that people have been talking about.