It is currently Thu Aug 24, 2017 6:58 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Our Sponsors

PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 2:42 pm 
New Poster
New Poster

I am currently in the suboxone program in Indiana and have been clean from pills for 8 months. I just got a job offer to move to New Mexico and make good money.
I really want to move out there. Everyone I know in this town are on pills and I think it would be a good chance for me to restart.
I found a doctor in the town im wanting to move to I just don't know how to go about switching doctors or if its even possible.
If anyone has ever been in this situation or knows any info that could help me I would really appreciate it.
Thanks

Post subject:
PostPosted: Wed Oct 24, 2012 9:49 pm 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

Heya :)

I've done the so called "geographical" thing before. It's not looked upon that well in NA circles, the idea of moving to get away from drugs. And the reasons are legitimate. Mainly the fact that there are drugs available anywhere you go. Also, moving to a new area doesn't change one's personality for any real length of time.

However, I found moving interstate really helpful in some ways. As you said, by moving ... I was instantly removed from all my using peers. Not just that, I also got a new phone number so I didn't get any of those phone calls from dealers telling me they had the good stuff. But the main thing that helped was the new frame of mind that came with moving. It really felt like I had a clean slate. This can really help in those early days.

BUT... that feeling fades eventually, and unless you've done some work on yourself in the meantime, when life starts to get a bit challenging you may find yourself instinctively wanting to reach for your old habit. To prevent this, I went to a rehab for the first few months after I moved. This gave me a head-start on recovery, and helped me get some momentum. Mind you, I wasn't on any Suboxone or methadone. I managed to stay clean 13 months which is still my longest stretch without any opioids to medicate / help my recovery.

Where I ended up falling over was when I relapsed into bipolar depression. It was pretty bad too. I even had some hefty paranoia happening on the side. I lived in a coastal town, and I remember having bad thoughts while looking over the cliffs at the top of "the hill". Eventually I got help for it, got put on some strong anti-depressants and within 2 days I was using. I now know that certain anti-depressants are bad for my recovery. So it's really hugely important that you still manage what factors leads you to using, because that will still be there no matter where you go.

If you're using Suboxone, you may find moving interstate enough of a circuit breaker to stay away from drugs. But eventually, you will find your recovery challenged. Moving may just give you enough of a break to have a chance at staying clean.

Another thing - I knew many people in NA whose main recovery weapon was geographicals. Many of them eventually ran out of places to move, because the moment they messed up they moved again. So moving in itself isn't enough.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 8:31 am 
Long Time Member
Long Time Member

It sounds like you are thinking of moving for good reasons. If you do decide to go, just call the doctor in the new town and see if you can get in. Then ask your current doc if s/he can give you enough to tide you over until your appointment with the new doc.
Good luck.

Our Sponsors
 Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2012 12:33 pm 
Super Poster
Super Poster

In addition to what lillyval said about your dr giving you enough for the move he/she might give you a referral to a new dr in your new location. That might save you the initial induction fees- since you've already paid for them. Run it by your current dr and see how they suggest you handle it

I say go for it- gotta jump at a good job when you have the chance.

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2012 2:39 am 
New Poster
New Poster

Thank you all. At first I wasn't even sure if it was possible to switch doctors so I called the here to help number on the suboxone web site and asked them and they said I could and gave me numbers of doctors where I'm wanting to move. The main reason I'm wanting to move is just for the job. I've been trying to find a job for 6 months and I only have a GED so I can find anything that pays over $9 an hour. I know moving to a different state isn't going to make anything any easier. I just thought that it would be a plus to get away from all my old drug buddies. It can't hurt. I'm excited about the job tho. I was nervous of the thought of moving away from the only place I've ever known but I know I won't miss anything here. I could come back in 5 years and it would be the exact same shit. I'm going to give it a shot and see what happens.
Thanks!!